• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Youth 10 year old deer hunting ?

Started by Coyotes-R-Us, December 26, 2018, 12:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyotes-R-Us

What do you think ?
I have mixed emotions about it, In my mind it is just a way for dad to shoot an extra deer.

A few years ago Montana started a mentor / 10 year old deer hunt.

I never checked in to it to see what all is involved.

My little Granddaughter expressed a desire to try it this next season.

Both my kids started hunting at 12 but like both the GDs they accompanied me before they could walk well.

The big GD only went "Deer" hunting once and did not cair for it, She is now in the air force, and still likes to go gopher and target shooting.

My Little one goes a LOT with me, fishing too, she has shot a good chunk of gophers and a few rabbits and one coyote.

She is still so small I have to carry her gun my 10/22 with a scope, and help hold it up.

I put a Bi pod on it with long legs to let her shoot with out my help, it works , kinda cumbersome but works.

Her mom has a 243 that I often use and will shoot flies at 100 yards but it is a full sized savage and quite heavy, even for her 4'7" mom.

The boy has a 7.62x39 bolt action with a 3X9 scope and small almost youth sized stock, VERY little recoil.

I'm thinking it would be a better choice.

We don't "Blind" hunt so it would have to be a spot and stock hunt.

That part is not a big deal, But we will have to do a BUNCH of shooting this summer before I would feel comfortable with her shooting a deer. I have a full sized deer target we used to work with her big sister. I take it out and put it in a coulee or something then take the GD out "Hunting" when she Spots the deer she has to make all the decision to shoot or not and set up her self fine where to shoot it then do it while I watch for safety issues and techniques.

In the past we used "trail boss" loads till we are out hunting.

Going to work? Or just not ethical?

Thoughts? 
old is the new young

Hawks Feather

If she is really interested and willing to show that she can hit a target I would go for it in a heartbeat.  That would even be if I had to carry the gun and set up the bipod for her when she was ready to shoot.  Let her get started and enjoy hunting while she is young.

Jerry

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Same. Take advantage of her interest and hopefully she sticks with it
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I concur with Mr. Feather above.

That's definitely a better way to start them. I see Dads around here in the Spring carrying a 12ga for 6-8yr olds & hope the turkey load recoil doesn't scare them off. Hell I hate those 12ga turkey loads!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

Jerry said it all, no more needs said.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Yep.  Take her hunting!

As to a youth tag being an excuse for an adult to shoot an extra deer, that is entirely dependent on the ethics of the adult.  No matter what others may do, we can do the right thing and thereby teach a BUNCH to the kid.