• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First success from the box blind

Started by coyote101, October 16, 2015, 09:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I built a couple of wooden box blinds this year; one in the spring and one a couple of weeks ago. The one I built in the spring was made from scrap 2X4s and old pallets. I decided yesterday morning to try for a turkey from the pallet blind.

I had a jake and a hen decoy out and was setup in the blind by 6:00, an hour before sunrise. Nothing much moving the first hour, but around sunrise things picked up a little. I saw several deer, a coyote, and a flock of about fifteen turkeys come from a wood line to my left, around three hundred yards away. They were feeding and not paying much attention to my calling or decoys.

Then, about 8:15 a couple of young toms came around the corner of the wood line to my right, headed in the direction of the little flock. I gave them a couple of yelps and they looked my way. They spotted the decoys and came at a trot in my direction. They went right to the jake decoy and sort of circled him and checked him out. One of them stopped and gave me a clear shot at about fifteen yards and I let fly. He jumped into the air, went a few yards and was done.

Looking out over the decoys. The toms came from around the corner of the tree line to the right, which is obscured by the glare of the sun:

Looking back at the blind from where the bird was hit:

Looks like the blind is going to work out.

This is the sixth turkey I've taken with this crossbow. I really like this thing:
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
Gotta love a plan that works.  :highclap:
How many days into the season?
Good job.
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Quote from: pitw on October 16, 2015, 10:15:24 PM
:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
How many days into the season?

The crossbow season opened October 1st, and runs through this Sunday. It reopens on November 14th and runs till the end of December. I've been out three other times with no luck, but it worked out yesterday.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Way to go Pat!! You've become those Turkeys worst nightmare!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

What are you using for broadheads. I want to Fall hunt them here too & I'm not allowed to shoot anything larger than rimfires right now.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dave

Congrats Pat.  Your work is starting to pay dividends. 
I was reading along and was wondering what you were talking about with "They went right to the jake decoy and sort of circled him and checked him out. One of them stopped and gave me a clear shot at about fifteen yards..."  then saw the pic of you in front of the shack with the x-bow.  Ahh - now it makes sense.  I was thinking shotgun and 'SHOOT!' when you said they were circling.  I've never given a turkey a chance to circle anything!  (HuntnCarve can verify that)

coyote101

Quote from: HaMeR on October 17, 2015, 05:47:08 AM
What are you using for broadheads. I want to Fall hunt them here too & I'm not allowed to shoot anything larger than rimfires right now.

I use 3-bladed Rage mechanical broad heads for turkey and deer. They do their job if I do mine and put the arrow in the right place.

Pat
NRA Life Member

riverboss

Great job Pat!

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on the bird.  Especially with a bow - crossbow or any other type.

Jerry

Okanagan

Yes!  Congrats.  You are deadly with that thing. 

Carolina Coyote

Good job Pat now start practicing with your sling shot.

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bambam

Frogman

WTG!!  That's some good shooting!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

That blind looks nice enough to live in :eyebrownod: