• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Land between the lakes lives on

Started by CCP, August 05, 2006, 09:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

Been in and out lately sorry for not replying earlier.Dover Tn is on the lower side located at the entrance to LBL. I always stay at the Dover motel but will be at Wranglers camp ground this year. Centerfire .223 is correct there were around 40 people there last year. I didn't get to meet everyone last year but everyone I have spoken to were top notch guys. There are plenty of coyotes there for everyone. lots of guys there with lots of no how and different styles of hunting. I is the learning and sharing of knowledge that I enjoy and maybe  a little of the B.S. :biggrin: :biggrin:

We have lots of info on western coyote hunters and western coyotes. I enjoy learning from eastern hunters about eastern coyotes. If you are from the east this is a must attend hunt. The LBL coyotes are some of the hardest coyotes for me. I will always go to LBL 1st weekend in FEB

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Greenside

Does everyone hunt on the LBL or  do some move out into the surrounding states? Looking at the map  the LBL appears to be about 10x40 miles? I'd think that would get to be abiit crowded if there were about  20 trucks with two hunters each. You must hear some other hunters howling, callling or a least bump into them when going in or out?

Jimmie in Ky

Started sending folks here yesterday so I thought I should go ahead and join up :eyebrow:

Folks have an easy time remembering things when you set traditions. That way they know they can set things up year after year and plan ahead. If I remember right this will be the sixth year of friends gathering to hunt and have a good time doing what we love to do. Which is mainly shoot the bull :biggrin: First weekend of Feb, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Should the first fall on saturday or sunday it would fall to trhe following full weekend.

ANy one planning on coming should check out the link to LBL. HTTP://www.lbl.org

If it becomes booked up at wranglers for that weeekend, there were only two empty cabins left last year, you can check out area accomodations at http://www.kylake.com

If you need any other info just holler at me or CCP

Last year there were 39 people that visited us at the LBL. Some were not members at PM , they just came by to check us out and see what we were about.

Our Chili cook and several of the originals have already committed to attending. I may have also added an old and dear friend to the mix, GC. I believe that Chris will be returning with him. GC is very well learned in the art of chasing mountian country coyotes and kitties. It would be a good chance for you to pick his brain about how he does it. Lord willing and the creek don't rise he will be there.

Because the LBL is a public use area, the animals see more humans in a day that the average farm ground coyote in the east. They have adapted to this place and it's terrain very well. These are probably the toughest animals to get a shot at in the eastern U.S. . They will test the best hunters there are out there. The hunters I know of that have been able to achieve a high success rate in there are very darned few, and even his success rate is low compared to the numbers of animals called in. And no it isn't me! The gentleman makes his living hunting, trapping ,and fishing here in western Ky.I keep hoping I can get him to give a skinning demo sometime. Jimmie

BTW, I found THE E-MAIL RR

centerfire_223

Most people hunt the LBL or at least the ones I have talked to. You may run into someone ever now and then but not very often. Last year I never ran into anyone while in the woods but I did see a couple of guys at their vehicles.

An area 10 miles by 40 miles is a LOT of acres. You can wear out several pairs of boots out there. If you don't want to run into another person, just take off down some of those blocked off roads. You can walk for miles back through them.

One things for certain I have never seen as much coyote sign as their is out there. You could take all of my farms here and put them together and not get as much sign as is out there.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Yeah....I see that now. I just replied to yours. :sneer:
Eyyyy welcome 2 the board :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jimmie in Ky

Greenside, The LBL is kind of like going out west but worse. You get to experience rough terrain and plenty of dogs . Even last year they called in around thirty or so and the populations was cut in half by a disease among the pups. The worse part is that sign is everywhere and it all looks like there should be a coyote behind each tree. It is so steep and rugged that sound does not carry out of the hollow you are in and the thermal winds from the lakes are playing games you know nothing about until you experience them. I have done setups thinking I had the wind fully in my face and control only to light a smoke and watch it make a turn ten feet from me to go down into the hollow I was calling.

In a normal year there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 to 600 coyotes living in that 400 square miles. They eat everything that doesn't move and most of what does  :rolleye: Calling in a single in those years is an uncommon event. They come to the calls in groups of five to seven and one of those has already circled to come in the back door to make you run into the group in front of you. Sound like fun? During the time we will be there dispersal and breeding will be well under way. You may find parts of coyote scattered all over an area the size of a football field, they don't tolerate strangers too well.

As for other coyote hunters, if you stay away from the entrances you don't have a lot of problems. I myself have managed to run into others working an area only once in as long as I have been hunting it. We could take fifty teams of hunters in there and not cover it in a week! Jimmie

FinsnFur

I think I may have created some problems for you guys. :confused:

I wanted to post the LBL on the Calendar...which automatically dumps a copy into the Events Forum.

Rich had this thread going first and now you guys are hopping from forum to forum trying to discuss this thing.

No ones doing anything wrong, don't get me wrong....but would you guys like me to merge the two?....or just leave it as it is?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

CCP

I think merging them would be good
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Jimmie in Ky

I agree with Rich, as long as it isn't a big deal to do. Jimmie

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bob D

Questions about the LBL Hunt

Are atv's allowed on this land? If they are allowed is the terrain too rough for an atv? For those like myself who have never been there, do we just get out there and hunt or is there a hunting plan coordinated with the other hunters there? Can we get a sign up sheet going as to who will be attending? Will you try to get hotel reservations for the hunters or are we on our own? Are there local eating establishments or do we bring our beannie weannies?

