• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

2016 Buck tag filled....

Started by HuntnCarve, October 07, 2016, 08:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Got a call from my buddy Dave inviting me down for an archery hunt.  We hunted that evening, but had no luck.  So this morning I hopped up into my stand on Dave's property.  I was there about 45 minutes when I see this buck coming through the thick brush.  The wind was blowing directly his way, and I could see him searching for me.  His nerves got the best of him and he turned and walked away.  About then I grabbed my "HuntnCarve" grunt call and gave a few grunts.  The buck started coming back my way.  When he held up in the brush 25 yards out, I gave a few more quick grunts.  He slowly made his way back into an opening about 20 yards away.  I did not have a clear shot, so I waited.  A few seconds later he started moving through a small opening.  As he was quartering away, I took my shot after slowing him with a bleat.  He crashed through the brush dead away from me.  I regained sight of him about 50 yards out.  He was wobbling, and then he went down. 
I radioed Dave who was up at the house.  "Got my buck!"  Dave was excited and headed on down to my stand.  He had never seen this buck before? It was a big bodied 7pt.  Dave kindly snapped a few photos of me and the buck.  He even hooked up the wagon to his quad and saved me a torturous drag.  Many "thanks" to my dear friend Dave for his hospitality.  Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor.

HuntnCarve
Dave 

gravesco hunter

Very healthy looking buck,also some good eating their congrats

coyote101

Very nice.  :yoyo: Congratulations Dave.  :congrats: What crossbow are you using?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Wow...that was a short season! :highclap:
Nice job Dave
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HuntnCarve

Thanks guys!  Pat, I use an Excalibur Matrix 405 crossbow.  I picked it up a few years back for something new and faster.  I still have my original Excalibur Exocet crossbow which killed a pile of deer over the years.  The 405 is a 290 Lb draw weight vs 200 Lbs for the Exocet.  The 405 kicks out a bolt at 405 fps vs 330 fps on the Exocet.  I guess that all translates into how many extra yards I have to look beyond the deer to find my bolts after the shot.  LOL! 

HuntnCarve
Dave

Hawks Feather

Dave,

Congrats on the nice looking buck.  I have heard great things about those 'HuntnCarve' calls that you mentioned.   :innocentwhistle:   With getting him so quickly you will have time to make a few more carvings or go after a groundhog or two.

Jerry

HaMeR

Way to go Dave!! That's a dandy buck for sure!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  I had my old Horton out the other day!!  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Carolina Coyote

Good Job Dave , Thanks for sharing . cc

riverboss

Looks good! Back straps for supper tonight.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

pitw

Another good story with a great ending Dave. :yoyo: :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Coulter

Nice going Dave...Bring on the venison jerkey!! Congrats!

Dave

Very nice Dave - congrats!  And no problem with having you down - always a good time.

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 08, 2016, 07:13:00 AM
With getting him so quickly you will have time to make a few more carvings or go after a groundhog or two.

Jerry
Sorry Jerry, he'll be too busy pushing that 'big' buck by me to be fiddling with calls or looking for groundhogs!

Okanagan

Whoee!~ That's a nice buck and the story of how you worked him with grunts and bleats is an excellent tutorial for me.  I was wondering today as I drove home from SeaTac if it is too early to be grunting and rattling for whitetails.   I usually put off hunting for whitetails till November though our seasons are open now.

Hope Dave can connect with this buck's big brother!

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Dave on October 08, 2016, 12:09:27 PM
Very nice Dave - congrats!  And no problem with having you down - always a good time.

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 08, 2016, 07:13:00 AM
With getting him so quickly you will have time to make a few more carvings or go after a groundhog or two.

Jerry
Sorry Jerry, he'll be too busy pushing that 'big' buck by me to be fiddling with calls or looking for groundhogs!

So that was your plan.  Give Dave a really nice buck so that he will give you one that is even better.  I like your plan.

Jerry

HaMeR

Sounds like a cheap plug for HuntnCarve calls to me!!  :noway: :noway:

:alscalls: :alscalls:  Purdy cool you used your own calls.  I used your wooden mouthpiece design for a couple crow calls I made & shot crows with them. THAT is really cool!! Congratulations once again on a fine buck Dave!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

zack.klan

Zack

HuntnCarve

Thanks guys!  I was telling the wife the other day..."If I knew what I know now about deer hunting back when I was younger.  I sure would have been a lot more successful.   Back when I started archery hunting I did not even know what a grunt call was?  Fast forward many years... Now I have used my grunt calls along with other folk,  to bring in several bucks.  It's a thrill when you are able to persuade that buck to do a 180 and come back around.  Today's hunters are privy to a lot of new equipment and information that was not available, or had not been invented, back in the day.  It's a grand time for hunters. 
But in the end, at least for me, it's no longer about filling every tag.  I truly enjoy the time spent with old friends.  Many is the time Dave and I sat at his dining room table early morning drinking coffee and talking away.  Only to realize it's suddenly daylight.  We should have been on our stands long before then. LOL!  Never regretted it one bit.  Good luck to the rest of you.  Enjoy the hunting days spent with friends and family!

HuntnCarve
Dave

Okanagan

Quote from: HuntnCarve on October 09, 2016, 11:06:55 AM

But in the end, at least for me, it's no longer about filling every tag.  I truly enjoy the time spent with old friends.  Many is the time Dave and I sat at his dining room table early morning drinking coffee and talking away.  Only to realize it's suddenly daylight.  We should have been on our stands long before then. LOL!  Never regretted it one bit.  Good luck to the rest of you.  Enjoy the hunting days spent with friends and family!

HuntnCarve
Dave

Dave, with those words you captured the best of it.  Thank you.

bambam

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!