• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Another Redbird Hunt

Started by weedwalker, January 09, 2010, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

It ain't like that in Western Kentucky, Barry.  No mountains, just hills and hollers and some swamps. 

Frogman

Wow!!  Guys that was an awesome hunt and story.  You guys are getting it done.  I really enjoyed huniting with you at Redbird last year Ed.  Seems like there were more coyotes there than we have here in WV.  Ed and Steve, Good shooting!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Jimmie in Ky

And it is not unusual to run into another coyote hunter either. Have even heard the callers going at sunrise myself a time or two. Jimmie

pitw

Ed thanks for the extra picture and information. 10 years ago I'd have loved to get lost in them mountains for a month.  You and Semp have totally blew my preconceived thoughts of what Kentucky looks like.  Up here the only thing we here about it is blue grass and horses.  You guys and your infomercials are awesome. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

jdbp

Good job guys! Call me Ed if you get a day off this week. Jason

KySongDog

Silencer

great hunts, hope we do as well tomorra !!   :yoyo:

weedwalker

Good luck tomorrow Vic. :yoyo: All but one of our responses were to jackrabbit distress. The cold weather has them hungry.

Glad to see you here to Jason. I'll give you a call.

Ed

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

jdbp

Thanks guys. Ed took me out  told me bout the sight, give me some hand calls, then I almost got divorced by calling so much in the house!

JohnP

Thanks for the story and pictures, looks like you had a good time.  Is the Redbird BLM or National Forest?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

Redbird is one of five Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) in the Daniel Boone National Forest.  It is managed by the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife in cooperation with the USDA Forest Service.

weedwalker

John, Where we were hunting was actually Begley WMA (wildlife management area), and Graham WMA. The whole area has been known locally over the years as Redbird. But in the last 4 or 5 years the state has broken it up into several different WMAs. Mostly because of the introduction of the elk herd and being able to assign drawn elk hunters to certain areas with boundaries. As for hunting other game there are no boundaries.

JohnP

Thanks for the answers.  Sure is nice looking country to be hunting in.  Are there any elk in the area you where in? 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

GunDog

Sorry I missed this one fellers. It'd take me a few weeks to drum up that much action. Congrats to ya both on the hunts. They sounded action packed for sure ...  :highclap:

weedwalker

Quote from: JohnP on January 12, 2010, 11:18:35 PMAre there any elk in the area you where in? 

Yes there are a lot of elk in there. They 1st released 1,500 elk in there about 10 years ago. There are now 10,000 in there. We see them every time we go in. The elk are so used to people driving around watching them that you can get very close before they run off. Hunting them is like hunting dairy cattle. Once you find the one you want, just walk up and shoot it. They aren't wild like the elk out west.

jdbp

take me to your honey hole next time Ed!!! :eyebrow:

weedwalker

That's easy Jason. The whole place is a honey hole. :eyebrownod: Now if I can just get a weekday off when we can go. :wo:

Palegroe

After them pics and story your making it easier for me to talk myself and maybe topdawg into coming up and making a weekend out of Red Bird some time weedwalker.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8

weedwalker

No problem Palegroe. It ain't like my spots are a secret anymore.  :nono: The whole gang hunted my spots last year. :shrug: