• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

HaMeRed some groundhogs with the mighty 17!!

Started by HaMeR, May 29, 2015, 05:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaMeR

Got permission on a new piece of farm land for groundhogs this past Sunday. So we went out that evening & I took out Momma & 2 pups. Went back yesterday evening & shot the other 3 pups. 1st & 3rd slid back down in the hole & the 2nd one laid out on the mound. Only shooting 40yds with the Marlin & Winchester 17gr'ers.

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

They sure got the mound wore out! Great job Glenn I wish we had them like it use to be.

Hawks Feather

HaMeR,

You are having WAY too much fun with groundhogs.  At least the pups will be nice and tender on the grill.

Jerry

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

CCP

Good job Glenn. I finally got a decent foreman I can trust so will start taking a few weekends off and show up at some of your new farm lands with you. LOL. Will call you later today..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

HaMeR

Thanks everybody!! Not sure anybody can have way too much fun. If I did then I would just quit.  :nono: :nono:

I'll be sending you some groundhog seedlings Dan!! Can you stitch hides back together by chance??  :shrug:

Going out to cruise around that property this AM to see what all is there for sure.

Richard-- When the hay comes off we should have a bunch of little ones out looking for their own demise.  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

Sorry I'm not very good at stitching Glenn I'm better at making holes! Lol.
You canning those young pups? Slag could cook up some stew at lbl.

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on May 29, 2015, 05:29:17 PM
HaMeR,

You are having WAY too much fun with groundhogs.  At least the pups will be nice and tender on the grill.

Jerry

Good shooting!

Do you eat groundhogs?  I imagine they would taste like golden marmots.

Saw my first ever groundhogs this spring while I was in Pennsylvania.  First one was 20 yards off of a highway in a green field as we drove by, and the second one was across the creek behind my daughter's house, about 30 yards from us.  They are a lot bigger than I expected!

nastygunz

They were pretty regular table fare when I was a kid growing up. I recall them is being pretty tasty clover fed! We ate a lot of raccoon too.

FinsnFur

Table fare?
Canning them?
We ate a lot of raccoon?
Pups will be nice and tender on the grill?

:sick2: :puke:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 30, 2015, 10:16:11 PM
Table fare?
Canning them?
We ate a lot of raccoon?
Pups will be nice and tender on the grill?

:sick2: [emoji14]uke:
Why not?
They eat grass and are clean after you get past the dirt in there hair.
Hogs eat anything and are delicious!
Just a big ugly rabbit.

HaMeR

I haven't eaten groundhog in years!! Since I moved out from home. The young ones are tasty. They eat the same thing as deer & we all love venison right?? To me they aren't as gamey as rabbit for some reason. Maybe I should pt some away for the "LBL stew" eh??  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

I've never seen a Golden Marmot let alone have the opportunity to shoot or sample one Ok.  I'm thinking it would have to be a young of the year to be any good tho.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

If you can get slag to cook it I'll eat it![emoji491] [emoji486]
I'm sure he can stew up something good that would fill tired belly's.

Okanagan

Groundhog stew at the LBL sounds good!  Since I can't make it I'm all for it.   :highclap:  Actually I'll bet it is good.

Yellow-bellied marmot is the more usual name for what I first heard called golden marmot.  They look like a groundhog to me and have kind of yellowish hair on their front and belly.  The young ones used to be regular fare for inland Indians of BC and WA State.

slagmaker

Young ground hog is might tasty. So is a barbecue made from young racoon.

It has been a bit sense I have cooked with either but if someone brings one  I am up for it.

The trick With racoon is make sure you get the glands out of the legs as quick as you can, then boil him to get as much grease out as possible. Then shred the meat and add to a slow cooker with you favorite barbecue sauce. Simmer and you will end up with a meal that would make ya slap ya momma
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

I have a few animals I won't eat as long as I can afford to buy spam and possum and coon are at the top of my list![emoji37]
Both eat to much nasty stuff anything that will crawl inside something's ass and eat won't be going in my mouth.[emoji55]
Unless I'm starving and about to die.[emoji88]
But ground hogs seem like they would taste great.

slagmaker

Opossum is good if you bring him home and Feed him good clean food stuff. Once his fur turns shiny he is ready to butcher. Opossums will tame up in that short time and follow you around and learn tricks like a dog would.

I may know all that but I still don't eat opossums
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

I remember possum and sweet potatoes baked/roasted together when I was a little kid, some of my earliest memories.  We had a black neighbor not far down the dirt road from where we lived in Eastern Oklahoma who used to cook it.  They knew I liked it so they would invite me over. 

HaMeR

Marmots & groundhogs are close to being one & the same but they aren't. I don't know much about them but I've heard from folks in Washington?Oregon that they are much thinner skinned than their Eastern Cousins.

Mom used to just cook the legs. She would roll em in flour & corn meal then fry them. Once she had a solid breading she would bake them with veggies. I should ask her if she remembers how she made them.

I'm thinking drop the legs in a crock pot with veggies & let it set for about 12hrs.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11