• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Long story made short...I fell

Started by Coulter, April 23, 2017, 09:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I had a bit of an accident while climbing at the Cleveland Rock Gym last Friday. I had just topped out on my route and began my rappel back down and my harness failed on me. I fell 25 feet and broke my back. I spent three days at the Cleveland Clinic with 3 fractured vertebrae, abdominal and foot contusions, some hemorrhaging around the pelvis/bladder, and a few scrapes.

So, as of now I get around in a walker. Not sure for how long just yet. But there has been a slow steady progress each day. I was actually able to get myself dressed yesterday for the first time. I'll likely miss our turkey opener, but kit sure beats what could have happened.

Just wanted to let you guys know what happened. I know there are a few of you that enjoy the climbing posts that I put up here. I did have to cancel my Mt Rainier climb in a couple of months. I'll train hard and go try it again next year. I'm still going to Washington to play around while the rest of the team climbs though.

Steve

FinsnFur

Wow I'm glad your on your feet already. I read a thing the other day that I think will stick with me forever. It said, "just think of the devastation that your badluck may have possibly saved you from".

Your lucky you were in a controlled environment.
Thanks for sharing this. Keep us up to date.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Thanks Jim...I'll certainly keep you guys up to date. The first few days I didn't think I would be walking again for weeks. I'm happy I can at least get around with the walker for now. I seem to be getting stronger each day.

Steve

pitw

Sorry to read this Coulter.   :sad:

One of the reasons I'm a flatlander is I've learned gravity works.

Hope you are up and at 'em in a short period.
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

Ouch!

That sounds rough. Glad you were in the gym and not out on a mountain side.

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

Damn Steve! I'm glad your going to be OK!
Sounds like you really dodge a bullet.
Take care of yourself and get back at it when you feel strong enough.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

coyote101

Wow Steve, I hate to hear you fell, but thank God it wasn't worse. Praying for a speedy, full recovery.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Dave

Damn!  Sorry to see this. Must've been scared out of your mind after hitting the ground.  25 feet is long way down.
Hope you fully recover - always enjoy your posts with the mountains you and your daughter have climbed.

Hawks Feather

Really sorry to learn of this.  All the mountains you have climbed and then to get hurt on an indoor wall . . . well it just doesn't see right.  Hang in there and hopefully you will keep getting better each day.

Jerry

Yotehntr

Wow Steve... man I hate to hear that.  How in the world did your harness fail?  They're usually bullet proof. I drug one through caves for years they're tough.  Petzl?... they going to pay your Dr bill?  :wo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

HuntnCarve

Steve, really sorry to hear of your injury.  We'll keep you all in our prayers for a full recovery, and that you will be back doing what you love.

Dave

KySongDog

I'm glad you are still walking after a fall like that.   Get well soon, Steve!   

Coulter

Thanks everybody, I appreciate it.

Barry...gravity sure does work, and it works well.
Reggie...That's everybody else's first thought too...glad it happened in a gym and not in some of the remote areas I love to frequent. That would have been really bad.
Dan...You bet man, it's gonna be a while But I'll be back out there doing it all again. Only much more cautious in the future.
Pat...Could have certainly been much worse, I have a lot to be thankful for. I'm most thankful for having a loving, caring, and supportive wife though.
Dave...You could say that. Normally, I'd jump up and try to get back to it. I waited for the EMT's to arrive and give me the go ahead before getting up. I only made it three steps before throwing in the towel though. I'm hoping to have more of those posts up again as soon as I can.
Jerry...Thank you sir...there will certainly be more mountains to come. And practice at the indoor gyms too.
Brad...well, believe it or not. I failed tro double back the buckle. This one is completely on me and my fault. It's a long story, I'd be happy to fill you in more at LBL next year. :innocentwhistle:
Dave...Thank you kindly sir...I'm looking forward to getting back out there.
Johhny...I'm walking all right, just with a walker. It's driving me nuts man. But still better than the alternative.

Thanks again everybody. I'll keep ya posted as i recuperate and get back into the swing of things. Now ho shoot some turkeys!!
Steve

JohnP

Steve sorry to hear about your fall I'm willing to bet that you'll make a 100% recovery.

P.S.  I have a walker I could rent out to ya,I'm just hobbling around now with crutches and a cane. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Todd Rahm

Glad your Ok Steve. I'll call ya whe Im not working.

Coulter

Hi there John...Thanks for the offer and well wishes. I commandeered my father-in-laws walker though. Can't wait to klick this thing to the curb. How have you been doing?

Steve

Coulter

Sure thing Todd..Thanks man. Give me a jingle after 5 weekdays or anytime during the weekend. I won't be doing much of anything.  :doh2:

Steve

Okanagan

Been praying for you though haven't commented.

Man, having a harness fail is like having a trusted friend stab you in the back.  I know that any piece of equipment can fail but it is hard to imagine having a harness let go -- neither in the sensation of it nor the physics of it.  That's the stuff of nightmares! 

Glad you are able to tell about it. Heal well, at whatever speed that takes.

PS Just now noticed the double buckle factor.  Would love to hear the story alright.  I was imaging a seam ripping out or something.  A fall is a fall and feels the same on impact however it started.

Coulter

Thanks Clyde, I appreciate it sir. Yes, the double buckle factor :doh2:.

I did in fact have it doubled back at one point but I undid it due to a twist in the belt. When I refastened the harness I was thinking I had doubled it back, and I did, but then I undid it to fix the twist. I never doubled it back the second time around. It took me a few days to figure this out. I kept running everything back in my mind trying to figure out what had happened, and it finally dawned on me...when I was belaying my partner I recall the tag end of my harness going to the right. Well, I didn't pay much attention to it at the time other than tucking it out of my way. If it was doubled back it should have been going left. So, not thinking about that I began my climb. Everything was fine until I started my descent. The buckle came loose and down I went 25 feet.

Of course my first inclination was that the harness had failed, but it was really me that failed on this one. I'm just fortunate it ended the way it did. I'm still suing the walker as of today; however, I did start driving again yesterday. Only to work though, I can't take long distances in the drivers seat. I'm okay on the passenger side though. I am able to walk without the walker, but very small baby steps only. I'm working on building the strength back up, but I don't want to stress the fractiures any more. They need to heal so I still use the walker as much as I don't like the thing.

I was able to get back into the NB shop finally too. That is proving difficult as well though. I can only go about an hour and half before I have to call it quits. Its a start though, at least I can start knocking out some of the orders, albeit very slowly.

So that's the update in a nutshell...I'm getting there, but its still going really slowly. Oh and Clyde...my new goal is Mt. Hood if I can get strong enough by the end of June. I'm still going out to Washington, and maybe Oregon if my body lets me. If not I'll be the one moping around at the base of a mountain somewhere. If you're not busy and you aren't too far away we should grab a coffee or something.

Steve

Hawks Feather

I am glad to read that you are slowly healing and things have started to return to normal.  Hang in there and you will be back to 100%.

Jerry