• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Saw a cougar by the highway

Started by Okanagan, October 23, 2016, 09:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

A few days ago driving south on Highway 9 in WA State to pick up my wife at the Seattle airport, a mountain lion was standing in a small side road 25 yards off the highway.  I flashed past doing about 45-50 at that curving spot and glanced up the side road.  Only got a split second look but the cat was clear, looked kind of dark as many do on an overcast day, with his rump to me and tail swooped down to line up its black tip with his right hind leg.  I whipped around as soon as I could safely on the narrow two lane highway but he was gone by the time I came back.  He was about two miles south of the little town of Acme if anyone wants to Google it, on the west side of the highway.  The side road is a narrow two track uphill through heavy forest.

When we need to head Seattle way we prefer that drive rather than taking the I-5 freeway and from our closest border crossing at Sumas it is a short cut as quick as the freeway route.

Mountain and river views and lots of game along Highway 9 and we've seen deer, otters, mink, raccoons, coyotes, bobcat, eagles and now a cougar.  There is a biker bar/restaurant called the Blue Mountain Café not far from Acme that has a killer view of the Three Sisters mountain peaks.  Food is so so but the view is worth it.

Hawks Feather

I drove about 200 miles yesterday and saw 5 or 6 dead raccoons, 1 dead skunk, two black cats that would have been dead if they would have stayed on the highway, a crow, and an eagle.  I would be more than willing to trade places with you for a few days.

Jerry

FinsnFur

What'ya think Jerry?...road trip?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 23, 2016, 10:15:01 PM

Fire up the corporate jet.  I have my bags packed.  Heck, I think even Glen will be about ready for a road trip.

Jerry

slagmaker

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 24, 2016, 12:10:38 PM
Quote from: FinsnFur on October 23, 2016, 10:15:01 PM

Fire up the corporate jet.  I have my bags packed.  Heck, I think even Glen will be about ready for a road trip.

Jerry

Dont forget to take some ariel photos on the way in. They can be a huge help on your scouting excursions
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

All the years that I have lived in prime lion country and all the back dirt roads and two tracks that I have been on I have only witnessed one lion crossing the road.  Which begs the question:  "Why did the lion cross the road?"
When they come for mine they better bring theirs