• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My fall turkey firearms season is over

Started by coyote101, December 10, 2016, 10:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

We are allowed to take two turkeys with firearms during Kentucky's fall season.

I got this one on the 25th of October:

Looking back at the blind

Took this one yesterday morning......

...... from one of the blinds I built last year.

I can still get two more with archery equipment, so I will break out the crossbow in the next couple of weeks and give it a try.

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Congratulations on filling those tags.  You are simply a good hunter whatever you go after. 

In the first pic you look like the grim reaper!  Maybe the grim turkey reaper! :highclap:

riverboss

Way to go Pat!
I didn't even know season was in I've been so busy.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Hawks Feather

So sorry that you season is over. BUT if you hadn't pulled the trigger you could still be out there hunting.   :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

P.S.  Nice bird!

pitw

Excellent job Pat. :yoyo:
Couple questions.
Head shots?
Why the camo if you is sitting inside watching TV?
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Quote from: pitw on December 11, 2016, 09:31:43 AM
Couple questions.
Head shots?

Head/neck shots-yes

Quote from: pitw on December 11, 2016, 09:31:43 AM
Why the camo if you is sitting inside watching TV?

Black would probably be better inside the blinds, but I get impatient if the turkeys don't show up within an hour or two of sunrise and often get out of the blind to try to find them.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

Is that one of those tiny houses I've been hearing so much about? The big Mossberg is wreaking havoc on the turkey population!

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on December 11, 2016, 08:31:20 PM
Is that one of those tiny houses I've been hearing so much about? The big Mossberg is wreaking havoc on the turkey population!

It is tiny Nasty....6'X6' on the outside. I like to get to the blind an hour before sunrise when I'm hunting turkeys, but that leaves me a lot of time to kill. I keep a piece of a foam sleeping pad in the blind that I lay diagonally on the floor and nap on till I hear the turkeys start to wake up. Beats just sitting on a chair in the dark.  :biggrin:

That Mossberg is a turkey killing machine. I think this was at least the 20th turkey I've taken with it since 2010 (plus seven with my crossbow and one with the .410 pistol). :thumb2: I'm struggling to remember all of them.  :madd:
If you look closely at the picture of the blind you can see I have some camo netting in the opening. I slid the barrel under the netting before I shot the turkey, but I forgot the barrel is ported several inches back from the muzzle, right about where the netting touched it. The blast through the ports shredded a nice section of the netting.  :mad3: Oops.

Pat
NRA Life Member

pitw

Man do I hear ya on the getting bored.  Never have had a stand that I could stay at.  I'm always thinking what is over/behind the next object and gotta go take a peek.
I say what I think not think what I say.

HuntnCarve

Way to go Pat!  You are a true "Turkey Magnet".  I only got two days of turkey hunting in here in PA this Fall.  Missed a couple long range, off hand shots with my rifle.  Good luck with your future archery hunts.

Dave

KySongDog

WTG, Pat!  I agree that the Mossy 835 is a turkey killing machine.  Have you tried the Win Long Beard XR shells? Awesome is the only word to describe them. 

nastygunz

I   am an 835 turkey slayer myself, puts out a wicked pattern. I just bought some of the long beards xr this spring but been trying to use up my old ammo. I have a Knoxx ar15 type adjustable butt stock on mine, like that alot.

FinsnFur

Turkey sandwiches  :eyebrow:
Nice Job on taggin out Pat. I love your pop up blind location. How perfect, with the morning sun to YOUR back and in THEIR eyes :thumb2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Quote from: nastygunz on December 12, 2016, 06:37:59 PM
I   am an 835 turkey slayer myself, puts out a wicked pattern. I just bought some of the long beards xr this spring but been trying to use up my old ammo. I have a Knoxx ar15 type adjustable butt stock on mine, like that alot.

Try them out of a factory x-full choke.   My 835 loves them. 

HaMeR

Congratulations on another fine Fall season Pat!! I never made it out this Fall. Heck my shotgun is upstairs in the gun vice waiting for the new firing pin & spring that broke back in May!!  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

I use the turkey choke that came with my 835, no complaints with that!

coyote101

This is what the blast from the ports in the barrel did to the camo mesh:

Pat
NRA Life Member

Okanagan

Gives it character, live fire scars.  You can tell that camo has made it out of the mall and off-road!  :highclap:  Reminds me of the coyote teeth marks around the muzzle of a rifle I once owned. 

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Okanagan on December 17, 2016, 10:10:59 PM
Reminds me of the coyote teeth marks around the muzzle of a rifle I once owned.

:shock2:  If you have shared that story I missed it.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Quote from: Okanagan on December 17, 2016, 10:10:59 PM
Gives it character, live fire scars.  You can tell that camo has made it out of the mall and off-road!  :highclap:  Reminds me of the coyote teeth marks around the muzzle of a rifle I once owned.

WHAT THE... :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com