• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I couldn't believe it

Started by slagmaker, May 15, 2017, 08:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

Well today I went canoeing and stopped at a sand bar that I and a friend stopped at Saturday to have lunch. While I was looking for the cell phone my friend lost I heard a noise. I looked up and thought someone stepped behind a tree. I called out that I saw them and next thing you know a bear cub stuck his head out from around the tree about 8 foot up in the air. He then went on to the back of the tree and kept climbing. I took a quick look around while backing up and getting in the canoe. Didn't see him again but I wasn't going to stick around in case momma was close.
It happened fast, I have run it through my head replaying it over and over, I have mentally compared what I saw to anything it could have been. It all comes back to a bear cub.

Never thought I would see that in Indiana.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

There have been reports of a bear about 100 mile to the south of where I was. So I dont know.

Okanagan

Sounds like a bear to me.  That's a gift! Here where we have lots of bears we have run into cubs in trees and going up trees when after morel mushrooms in spring.  That's cool to see one peek around the tree.    Mama was somewhere near, but sometimes they hide and watch and don't do anything if you back off. 

riverboss

Very cool!
I've only seen one in the wild, but they are starting to be more in numbers from what I have been hearing around here.

You better hope MoMA doesn't taste or smell your stew!

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

slagmaker

I just wish I had my go pro on me. It happened so fast there was no time to get my phone out and I wasn't gona stick around cause I know momma had to have been close.

riverboss

That would of been great to see!
Part of me is happy they are getting more abundant and another part not so much.
But I can take them better than snakes!!

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

Hawks Feather

I think the bear cub had your friend's cell phone and was afraid that you had come to get it.

Jerry

slagmaker

Quote from: Hawks Feather on May 16, 2017, 04:20:41 PM
I think the bear cub had your friend's cell phone and was afraid that you had come to get it.

Jerry

as long as it don't run up his long distance or start calling those 900 numbers. But then again I don't care its not my bill :innocentwhistle:

slagmaker

Quote from: slagmaker on May 15, 2017, 10:32:18 PM
There have been reports of a bear about 100 mile to the south of where I was. So I dont know.

I have to change the distance on how far to the south the reports have been coming in from. The last report saw a bear at the Jefferson proving grounds and the northern boundary for that place is 20 miles as the crow flies. So who knows. maybe my mind playing tricks on me and maybe not. I filled out a large animal sighting report on the Indiana division of fish and wildlife so lets see if they get back to me.

nastygunz

We have more than enough Bears if you need  a few  :innocentwhistle:

slagmaker

Quote from: nastygunz on May 17, 2017, 12:25:15 AM
We have more than enough Bears if you need  a few  :innocentwhistle:

Well it has always been part of one of the reasons I liked camping in indiana. Not a lot of chances to be turned into a buritto for a bear in the middle of the night.

trailtwister

I haven't been fooling with any black bear cubs but the adults I have dealt with were scared to death of my scent and ran like crazy for several hundred yards after getting in my scent cone.

Another thought Kare and I were funny, while bass fishing the sturgeon river in the UP, Kare didn't warn me about some shale low water or try to steer us to the deeper channel. While I am turning the air blue trying to use the paddle to get off the shale a black bear came strolling down to the edge of the river and sat down. Stayed there watching me till I got out and worked the canoe off the shale then it just got up and left. Probably laughing at the dumb fisher people.

:D  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.