• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Rating some calls

Started by possumal, December 15, 2007, 06:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend the following calls from Loren Reese.  They prove beyond a shadow of a doubt "Black is beautiful".  Some of you younger fellows who really want a good deal on quality calls, get in touch with Loren and he'll take care of you.  Don't forget that he makes top quality call lanyards and coyote carriers too.  The pictured calls from top to bottom are
     KO Black Coyote howler
     KO Coyote twister howler
     Reese Cowtip distress call

The KO Black Coyote howler is the best sounding, easiest to blow howler I have ever handled.  Most have read the interesting story behind the KO Coyote twister howler.  It, too, is an easy call to blow, and his new Cowtip distress makes excellent pup howls as well as all kinds of distress calls.  The workmanship is really excellent like all of Loren's stuff. Hang these three on one of his lanyards, and you are all set.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

crazy_cottontail

I have couple of KO boards and i wonder why i try to make my own  :doh2: I can`t say enough about them. Just ordered a couple of cow tips. Would order more but i had to order snow shoes LOL. It sucks we got snow then rain and i haven`t been able to find and bull in a china shop cover sent to cover my movements. Walking around is a little noisy. Well later

Rich

Frogman

al
      Thanks for the recomendation on the Reese Cow Horn Howler.  I just received one from Kees Production and I can't believe how easy it is to blow.  I have been struggling with several commercial howlers.  I am just a beginner.  I was thinking that it was really hard to get a nice smooth lonesome howl out with the Hot Dog and a couple of others I have.  Sometimes I would lock up the reed and get an awful sound out of the call.  Once in a while I could get a good sound, but not consistently.  After playing with the Black howler from Brent it seems much easier to get smooth sounding howls.  I have'n taken it outdoors yet, but here at the house it sure sounds good.  wv_yoter showed me his latex reed howler and it sure sounded good too.  Thanks for all the good info you guys post on this forum!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

possumal

You are more than welcome. One thing I am sure of, you can't go wrong dealing with Brent Saxton or Loren Reese.  The Black Coyote Howler is supposed to be the first howler ever molded off a real buffalo horn, and I would say I easily believe that to be true. I really doubt that any of the custom howlers are any better than that baby.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Jerry Hunsley

Your wrong Al. Mine was tjhe first one, and since then people have copied.

possumal

Hi Jerry.  You could be right, probably are.  I was just repeating what I read in the advertising about the Black Coyote Howler.  It is about the size of the buffalo horn howler Rich gave me when I was at his place, with the curvature about the same. It is considerably bigger than the howler I got from you.  Possibly they were referring to the length.  They both sound good and are easy to blow.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rich

"The KO Black Coyote howler is the best sounding, easiest to blow howler I have ever handled."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I the only one who noticed the ignorance of that statement? Loren Reese is a good man who does nice work, and I certainly have no complaints regarding his calls. To make bold statements like that on a public forum, a man should have the knowledge and ability to prove the truth of said statement. Some folks would be wise to listen more and talk less.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

possumal

Rich: I don't understand your comment at all. It gives my opinion, and doesn't say it is the easiest to blow howler that anyone in the world has ever used. Incidentally, it is about the same thing that AP Jones says in his ad about this howler.  I guess he is wrong to say that?  I have received many replies from people who tried the howler and agreed.  I was just trying to help Loren out with a recommendation that people try his calls. Nothing more, nothing less.  I suppose your statement that some folks would be wise to listen more and talk less is aimed at me, and you have a right to your opinion. Some other people would be wise to judge not lest they be judged.  I don't have to prove my opinion as being true, and neither do you.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rich

Al,

I know that you mean well, but you don't know nearly as much about calls and calling as you think you do. I figured that out during your short visit here. That is why I asked you not to mention Cronk calls in your seminars.
Foxpro Field staff

weedwalker

Quote from: possumal on December 15, 2007, 06:40:14 PM
The KO Black Coyote howler is the best sounding, easiest to blow howler I have ever handled. 

Quote from: Rich on July 06, 2008, 07:11:43 PM
Am I the only one who noticed the ignorance of that statement?

:confused: So, are you saying that he should have said that about your call instead of Lorens since you know he has one of yours too? Maybe I missed the point or something. :confused:

Rich

weedwalker,

I am not that good with words, so it is understandable that my reasons for the above posts were not understood by everyone. I have met the man, and I know what his beliefs regarding coyote calling are. Those beliefs are vastly different from  my own. After our short visit, he drove to south dakota to do some calling with a very experienced coyote man. To hear what Al told me about that hunt would have been comical if I didn't already know that the south Dakota coyote man had forgotten more about coyotes than Al will ever learn. When Al told me via E mail that he planned to feature the Cronk howler in a seminar he was scheduled to give, I asked him not to mention Cronk calls in any of his seminars. There are a lot of folks who show up for calling demo's, who are very hungry for knowledge. There would be some who would consider what they were told at the seminar as gospel. When they go out after the seminar and apply those methods, I would really rather they not blame my howler for any negative results. I have also heard some of Al's attempts at blowing calls, but I won't get in to that here. I am actually a bit sorry that I even bothered to say anything in this thread, because it is hard to sort out fact from fiction on the internet.
Foxpro Field staff

canine

No offense......But a latex reed howler kicks all other howlers asses :eyebrow:

As far as Al's comments about Lorens black howler...I agree, they are very smooth and produce excellent howls. I use mine often.

JD

Rich

canine,

To each his own my friend. I will stick to open reed calls myself.  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Field staff

Bob D

My open reed howlers sound good and get to go hunting with me. My latex howler sits on the shelf collecting dust.
Bob

alscalls

My go too howler has one of his soundboards in it and I used it last night to get a pack of yotes worked up. If it works and works well I use it, and I do use it every week. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

BigB

I've owned and blown plenty of howlers, because I pretty much start off every stand with a few howls.  I prefer a very loud howler, as I like to reach out and touch em when they are way out there.  I hunt fairly open terrain, and not the thick stuff, so take it for what it is.  I've owned and blown the following howlers - Cronk buffalo, BradH buffalo, Hot Dog, Red Desert, ELK latex, KO Black Coyote, Slydog Tonni Mara, Bearmanric, Tony Tebbe, Carver hower, THO, Lohman closed reed howler, and a Song Dog.  And I still have a few more to acquire that I have on my wish list. 

Out of that list of howlers, the Cronk Buffalo hasn't left my lanyard since I got it. Before I got the Cronk, I used the Red Desert mouthpiece with a call body that I made. The very first hand call I got was the Lohman howler.  It'll make you deaf if you blow it in the truck while you are practicing.  I'm really afraid to take my BradH and Slydog howlers to the field in fear of either loosing or beating them up, but they produce some very loud and awesome sounds as well.  The KO black coyote is easy to run and easy to get good sounds out of, but only puts out around 1/3rd of the volume that I look for in a howler.  I can't figure out the latex howlers, but have heard them being blown and do like the sounds from them.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

Rich

alscalls,

Loren Reese is a good man who makes good calls, so I am sure that his howlers are good ones. Loren has done quite a lot of mold making for me, so I am aware of his good work.  :wink:
Foxpro Field staff

George Ackley

QuoteI am not that good with words, so it is understandable that my reasons for the above posts were not understood by everyone. I have met the man, and I know what his beliefs regarding coyote calling are. Those beliefs are vastly different from  my own. After our short visit, he drove to south dakota to do some calling with a very experienced coyote man. To hear what Al told me about that hunt would have been comical if I didn't already know that the south Dakota coyote man had forgotten more about coyotes than Al will ever learn. When Al told me via E mail that he planned to feature the Cronk howler in a seminar he was scheduled to give, I asked him not to mention Cronk calls in any of his seminars. There are a lot of folks who show up for calling demo's, who are very hungry for knowledge. There would be some who would consider what they were told at the seminar as gospel. When they go out after the seminar and apply those methods, I would really rather they not blame my howler for any negative results. I have also heard some of Al's attempts at blowing calls, but I won't get in to that here. I am actually a bit sorry that I even bothered to say anything in this thread, because it is hard to sort out fact from fiction on the internet.

Quote(I am not that good with words)

I am not that good with words myself rich)

but i hear yea :bowingsmilie:
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

alscalls

I did not intend to inspire argument I just felt the need to pay Loren Reese a compliment he has treated me very well and I have used many of his mouth pieces and I like them.
As soon as I make one I like as well, I will have him do some moulding for me and will probably still use his as well. :wink:
I know there are many I have not tried and I can only hope to get to. I just ran into his stuff first and for now am sticking with it.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

possumal

Rich:  I don't know how my post about Loren's calls offended you or challenged you in any way, and I fail to see how it is ignorant for someone to give their opinion about somebody's calls.  I have praised the cowhorn howler you made for me, and the killer call also, and still think they are top shelf.  If you are going to share private corresondence between you and me, it would be wise to at least get the timing correct.  I had already given a seminar at Sportsman's Warehouse in Lexington, Ky., featuring your calls and a segment about Jerry Hunsley's howler and his wonderful dog, and related that the information given was well received by the people who attended, when you emailed me that if top coyote hunters were going to meet me and like me, I'd have to come across as humble.  I emailed you back that if I had known I had to come out to Iowa and S. Dakota and act like I didn't know anything to be accepted, I would have taken that into consideration.  It was then that you requested that I no longer use your name or mention your calls in any of my seminars or writings.  I responded that I didn't understand your thinking, but I would do my best to honor your request, but if someone asked me a question where my truthful answer would be "Cronk cowhorn howler" or "Cronk Killer Call", I'd be obliged to answer, as I won't lie for anyone.  As far as humble goes, I posted that it was a humbling experience to be named to the Foxpro Field Staff with people like you, Gerry Blair, Cal Taylor, etc., but evidently that passed you by.  Just to set the facts straight, let me say I am humble to my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, but not to any man.  I have no issues against you, and liked you and your family very much.  I liked Jerry Hunsley and his buddy, Pat, as much as anyone I have ever met in my life, and posted this for all to see.  If you misread my enthusiasm for coyote hunting as arrogance, I can't help that.  If you don't think I know enough about coyote hunting, coyote calls, and using those calls to justify making comments to help the newbies and younger hunters on the forums, you have a right to your opinion, and I guess I can't do much to change that.  I have never said or posted one negative thing about you or Jerry on this forum, or any other forum, and have never said anything negative or judgmental to anyone in conversations.  I sincerely hope this serves as an end to what seems to be a spitting contest. I wish you well as always.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff