• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Leupold scope question . . .

Started by Frogman, July 31, 2013, 10:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

I am considering this Leupold scope for my AR coyote rifle.  VX-3 4.5-14x40mm Adj. Obj. CDS.

I currently have the Nikon ProStaff 3 - 9 and have been happy with it.  But I have the money for a nicer scope and would like to have a little more power.  I have looked at the Nikon Coyote scope but I don't like the circle reticle.  Most of the guys at the range swear by the Leupolds and their very good warranty.  Just wondered what you guys thought??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bigben

I bought a used rifleman last summer. I used it for a bit but noticed the friction adjustments were not accurate and the power ring was tight. I sent it back and they fixed as well as upgraded the lens to the new er coated ones. In all i like it. But i do like nikons. Maybe look into the buckmaster line from nikon as well? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

KySongDog

4.5x might be a little too much for close up woods hunting.   If you hunt cow pastures and fields, might be OK. 

Carolina Coyote

I had never been a fan of Bushnell until I started using their Trail Cameras and then Bushnell bought out Millet Scopes and I had a Millet that got the main tube bent and I sent it back but Bushnell would not make it good but gave me a good buy on one of the Bushnell scopes ( $275.00 ) it turned out to be a junker and after having to send it back for the second time I asked if I could upgrade and they said what do you want I told them I would like to try the 6500 Elite their top of the line scope, They send me one no charge, This scope has a lifetime Bullet proof warranty, anything goes wrong with it they replace it, The Scope is 2.5 x 16x 50 mm and so far very pleased with it. Their Trail cameras I have had problems with some of the older models and when I send them back for repairs even if the warranty has expired or if they cannot fix they send their top of the line in replacement at no charge so they have made a believer out of me, for sure they are worth checking out . cc

HaMeR

I seriously doubt that anybody has ever had an unresolved issue or been unhappy with a Leupold.

I have a 6-18x40 on my .204 & feel the 6x is too much in the type of woods we have to hunt Jim. The LBL has more places with a more open woods so it would be good there. I'm looking to re-scope Dad's old .222 & I believe it'll be wearing a 4-12x40 Swift Premier. I think 3x is better for the terrain & woods that we hunt around here but the 4-12 Swift is looking for a set of rings to call home.

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

Glen,

I have a Burris FastFire II mounted at a 45% angle to the right of my scope on my AR for the close ones out to 50 yards.  I just wanted a little more power than the 3 - 9 I already have.  Also wanted to upgrade as I have some money that came in and if I don't use it for something it just seems to fritter away.

Jim

bigben

Mine is 4-12x40 power and like it for the woods of pa
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Okanagan

Leupies are very good good and their warranty is excellent. I like them and use them.  The scope you mention is too big in power and physical size for me and my style but might be just right for you. 

I'm not a great shot and so call stuff to get it to come up close to me where I can have a close shot.  My personal style is to get into thick stuff most of the time to call where I can't see very far anyway.  Even in the open if a critter is heading my way, I hunker down and let it come closer if it will.  Most of the time I'm concerned about threading a bullet through a small hole in brush and so want a low mounted small diameter scope that gives me a line of sight close to bore and bullet path for the first 50 yards. 

I write this not entirely to highjack your thread with "my stuff"   :biggrin: but to consider what your style of hunting is.  Buy a scope to fit what you do.  If you call wide open places and tend to shoot a long ways across open fields, you may want the big scope and deal with close up sneakers if they happen.    If you hunker in weedy ditches and call things close, the big scope may not be ideal.  On coyotes and many big game animals, I chronically have more trouble with animals too close for the scope to focus on than I do with having enough glass for long range shots.  YMMV and that's OK.  Make the scope fit your preference.

For calling predators I went from a 2-7x32 to a 3-9x33 to a 6-18x40 (briefly) to a 3-9x40 and in recent years deliberately back to a 2-7x33 for my specific calling rifle.  I knew the 6-18 Leupie I got on a horse trade deal had too much power on the low end for my use so didn't keep it long.

Oops, missed your Burris Fastfire II comment.  Adjust and dilute my nattering accordingly!

