• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Land between the lakes lives on

Started by CCP, August 05, 2006, 09:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmie in Ky

As far as climate goes we just have to wait and see what the winter is like. It could be another mild one or bitter cold. We never really know for sure how it will be until that week. Our first hunt was bitterly cold at night and barely above freezing during the day. We had our 3rd hunt in dang near our shirt sleeves. It got to fifty that saturday and winds were light all day. Last year was very moderate with lows above freezing and highs around forty or so.Winds were at ten to fifteen for saturday with cloud cover.

The cat population is good. Last winter it was hard to get out of the truck without seeing some sort of sign from a cat. Cat hunting is with mouth calls only!  I only managed to call in one last year and did not get a shot at it in the cover I was working. Where I have seen them is up on the ridges in late afternoon and early evening.  There seems to be at least one cat for every drainage up there. Finding them during legal hours is the problem, it all looks so good. I know of at least two large toms, and no I aint a tellin'  :sneer: I haven't gotten mine yet.

If I were coming down for a cat, I would come down on the sunday before. Gives you time to look around and find an area to concentrate on.Jimmie

Mallardsr

bowhuntr09

Guys,

Would this hunt be a worthwhile trip for a couple of newbies from VA? We are both as green as it gets to coyote hunting and any predator hunting for that matter. I have been trying with no luck for the past year or so, but there just not in my area in any great numbers and to the best of my knowledge I have never had one respond. I have a couple of mouth blown calls, a FX-3, couple of DVD's including Keekee's "Calling in the East" and Byron South's "Calling in the Thick Stuff" but really need someone experienced to show me the ropes. Is there anyone going who would be interested and willing to help school a couple of newbies? It's a long way to go just beat my head against a tree.  :eyebrownod:

slagmaker

First beating your head agaisnt a tree wont call in coyotes, maybe woodpeckers but coyotes just arnt intrested in the hollow sound that your head makes.

I wont be able to go to the LBL but I am sure that there will be people there that would be more than happy to show you the ropes. Sounds like you are off to a good start with your equipment and educational material.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

I'd say most definitely Bowhuntr.
Keep in mind there is no guarantee you or anyone else is gonna put any furdown. But it's certainly a great place to learn somethings from some seasoned callers.

You won't be the only one looking for tips and advise, and we encourage your presence. This is not a contest or competition in anyway. This is a hunt to gather amongst friends, meets new ones, and teach a few things to those that are looking.

I'm gonna show ALL theses pro's a little something when I get there.  :iroll:  :laf:

By the way...welcome to the site.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bowhuntr09

Thanks for the welcome! I have been going to the "other" site for a couple of years...didn't know this one had popped up. I guess what I am hoping for if we can make it out is that we will not be left to our own devices and just bumbling through the woods "hoping" we are doing it right. It would be nice to know we could team up with someone experienced to see how its done.