• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

DogFish

Started by FinsnFur, April 29, 2007, 10:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

The bottom fell out of the river today and killed my spree.  :sad:
Some of the sloughs in Mississippi River pool 10 that were 3 to 4 ft deep,  were less then 2ft when I got there this morning.

That's going to put a damper on bass spawn fishing.

Anyway drug this dirty monster from a weedbed today. We call em Dogfish up here. The only thing nice about them is they have some real exotic colors when they are spawning. The bottom of them is almost a chartreuse green, along with their left and right fins. And they have a cool looking dot on each side of the tail that's black in the middle with a bright red circle around it.

They have teeth worse then a Northern Pike, and they are just as vigorous as an alligator. When they get hooked, they trash the lure, the line, and everything in the water between you and it as they roll, and dive.

They kill millions of game fish up here every year too, so every one that I am able to catch I slit it's gut and release it for turtle food.  :eyebrownod:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jimmie in Ky

Grinnel or Bowfin is what we call them down here. We sort of look at them as a poor mans Tarpon  :biggrin: By biggest with a bow was sixteen pounds and the biggest on rod and reel was 12 pounds and change. When I am any where near them I keep a dollar spinner bait on one rig just in case and often fish for them on purpose. If I see one roll , I will drop a bait on it. One of those spinners is good for about five maybe six two pounders. A couple of five pounders will ruin it. 8 or 10 pounder and the bait is trashed th first time :eyebrownod: . I love these dinosaurs. These critters are why a lot of folks won't bass fish with me in the oxbows , they don't like the bath's they get  :nono:  My best day of chasing these things was 25 in one afternoon. Jimmie

FinsnFur

:roflmao: you know exactly what I'm talking about  :eyebrownod:
Dinasours is a good word  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

CCP

Were I grew up we called them a Black fish. The people here were I live now call them scaly cat's. I have heard them called Bowfin but have never heard them called dogfish.

Catch quiet a few while bass fishing they hit the plastic worms here fairly regular.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

vvarmitr

That sounds like something to fish for. :biggrin:
Man, if we had something like that around here I'd might even take up fishing ... maybe? :confused:

Jimmie in Ky

If thye feel good they will put on a show like a smallmouth. A big one takes quite a while to land with baitcasting gear. If it's spining tackle you generally don't land the big ones becuase of all those teeth on the small line. Big plastic worms, lizards and spinner baits are the top baits for them. Occassionally they will work a white jig. Never took one on a crankbait for some reason.

They are as old as the dinosaurs Jim. They have been unchanged for several million years. Just a very efficient eating and fighting machine  :biggrin:  Jimmie

fuzz624

Up here we call them bowfin.Yes guys,they are a blast to catch.My biggest was probally around 6 pounds.I usually just use nightcrawlers or minnoes for bait.We like to fish for them below the jackson lake dam.you can catch a crap load of them during midsummer down there.

Jimmie in Ky

Fuzz, if you catch them up and actively feeding you can use a white tandem blade spinner bait . Just make sure it's  a cheap one  :biggrin: Jimmie

FinsnFur

Why would anyone fish FOR those things unless there using a 12ga.
Dirty rotten, game fish killin, habitat destroying, finger chompin, dinosaur looking, lure wrecking, line twisting, inedible, mud covered, garbage fish.

Ok...I feel better  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Todd Rahm

Same reason we fish trout eating pike and hunt the coyotes...............its a predator thing.  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

LOL.....yeah but  :confused: ..... Ahh I guess your right  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

fuzz624

Thanks for the tip Jimmie.Ill have to try that this summer.

Jim,if you hate them that much,it is your duty to thin them out a little.Besides,they may be ugly but they put up a good fight.

vvarmitr

I asked a couple guys at work t'ismorning & they said we have them here too. :huh:

If they fight like they say why would anyone want to hunt er I mean fish for those sissy "game fish"? :confused:

Sounds to me like they're a varmint fish & I am VICTOR VARMINTER, so this sounds like a job for me! :eyebrow:

Do ya need a license to fish for 'em. :shrug:  Do I have to "catch & release?" :pout: Do I have to sit on the bank & drink cheap beer? :noway:

FinsnFur

:roflmao: :roflmao:
Git on up here son.....I'll buy the beer. The expensive stuff  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Jimmie in Ky

We keep on talking about just fun fishing and I may have to rig me a gar lure for this summer. Been a while since I last had a four footer up and tail walking across a slough. Gar are easy, just cast at 'em til ya piss them off  :eyebrownod:

Them old grennel have to think it's running from them before they will pop it. Keep the bait moving and in the top foot or so of water.

Now if stipers and hybrids were that easy to catch :iroll: Jimmie

vvarmitr

Well where is here?  :shrug:  I just might show up. :innocentwhistle: Got any g'hogs to shoot in case the fish aren't biting? :biggrin: How many guns should I bring? :wo:  Hmmmm? 2 pistols-- one rimfire & one 45LC, one shotgun- the 12Ga, &  lets see ... a coyote rifle, a long range rig, ol'reliable, a lever action for fun, & 2 rimfires - the 22lr CZ & the Savage 17HMR.
Okay that is  llll llll  -- 9. Do ya want me to bring any guns for you to use Jimbo? :shrug:
As far as fishing stuff I was figurin' as mean as these fish are I'd  just use the winch on the Suburban. :sneer:

Wadda think?

And BTW who you calling "son" Kid? :huh:  :laf:

FinsnFur

There's a few ground hogs, think ya can call em in?  :laf:

Regardless of what weapons ya bring, ya better put a 55 gal drum of Deet on the list. I toured for Morels this morning, and holy crap! Mosquitos!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bopeye

I don't think I had ever even heard of these fish before...... :confused:
Did me a little search........sure wish we had them here.  :eyebrownod:

Read about 'em boys....interesting. It was intersting that some call them "lawyer" fish........what are they trying to say?  :confused: :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowfin

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/conn.river/bowfin.html
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

keekee

We got them hear as well. We get them catfishing all the time, they sure will kill a good bait in a hurry!  And make a first class mess out of a 10.00 hybrid or striper bait! Same with Gar, tear the hell out of a good bait! Not good!

Brent

coyotehunter_1

Anyone used a Gar rig for those toothy critters?

Gar lure
Materials needed:

Cotton rope (¼"or ½" dia. works well but a larger size can be used)
Wire fishing leader (8-10 lb. unless you are going after the ones that got away)
Barrel Swivels (the stronger the better)
Plastic zip ties or steel tie wire.
------------------------------------
Cut the leader into two foot sections.  Tie a swivel to one end of the leader. The rope can be cut to any length but 6"-8" overall is usually plenty. To fasten the wire leader to the rope (lure), thread the leader through the center of the rope about two inches,  then double it back towards the swivel end. Twist the loose end back around the main section of the wire leader. Using zip wire ties or tie wire, place 2-3 wraps around the body of the rope to double secure it to the leader. Unravel the other end of the rope so it is loose, spread this apart as much as possible. The frayed end of the lure will move as it goes through the water. When a gar hit's the lure it's teeth get snagged in the loose rope. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to remove the fish but there are no sharp hooks to deal with. This is a easy to make rig and can be used many times.   
Several can be made up in advance, then stored in a zip lock baggy until ready to use.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Sorry for the crappy drawing.
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.