FinsnFur

Never owned one cause I could never afford one. But I'm reading :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Okanagan,

I agree with what you said in your post.  As far as size goes the Leupold I'm looking at is nearly the same physical size as my current Nikon 3 - 9 Prostaff.  I'm not sure a low end higher quality 4.5 power scope will be much different on close shots as the 3 power I already have.  Most of my coyote kills have been 50 to 100 yards.  Under 50 I use the side mounted Burris red dot sight.  For ground hogs and prairie dogs I shoot a little further.  We also have a local range that is doing ground hog matches where you shoot out to 500 yards.  They have an AR category I can shoot in.  So I am thinking about getting the Leupold and trying it.  If I'm not happy with it on the coyote rifle, I can always put it on my .308 or another rifle and put the Nikon back on the AR coyote rifle.  I will let you guys know how this works out!  Thanks for all the input!

Jim

Okanagan

To have the Fast Fire AND a scope is a new one to me.  Great idea, a modern and much more accurate version of the old see thru mounts with iron sights below a scope.

Admitting my dinosaur status.   :huh:

KySongDog

Okanagan

I believe this, or something similar, is what Frogman is talking about on the side mount Fastfire.

Click on the pic below.

Frogman

Semp,

Thanks, that is exactly what I was talking about.  The 3 gun matches I sometimes shoot in use that setup.  A couple of years ago at LBL a coyote nearly ran me over it came in so hard.  I couldn't even pick it up in the 3 power scope so I had to aim down the barrel of the AR.  It was about 10 yards away.  Now all I have to do is cant the rifle to the left and the red dot is instantly available!  Works great at the range, haven't used it yet on a coyote.

I went ahead and ordered the Leupold from a local gun shop.  I will let you guys know how it works out.  Thanks for all the responses.

Jim

Carolina Coyote

I seriously doubt that anybody has ever had an unresolved issue or been unhappy with a Leupold.

HaMer, No offense on my part at all as I bought Leupold for each of my grandsons for Christmas a few years back as that is what they wanted They like them, to me they are overpriced for what you get , my right eye is weak and I can barely see the crosshairs and in low light can't see them at all, to each his owned, but I know several that had unresolved issue's with Leupold.cc

HaMeR

None taken Carl. Thanks for letting me know somebody has had problems with them. This is the 1st I've heard of any.  I do agree with the over pricing of them tho.   I've become a big fan of the Swift scopes these last couple years & do like what I get for the price.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

The only compliant i have heard is the ret is not in line with the turrets and they wont fix them unless you really get nasty with them. Nikon has good warrenty service and ya get mire then what you pay for

Rich

Leupold scopes are over priced. Buy a Nikon Monarch and never look back. Their Buck Masters models are also good, but the Monarch's are super great.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

FOsteology

Over the past several years, I've had more QC issues with Leupold than any other brand. I'm friends with the folks at Hill Country Rifles, and both Dave and Matt have noted the same.

Having said that, I really like Leupold's VX-6 illuminated series. Much more affordable than other comparable and better illuminated scopes. Their new rheostats are a HUGE improvement.

The VX-R is not too shabby either.

For your AR, especially for utilizing it for predators, an illuminated reticle is the way to good IMHO. Unless you're precluded from hunting predators and varmints at night, then it's a moot point.

The VX-R 3-9x40mm or 2-7x33mm would be a good choice.

Leupold's higher magnification scopes are not as easy to get behind as the lower magnification scopes. The eye box and eye relief just isn't as generous.

WldWldWest

Jim I have been using Leupold's for 30 years and I only had one fail, Sent it back and with exceptional customer service and about 2 weeks I had it back on the rifle.
Not a fan of the Rifleman series as they aren't actually Leupold's, The quality of their lesser scopes have seemed to have diminished over the years (VX 2's and under) but the upper end scopes are GTG I currently own about 11 or 12 most being the MK4 series with 0 problems. Leupold's customer service is first rate and the scopes are very modular as far as changing out the reticle or turrets, usually you will have it back in a week or two.

Nikon customer service is virtually nonexistent but then again you get what you pay for.

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

nailbender

Another Leupold fan here.  Spend a whole day on a Pdog town and quality really matters where eye strain is concerned.