Bob

CCP

ATV's are not allowed in area's you can hunt.

"Just get out there and hunt!! We sometimes break out the maps and discuss were we have seen coyotes.There is enough property you should not run into anyone. The hills are steep and sound doesn't travel far,a person does not have to travel far to call.

I don't see a problem with a sign up sheet maybe posted at the top.Still keep discussions here.

I will try and get #'s to the Dover motel on the TN side and Wranglers Camp ground number.

We can call and set up our own reservations there has always been room to spare but,would suggest calling a month ahead to to be sure. I would think it best to wait and see who all will be there. A lot of guys bunk together saves money.

Food only food I know of is in Dover on the TN side Mc D's,  subway and a restaurant. Someone on the KY side can chime in here.

If anyone knows the phone number please post.

I would also like to see Brent (KeeKee) come on in and help with some of the info he has a lot of experience with this.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Mallardsr

Dover Inn  931-232-5556
1545 Donelson Pkwy
Dover,Tn.37058

Owners :Mike & Brenda Ford

They have 30 Units to include some cabins.

straycat

Glad to see all the fine folks on here !  :bowingsmilie:  If all goes well  Thurs and nothing else happens I plan on being at the LBL to see all my 'hero's '. :roflmao:  It will be something I've looked forward to since the day I left last Feb.Great bunch of guys ,could'nt ask for a nicer,more helpful group of some of the best hunters and callers going.
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Rick223

Welcome! welcome! straycat glad you signed up hope to see alot of posts :yoyo:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

centerfire_223

I guess the closest food on the Ky side would be in Cadiz. From Wranglers campground that is about 20 miles or so.

We always just cook up a couple of pots of soup or chili at home then freeze them. that works great, just bring a crockpot and put it on in the mornings and when you come back at night supper hot and ready.

Just remember nothing gas is allowed inside the cabins at Wranglers. Oh and you better bring you an electric HEATER!!!
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Jimmie in Ky

Lets see if I can answer all of that for you Bob.

No atv use. Terrain is pretty rugged and a really good pair of hiking boots is recomended. I took a fall myself last year even wearing good boots :rolleye: You would think that I would know better.

Acomodations you will have to set up yourself. I highly recomend Wranglers campground. Much cheaper than the surrounding hotels and almost centrally located within the LBL heres the link http://www.lbl.org

For eats, all establishments are outside of the LBL. If we do fill the place up and have a lot in attendance we may be able to get the gal at the restaraunt to open up for that saturday, don't count on that though. Bring everything you will need for the 3 days. Cabins are equipped with electricity and have enough juice to run a hot plate and coffee maker. They supply a heater that will warm a small cabin , but they are definately lacking in the large ones, UNLESS it is my cabin where the hot air flows freely  :biggrin:

As for hunting, you can select the area you would like to work yourself. I recomend you download the road and zone map available at the link above so you can study it and get an idea of what you would like to do. I do a lot of the scouting through the winter before all of you come down so that your odds of locating a few are much better. At least I try to have some idea of what the groups are doing by then.Some years it is easy ,and other years all depend on the weather and hunter pressure. Mild winter and there will be squirrel hunters in there every day with their dogs and they pretty much cover the LBL. Let it get good and cold and I will have the place to myself after CHristmas.

ALl that said; follow the rules they have for road use!! If it is not a marked and numbered road , stay off of it. Do not drive out into the fields to park your vehicle!  If something should happen I do have a cell phone and will give you the number when you get there just in case we have to send someone out to get you and your stuck vehicle since some of the marked roads are not that good and require a four wheel drive vehicle. There are not many roads in that bad a shape but there are a few of them.  I will try to have those found by the time of the hunt. They are trying to bring all th roads up into good condition but it takes time with the limited funds Congress hands out. Most of the LBL's funds come from area use fees.

One of the use fees is the LBL hunting permit required . It cost's twenty or twenty five dollars and can be bought online at the state wildlife websites of both Ky and Tenn.

Did I miss anything guy's? Jimmie

straycat

For all of the out of state guys planning on attending the LBL. NOTE: These are 2005-2006 prices........ KY Non resident 5 day small game license - 32.50                    LBL user permit both resident and non resident - 20.00

Wrangler campground cabins -  small: sleeps 4 - 32.00              large: sleeps 8 - 52.00        prices per day
Prices my be slightly more this year.

Hope this helps,Joel
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Jimmie in Ky

They have changed the reservation system up this year. I need to call up there and find out just how it works for certain. But I can tell you that all the cabins are available for those dates. As soon as I know something about it I will post it.

Whether you are a newbie or an old timer. I hope you come down and at least visit with us for a spell.You will be treated like family :biggrin: Jimmie

studabaka

Can you tell us a little about climate and what we might expect?

Also, I noticed that cat season ends 1/31. Is there a significant cat population there and would it make sense for us to consider coming a couple days early and having a go at them?

Thanks for all the info :highclap:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff