• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

A cultural exchange of food

Started by Okanagan, August 13, 2017, 08:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

I was watering the apple tree in our back yard when a young man in his 20's from over the fence said hello.  He introduced himself as Amrit, part of an extended East Indian family that recently moved next door.  We talked a few minutes and when I mentioned that the apples from this tree make good pies, he hesitated and in broken English said that he had heard of apple pie but had never seen one.  You can see this coming...

I baked an apple pie for him, with AMRIT in block letters of thin extra crust baked on top.  His father answered the door, didn't speak English but took the pie.  Amrit returned the glass pie dish an hour later, thanked me and asked if I like curry.  You bet.

This evening Amrit brought a dish of hot curry that he said his father made, kind of a greenish sauce with lamb chunks in it.  Potent stuff!  It is not only hot but has a side whang to the taste that builds.  I really like it but could overdo it pretty quickly.  To me it seemed to need to go over rice but we are out so I put it on fine angle hair pasta.  That’s probably heresy, but it was good.  Too strong for my wife so I get it all.

I wonder if they can eat pork?  Baby back ribs from the smoker? 

FinsnFur

Thats a nice way to make neighbors
:laf: Didnt take em long to polish off that pie. Holy smokes.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Breaking bread is a great way to meet people
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Dave

Good stuff.  I'd imagine that curry dish would be too hot for me also.
BTW, I've never seen an apple pie either!  Or smoked baby back ribs that'd been smoked for say 4-5 hours on low heat, but bathed in extra sauce every few hours.  Just thought i'd mention it.

Hawks Feather

You keep doing things like this and people will start to appreciate you like we do here.  If there is a waiting list put me down for some ribs.

Jerry

Okanagan

Quote from: Dave on August 14, 2017, 06:53:21 AM
Good stuff.  I'd imagine that curry dish would be too hot for me also.
BTW, I've never seen an apple pie either!  Or smoked baby back ribs that'd been smoked for say 4-5 hours on low heat, but bathed in extra sauce every few hours.  Just thought i'd mention it.

:innocentwhistle:

pitw

There are so many things I could say here but I won't. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.