• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My first cat!!

Started by riverboss, February 19, 2017, 08:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverboss

I finally got a cat! I have hunted hard for the last 6 yrs to kill a cat and today I finally connected.
I knew they're were cats on this farm from trail cam photos so I hunted they're often.
LinemanSteve killed a big coyote their this yr and I killed one they're also but hadn't seen any cats.
This  morning spot and I tried something different and headed to the river cliff side of the farm I put out my one wing bird decoy and started calling with my Northbay Call. After 10 minutes I caught movement from my left! Spot had been sniffing hard and staring in that direction so I knew to keep my eyes in that direction!
It was coming in fast and wouldn't stop so I took a shot and shot right over its back.
It went about 10 yards and stopped I shot it in the neck with a 55 gr nbt out of my 6x6.8 ar at 40 yards.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

slagmaker

Congratulations on a fine kitty!
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Frogman

Wow!!   WTG Dan!!  Good shooting! 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Okanagan

Most excellent!  Good hunting, good set-up, good calling and good shooting.

Cats are all a little weird in the way they are so incredibly sneaky and furtive, yet sometimes will act half tame once they show up, even after a shot.  Ya gotta be cool to keep shooting straight and you handled that well.  (I speak from experience re some of my second and third shots at a cat.  I had one walk over and sniff of my arrow sticking in the ground after I missed it with a bow shot.  My next shot was worse.)

Pretty spots on that one.  Don't they have amazingly plush fur?  I love hunting cats

coyote101

Congratulations Dan!!  :congrats: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

gravesco hunter

riverboss

Thanks guys I'm on cloud 9!
Now I have to figure out how to skin it for a rug. I'm afraid the hole is to big to sew and missing some hide.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

KySongDog

Coulter

Way to go Dan! I'm glad you finally got the cat you were after. And heck, I'm sure happy to hear you tagged it with one of my calls. That's the first cat picture I've had come in with a North Bay call. I don't k now if anybody else has bagged a cat and just not sent a picture in or not. We'll just say that is a first for both of us. :yoyo: Congrats again sir! :highclap: Enjoy the high!

securpro

That's awesome congrats on the cat  :yoyo: and that's a first for NB also... Congrats to both of you !

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Carolina Coyote

Congratulation's on the call in and the shot.Sure love calling a Cat, They don't often come running and for sure will get the heart pumping. CC

MI VHNTR

A BIG congrats on the cat. Thanks for the story and pictures.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

kyfuzzyface

Congrats Dan, :highclap: keep after them  :highclap:
Fuzzy

FinsnFur

Now that is an earned trophy!  :congrats: Congrats on finally puttin it all together and being in the right spot.
Get it? spot?  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

There is nothing like your first and a great story with pics makes it so much for us all to enjoy.
:yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

JohnP

Congratulations on your first cat and I know there will be plenty more.  If it was a tom you may want to try that spot again in a few months, I have found that once a tom is removed from his territory another will move in rather fast.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HaMeR

QuoteI have found that once a tom is removed from his territory another will move in rather fast.

I think during the coyote mating season it's critical to get back to the same close area once a male or female has been shot within a day or two. More so if it's a male being shot.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11