• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bearman over on PM

Started by Lonehowl, February 16, 2007, 10:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THO Game Calls

Aaron,

There comes a point when common courtesy to other board members takes precedence over one or two guys having a good time.

When a topic, any topic, gets a hit in the form of a new post, it drives that topic to the top of the board. 

The net effect, if there are enough extraneous threads in the forum, is to drive important issues off the main page. 

This is a selfish activity that limits other member's ability to find useful information in a forum.

I for one hope that this activity on PM continues.   It will drive members who want to learn about hand calls to forums where they can actually get some useful information, without having to dig through ten pages of drivel between people who might be better served by honing their call making skills than by discussing killing birds with BB guns.

Just an opinion, but if less time was spent on the silliness, some of these guys might actually learn to do things like – oh  - make their own tone boards for example.

Just a thought.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Custom Call Makers & Collectors Guild
Call Makers & Collectors Association of America
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Lonehowl

Good post Al, I have to agree on that one. I check out PM every day, but it's just getting to silly over there. Not trying to bash, just my opinion.

AWSparrows

Al,

You are correct, and if it happened regularly I would not like it either. However this was one thread and the replies pushed no one down the page. I'm sure it will not happen again for a while.

QuoteJust an opinion, but if less time was spent on the silliness, some of these guys might actually learn to do things like – oh  - make their own tone boards for example.
Was that a dig directed at me from the "tone boards" thread? :shrug:
Either way, I made a few "custom" tone boards since then. The last call I made is an open reed, one piece, all wood, including the tone board. :eyebrow:
Its not finished but I'll post a pic a little later.

Thanks
Aaron

THO Game Calls

Aaron,

My comment there had nothing to do with you, but rather at the individual who chose to turn the thread into a personal attack on BearmanRic. 

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Custom Call Makers & Collectors Guild
Call Makers & Collectors Association of America
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

keekee

"The guys call makers on PM are all very helpful.  I personally don't see a huge competition thing going real hard yet.  It may be to the point that they don't share secrets over the world wide forum but every personal message that I have have send to call makers, including rick, has come back with a very large answer to my question.  Everyone is very helpful and very willing to share their secrets.  On the other hand, for someone selling calls, you need to go where the demand is more.  I will agree that a good call will sell anywhere.  But I personally think that a call maker will sell a lot more over there.  The number of buyers for predator calls over there is probably better than ebay."

True, But you still must sell them a quality call! ( Don't take this the wrong way! ) Quality is a total of all aspects of the call, from finish, to craftsmenship, sound, and durability of the call. And field testing of the calls. There are different ex spectations of a call from the buyers. Its more than just a numbers game to some! You must take pride in your call building! And care about what you send your customers.

Note: I am not saying in any way that the call makers there on PM or any other board are selling non quality calls!

All I am saying is there is more to selling calls than markiting! You must keep your customers happy! And make quality calls that give results. Not just pretty or out of special wood or because you have a name or reach 100,000 people.And you haft to be able to make the call sound good yourself, and help your customers reach that point with your calls as well.

I also think you will find most call makers are happy to share what ever you need to know. On what ever board you go to. There are a few that wont but most are willing to help out anyone who asked.

The " huge competition thing " Has been going on for years, from back in the Turkey call days in the 80's! And this will never change. And I hope it don't! Thats what Makes us all better call makers!

Brent