• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

A Shot In The Dark

Started by JohnP, January 05, 2014, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Egnar man killed in hunting accident
Published: Friday, January 3, 2014 6:06 AM CST
Tragedy struck Egnar last week when a 28-year-old man was killed in an accident while hunting with friends.
Trenten Tyler Sutherland was hunting coyotes with two companions at approximately 11 p.m. on Dec. 27 when the accident occurred. According to police reports, one of his companions accidentally shot him in the head, killing him.
The incident happened on Sutherland’s parents’ property. It is believed that the group was using an optical device known as an illuminator, which highlights animals’ eyes in darkness.
According to San Miguel County Sheriff Bill Masters, the group became separated and Sutherland’s friend was using the device with a rifle when he  apparently mistook his friend’s eyes for those of a coyote.
“It’s a terrible incident and a terrible tragedy, the shooter feels devastated â€" a sad situation.” Masters said.
Egnar is a small unincorporated community along Highway 141 about 50 miles west of Telluride.
The San Miguel County Sherriff’s Office along with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Parks and Wildlife investigated the incident. The investigation concluded this week and the matter has been referred to the Seventh District Attorney’s Office. No one has been charged.
Hunting coyotes at night is legal, and before the group went out that night, they called the Division of Parks and Wildlife to let them know what they were doing. However, Masters said, hunting is inherently dangerous no matter the circumstances.
“This is a hazardous sport,” Masters said. “They were hunting at night, which is legal, but it’s dangerous. I think everybody involved, including the victim, understood that, and accepts a certain amount of risk. And that goes with all shooting sports, that’s part of the tragedy of this situation.”
Hunting accidents are relatively rare in San Miguel County, Masters cannot recall any hunting deaths since he has been here. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was unaware that a persons eyes reflected when hit with a light.  Doesn't sound like an accident to me.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Quote from: JohnP on January 05, 2014, 09:45:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was unaware that a persons eyes reflected when hit with a light.  Doesn't sound like an accident to me.

That's what I was thinking.  :confused:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

weedwalker

Human eyes do reflect just like an animal when you use night vision illuminaters. All but one night hunting accidents I've heard of were from using night vision and shot the person in the head. I think it should be limited to conventional lights for hunting as they don't reflect human eyes.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

slagmaker

Ever see red eye in a picture. There ya go. Not as reflective as a coyotes but yes they do reflect.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

weedwalker

The red eye in a picture is caused by the infrared light focus adjustment. The same as night vision. Just red IR light instead of green.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

FinsnFur

Wow, that would be horrible. :rolleye:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

very sad.   :sad:

I have to wonder how many 5 to 6 feet tall coyotes they have in Colorado.   :wo: 

Dale

hate to hear of stuff like this, totally uncalled for...

never been a fan of night vision equipment... most of the time they are scanning with the scope so it's a serious violation of all safety rules from the very start... I've done extensive night hunting in the past but it was always with conventional lighting, and always with a head light and a shooting light on the gun or tripod...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...