• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Camping stoves

Started by coyote101, June 24, 2013, 11:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I've accumulated a lot of camping and backpacking stoves over the years. Some of them I bought trying to find "the best" backpacking stove. Several of them I picked up at yard sales just because they were a bargain. Most of them don't get used and I should probably get rid of them, but they don't eat anything so I just keep them. I have given some away and sold some on ebay and these are pretty much what I have left:

Coleman 413G
This is a big, heavy suitcase stove. It uses white gas or "Coleman fuel" and requires pumping to pressurize the tank. It usually takes a couple of minutes to heat the generator and get a white gas stove burning properly. Good for car camping or big groups but not much fun to carry.

Coleman 413H
Almost identical to the one above. I have taken this stove to Canada when traveling with a large group.

Coleman 425F
This is a newer and smaller stove that I picked up at a yard sale for next to nothing

Coleman 5420
This is a propane stove that doesn't require all the pumping and heating of the generator that the white gas stoves do. Just attach the fuel source, turn the knob, light and you're ready to cook. It can use a small propane cylinder or be attached to a large tank like you use on your bbq grill.

Old military field stove
I've never used this stove, but it works fine. 

Coleman 508
More yard sale finds that I picked up for a few bucks apiece. These are also white gas stoves.

Coleman Peak 1 multi-fuel
This can use white gas or unleaded gasoline, but I stick with white gas. I picked this up for three dollars at a sale a few years ago. We took this one to Canada last year. It is a good stove with a nice adjustable flame, but the flame adjusting knob is very small, hard to turn and very difficult to reach when there is a pot on the burner.

Camp master propane
A simple single burner propane stove. The propane stoves are easy to use but not very good for backpacking because the fuel canisters are large and heavy.

Coleman Peak 1 Apex
This is the stove we took to Canada this year. It is a white gas stove that uses a separate fuel bottle. The burner is very similar to the Peak 1 multi-fuel stove above and the fact that it doesn't sit atop its fuel tank gives it a lower center of gravity, making it a very stable stove. It also has a long flame adjuster which makes it very east to adjust the flame while cooking. I got this at a pawn shop several months ago for seventeen dollars. 

MSR Whisperlite International
This is a great stove. I only use white gas in it, but by changing the fuel orifice it can burn almost anything. I got it from a retired Special Forces guy who had carried it all over the world and burned gasoline, kerosene and even peanut oil in it. These stoves burn very hot, but do not simmer very well. If I had only one backpacking stove, this would be it.

MSR Rapid fire
This is a canister stove that is very similar in appearance to the Whisperlite, but uses butane or isobutane or some similar type of mixed fuel canister. Because these fuel canisters don't have to be as strong as propane cylinders, they are much smaller and lighter and consequently much more practical for backpacking. The canister stoves don't do as well in cold weather as the white gas stoves, but they are easier to operate. Just turn it on, light it and you're ready to go. 

Campingaz bluet
Another cylinder stove that uses a mixed fuel canister. These stoves are very popular around the world, but not as common in the U.S. and the fuel can be hard to find. 

Old Campingaz bluet
This is on older model stove. On these older models, the tank can't be removed from the burner once it is attached, or the fuel will be lost.

Optimus 8R
Another great white gas stove. These little things are very simple and nearly bullet proof. They need a little bit of warm up time because the tank is unpressurized and builds pressure as it heats up. This was my first backpacking stove and I used it for several years. I got it at a yard sale for a dollar over twenty years ago.

Stetsco Hiker's stove
A cool little stove that my wife got on an online auction for a few dollars. 

Sterno stove
Really just a pot stand that holds a small can of Sterno fuel.

Esbit solid fuel stove
This little folding stove uses Esbit fuel tabs. Any solid fuel like hexamine or trioxane will do. I bought this stove in Germany in 1984 while I was in the Army and carried it in my flight helmet bag until I retired.

Home made "Pepsi can" alcohol stoves
These little things burn alcohol, weigh just a few grams and are very popular with ultra light backpackers. Most of them require some sort of pot stand and wind screen because they are very susceptible to the slightest wind. I have made a couple dozen of these things. These were made from V8 and Mountain Dew cans.

MSR fuel bottles
I carry spare fuel in MSR fuel bottles. They come in 11, 22 and 33 ounce sizes. I have about a half dozen of the large ones. The Whisperlite fuel pump screws directly to these fuel bottles, so when one bottle is emptied there is no need to refill, simply unscrew the empty and attach the full.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

slagmaker

That is a wonderfull collection of stoves. When i hiked Philmont our Scout Master had an stove that used alcohol. Wish i knew rbT name of that one. I know it would make three cups coffee quick.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

That is quite a collection of stoves.  Several bring back some memories - some good and some not so good.  Now if I am ever in need of some advice on camp stoves I know who to contact.

Jerry

HaMeR

Dad bought a Coleman like one of the 1st 3. We used it on the pontoon boat when we would go out for the day & even around the popup camper when we would spend the 3 day weekends at the lake when I was a kid. Nice collection of stoves you got there.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dave

Wow that is a lot of stoves.  You must have a separate shed to house them all.
I'm figuring on packing one (or maybe two as there may be three of us) like the 'Camp Master Propane' type up into Colorado come Sept.

KySongDog

I have had some of Pat's cooking and its pretty good.  I can see now that he's had a lot of practice cooking on camp stoves.   :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Awesome post Pat :yoyo:
How bad am I going to offend you if I move it down to equipment for safe keeping and easy searching? :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

That's fine with me Jim.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bigben

Id like to find one of those camping stoves you have in the first three pics.  I have a peak apex 1 that I took with me out to philmont.  I still have it and use it from time to time.  I made a couple of them alchol stoves as well in scouts.  pretty neat post.

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

WldWldWest

Great post Pat, What a cool collection :bowingsmilie:
I cant keep up with you but gonna show what I got :shrug:

IF YOU MOVE IT JIMBO NO ONE WILL SEE IT!!! :argh: :argh: :argh:
This is good stuff!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

FinsnFur

They'll see it. It'll have a pretty lil pointer setting where your standing now :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

WldWldWest

I use to pack this Ole Buck stove in my younger days!
Actually it belonged to my Dad and he took it to all his deer camps, spect its been in the Fam for 60yrs or longer
It's retired now and just sits in my garage, I still cook on it on occasion. (Actually I just like to show it off when I can :biggrin:)

Next up my old Colmans that have been all over the country with me at one time or another.
I think the better looking of the 2 is the oldest 1961 if I remember right?
its a 413G

Now my Backpack stove weighs in at 3.8oz works off solid fuel and you use a Fosters beer can for the pot!

Now the Classical Hobo Stove! Dont be Jeolous Pat! This one is still under construction as I stepped on my last one :confused:
The actually work really well just kinda unhandy to pack, Almost guaranteed to cut yourself before you get to where your goin

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

FinsnFur

That old stove in the first pic Doug is sweet :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 26, 2013, 05:47:29 PM
That old stove in the first pic Doug is sweet :eyebrow:

+1    Yep, that is a major camp stove that looks like it won't blow over.

Jerry

nailbender

Quite a collection men!

yotefever

I have the small Colman 508 and really like it's simply use but like my MSR Dragon Fly ( I just realized I have a backpack with the same name by  Eberlestock  :doh2:) because it sounds like a jet engine when on high.  :eyebrownod:
I also have two of the two burner Colmans one for $10 and the other for free. Nice for car camping.
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"