• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My First Archery Rosie

Started by code, September 19, 2016, 11:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

code

Two days of braving crazy rain and wind payed off when I heard a bull respond to my bugle on the first clear morning of our trip. I cow called my way in to where I thought I heard the bull. After 500 yards of moving closer I gave two cow mews and the whole forest erupted with elk running up. I thought for sure the herd had smelled me and busted but I'm pretty sure the bull just didn't want the threat of a possible challenger near him. The last I saw of the herd was them cresting a ridge a few hundred yards above me. I followed their tracks to the top and was suddenly met by a bugle below me and a bugle above. It seemed like a good idea to just sit there and see if one of the bulls would make his way over to me. Not five minutes into calling I hear the top bugles getting closer. I snuck up the hill about 50 yards but was suddenly stopped when I saw antlers peaking out from behind a tree. I have him a muffled cow call and he bugled FROM TEN YARDS AWAY!!  I could see the tips of his tines peeking around the tree and I decided it was time to draw my bow. About three seconds passed and he started walking right by me. The bull was broadside at FOUR yards when I released my arrow. He whirled around and climbed about 100 feet before expiring on a beautiful bench.

Bow: 81# Hoyt Nitrum 34
Sight: Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL
Release: Spot Hogg Wise Guy
Arrows: Easton FMJ dangerous game 300's weighing 678gr with broadheads
Broadheads: RAD Ti-Con 100gr
Optics: Vortex
Calls: Phelps Game Calls

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

nastygunz

Dang!  That sounds like a heart pounder!

FinsnFur

In more way then one Nasty. lol...were too old for all that climbing :laf:
Awesome write up Code! Congrats on that beaut! :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

My god what a story!! Congrats on a super hunt and a super elk.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

pitw

Congrats on getting 'er done Code. :yoyo: :yoyo:  4 Yards is a step for them boys. Thanls for the great report and pics. :bowingsmilie:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Dave

Wow!  What a beautiful looking bull and a great story.  Congrats and thanks for the write up/pics.
Must've been an incredible feeling to have one scream at you from that close - almost shake the soul out of ya

pitw

Quote from: Dave on September 20, 2016, 06:28:51 AM
Must've been an incredible feeling to have one scream at you from that close - almost shake the soul out of ya

Not married, eh.
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

LMFAO :alscalls: :alscalls:...and...I think Code needs his own hunting show :yoyo: :yoyo:

Quote from: pitw on September 20, 2016, 08:21:56 AM
Quote from: Dave on September 20, 2016, 06:28:51 AM

Not married, eh.

Hawks Feather

Thanks for taking all of us along with you on your hunt and congratulations on a really nice bull.     :highclap:

Jerry

JohnP

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Just got home all stove up from packing Code's elk.  Well, part way packing.  :innocentwhistle:  I strayed off route and got into ground so steep it was too dangerous for me to navigate with a (moderately) heavy pack, got exhausted fighting the terrain and finally had to call Code on the walkie talkie to come take my pack up the last few hundred yards.

Here are a few more pics. 

Really thick and heavy mass, along with good length on main beams and tines.  Measured above the burr, the base of one antler is 12 inches circumference and the other is 11 7/8.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Okanagan on September 20, 2016, 11:29:41 PM
finally had to call Code on the walkie talkie to come take my pack up the last few hundred yards.

I cant say I blame ya lol
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Great Story!!   At four yards who needs a bow you could have just stabbed him!    :laf:

Congratulations!   :congrats:

code

Thanks for all the comments guys!
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

coyote101

Congratulations on a beautiful trophy.  :congrats: Thanks for sharing the story of your hunt.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing