• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

timber hunting

Started by sleddogg, November 18, 2006, 07:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleddogg

Been kind of rainy lately here in the Northeast. I used a break in the rain this A.M. for an easy call in.

Sitting in an earpopping high treestand, I let one loud series ring out on the Tebbe Furball. Within a minute, I see this guy cruising in.

He stops about 50 yards out, and a short lipsqeek puts him 15 yards beneath me.

Jeb

Good job Sleddogg !!!!  :highclap:
           Jeb

fuzz624

Nice coyote sleddog. What kind of AR you shooting?

FinsnFur

Very nice  :biggrin:
How bad did the 223 mess em up... because that hide will be worth some coin if it's in decent shape as light as it is.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

Brian,
At it again I see..... Nice coyote!  :congrats:

BTW...Welcome to FnF. :biggrin:

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

vvarmitr

Man, he sure is full or he started to bloat by the time ya got the camera figured out. :laf:

WTG sled'g, you're still my hero! :biggrin:

sleddogg

Thanks Guys.....

fuzz624 - The AR is a Stag lower, RR National Match trigger, DPMS 20 inch upper, Warne extra highs, 1.5 x 6 scope, 9 twist. Accurate. I like shooting heavy soft points.

I find if you hit the 'yote center mass, the 223 with soft points is very easy on fur. Fringe hits or raking shot can get messy with the little 223.

browning204

your the man sleddog!!

the one coyote I shot with a .223 softpoint didn't stay shot and ran away and we couldn't find it.

Lots of blood but no coyote, we both got a good look at it before the afterburners lit up and we agreed that it was a good 45+ pounds (dare I say that?)  :wink:
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

sleddogg

QuoteLots of blood but no coyote, we both got a good look at it before the afterburners lit up and we agreed that it was a good 45+ pounds (dare I say that?) 

Of course you can say 45 pounder in the Northeast. Don't get CCP and I talking about woods guns :nofgr:

The 65 grain Sierra Gameking will anchor stubborn dogs pretty good out of the 223, but its as light as I'd go around here.

For folks that haven't seen a 50 pounder...

CCP

Good job Sledd glad that .223 with heavy bullets are workin out on those big boys. You almost swayed me to go with the 1:8 twist 69g .223 but the 6.8 should be on order next month for X-mas.

QuoteDon't get CCP and I talking about woods guns

Yep already talking about it
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

browning204

sleddog: I know some people called you a liar on another forum when you were shooting those big dogs, I think some people still have a hard time with it!

The bullet I was using was a 55 grain federal soft point, I since switched to 55 grain hollow points but haven't put one in a coyote yet.

This new baby is putting a damper on my hunting but I am loving every minute of it anyway.

The reason I use the 55 grainers is because that is what is on the shelf around here and I don't reload. I was all ready to order some bullets off the net but every thing I wanted was on back order or some crap.

I am still on the fence about scoping my AR, right now I have a red dot on it and am good with it out to 75 yards unless I am having a bad hair day.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

FinsnFur

Did he say 50 lbs???  :shck:

Ahhhhh C'mon now  :wo:

I'm kidding ya Brian.  :biggrin: I know what side of the drink your on, and how big those yotes can get.  :wink:
That thing is a beaut!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Nice coyote and I really enjoyed all the conversation about the .223's.

Don't ya love it when I wait awhile to spoil a good thread........ :eyebrownod:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free