• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Standing during a stand?

Started by vvarmitr, December 11, 2006, 10:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

Something I've been doing lately is standing during a stand or set what ever you want to call it. Especially when I have the dog w/ me.  I try to get up even more by climbing a dead fall w/ a tree at my back.  When you're setting on the ground your range of motion is very limited & hence so is your view. When standing I can take in a lot more area, & if I had too I could shoot behind me simply enough. :eyebrow: :wo:

Has anyone tried this or have some input or does everyone assume the position & squat? :confused:

Jrbhunter

100% of my nighttime hunting is done standing up.  Sometimes standing on a ladder or haybail, for added elevation.

Daytime stands are different, I usually sit.  I sit only in areas where I feel I have the incoming coyotes figured out... expecting them to come from an area 45° wide means I can sit down and setup the bipod in most cases.    When I am unsure where they are coming from, or if relief (hills) creates problems with sitting down- I will stand.   When standing I prop up against something (usually a tree) to help steady myself and break up my outline.

In most cases, it is wise to "Give up" a portion of your calling stand to coyotes that are just too danged smart for you.   My experience has been that you cannot cover it all and still kill coyotes- too much looking and turning will screw up the coyotes coming in "As they should" just for a chance at the occasional ones who backdoor you.   I will sometimes watch 360 during the first series of calls, but then narrow it down.   The time to twist and turn has come and gone by that time... what I messed up in stand selection, sound projection and wind direction is just going to costs me some coyotes from there on out.

I know it's tough to just ignore a portion of your stand but I have found your bets best hedged on focusing on 180° or less and relying on slow movements and perithial vision to scan the area.  This is daytime- nighttime is 320° of continuous scanning.  (The ones in that other 40% window will usually warning bark to let you know they're in it... scent cone  :laf:)

bigben

all of my night time hunting is done by standing up.  some daytime hunting is also standing up but It is usually done with a piece of camo net that i throw over me with a hole cut out for my head and arms.  in terms if I hide by leaning up against a tree it just looks like a real shrubby bush beside a tree.  and bushs move.  so you can get by with a little movement.  I normally only stand up when visibility is less then 50 yds.  I pack a shotgun with a red dot on it and use a decoy along with the foxpro.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

slagmaker

I have a bucket with a swivel seat on it that I sit on. Works great!! I even use it as a bucket by putting stuff in it that I want on stand. Cuts down on what I have to have "in Hand" on the way to and from a stand. I just sit up against a tree or brush pile to break up the outline and I am good to go.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

stevecriner

Standing is a great option when you want to get in the thick with em". I just recently was introduced to it and love it.
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

RShaw

For daytime calling, I use a folding stool. In my opinion, it is the best of both worlds. My butt is up off the ground and I am very comfortable. The stool allows you to move a little better for shots as well as being easy on the legs. A person can jump up for a shot or a chase without falling down because he has lost the use of one leg due to numbness. An elbow on each knee and the gun in sticks is a very stable way to shoot.

I hate to give any thing up as far as a coyotes approach goes and with a partner, I don't. I usually am watching an area that is greater than 180 degrees and try to set-up so the coyote cannot get below me. And if he can, I will try to kill him before he does. I survey the stand and look for the toughest place to get a rifle on a coyote. This is usually a spot that is pretty close to me and this place would allow a coyote to pop-in and pop-out quickly. My gun is on the sticks and pointed at this spot. The other approaches allow me more time to get on him.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

pilot teacher

I try to get as comfotable as possible in the particular environment I'm hunting.  I stand when on those rare occasion I can get a 180 degree shot (very rare). BUT I fidget alot and get impatient. Why? In Florida woods there's always those little branches and twigs that scrape against the camo, shoulders, you get the picture, you've been there.  There are few places where long shot are available or sitting with a bipod can be had. Generaly the grass and brush is high and the longest distances that mey be available is along a deer trail maybe not more than 50 yards.  For those I stand behind a stout tree using a limb for gun support.
The variables are so many and the yotes not so plentiful.  Was on a stand in the Croom WMA last week. Used a rabbit call. A few minutes later two people on horse back came riding up the trail. So much for yotes. :madd:
Some deer hunters around so the yotes are well spooked and hiding. :argh:

Bopeye

I don't believe I've ever tried standing.......interesting concept though.

I use a Nif-T-Seat, which is a single leg, swivel seat. It sets me up fairly high where I get a lot better view without having to stand. It beats setting on the ground, but I'm not standing either. It's about halfway between sitting on the ground and standing........about the height of sitting on a lawn chair............I really like mine and try not to leave home without it...........notice I said "try"..... :innocentwhistle:

That's all I have to say about that.....right Chet?  :iroll:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

coyotehunter_1

Yep, those Nif-T- Seats are... well ... rather nifty! Love mine!!! :biggrin:

That is... unless you forget to make sure the leg is screwed all the way into the seat... especially while setting up in a wet, muddy marsh.  :hahaha: I made a big impression that day! :shck: :shck: :shck:   

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bopeye

Dang I forgot about that.........was that a "big impression" or "big depression"?.........  :roflmao:

paint

sunday evening i got backdoored where the coyote was in shotgun range. i beleive if i was standing i might could have turned and got on him in time, but i had to just set there and listen to him run off after winding me. it was probably just because i rushed the setup because i  got home in time for one setup before dark. i think i learned my lesson, better to take the time to setup up right than to rush and educate a coyote. i guess thats just part of being a newbie.

Bopeye

Some call me professor due to all the coyotes I've educated......... :laf:

Everyone messes up stands..........I think that's why Chet sets me in the backseat of the SUV while he sets up about...........eh........about 1500 yards or so from me....... :huh: :biggrin:

coyotehunter_1

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.