• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Ruger American Compact 22 WMR

Started by KySongDog, October 10, 2014, 05:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I got the bug for a new 22 mag so I picked up a Ruger American Compact 22 WMR.  It's got a 18 inch threaded barrel, bolt action, and uses the Ruger rotary magazine.  Holds nine rounds.    I took this little fellow out to see how it shot and was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy.  Off the bench at 75 yards I got this group using CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr HP and an old Bushnell 3x9 scope I had laying around.   The top shot was a called flyer.    Three holes touching.  Not bad I think.  The trigger is nice and crisp. Similar to the Savage accu trigger.   

Anyone else tried this rifle?

Here is a stock photo.

slagmaker

Nice shooting there Semp.

Nothing like breaking in a new bang stick.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

Looks good i get better accuracy for the cci than the win in my 597 wmr. It looks like someone is getting geard up for lbl.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

I like any Ruger...and your new toy is definitely no exception. :congrats:
Nice shooting
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Quote from: riverboss on October 10, 2014, 05:24:39 PM
Looks good i get better accuracy for the cci than the win in my 597 wmr. It looks like someone is getting geard up for lbl.

Do you ever get any split cases with that Win 22wmr ammo?    I have some of that stuff and get a lot of split cases (in my Savage and now the Ruger).  Fails to extract and is a major PITA.   I have written to Winchester about it.   I won't be buying anymore of it until they get their QC under control.   Maybe I just got a bad batch.   :shrug:   

I have 6 full boxes of Win 40gr HP if anyone is interested in it.  I bought it at various times over the last few years so maybe only some of it has the case problems.  I just don't have any confidence in it any longer. 

riverboss

I havent had any trouble with split cases but it sure sounds like it would get old dealing with it.

KySongDog

Yep, it got old.  7 out of 22 split the case which is a 32% failure rate.  I switched to the CCI ammo and no problems. 

JohnP

My 22WMR is a Anschutz and shoots super with the CCI's but not worth a darn with the Winchesters, but never had a split case.  I'm with you on the confidence thing, one is enough to give me pause about using them. 

I guess now that you have a Ruger you have become Jim's best friend.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

Quote from: JohnP on October 11, 2014, 12:40:54 PM

You might want to ask Jim that question.   :innocentwhistle:   :alscalls:

riverboss

Ruger has always made good guns the only thing ive seen is alot if them are heavy! But fit and finish has always been great on the ones ive handled.

Hawks Feather

I would be pleased with that accuracy.  Like others, I have always enjoyed my Ruger rifles.

Jerry

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 11, 2014, 02:56:38 PM
I would be pleased with that accuracy.  Like others, I have always enjoyed my Ruger rifles.

Jerry

I'll say I'd be pleased!  That's minute-of-grouse-head at 75 yards.

JohnP

Ruger rifles have come a long way in the recent past.  The Ruger 1 and 77 had a reputation as being not very accurate.  I think they make an excellent shotgun and their handguns are top notch and I have a few in the gun safe along with my #1.  Without a doubt the one Semp has is a shooter.  I also have a 10/22 that is my primary squirrel gun.  Years ago I had a couple of 77's, best darn tomato stakes I ever had :laf:
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

John,

I have a friend who is a gunsmith and he can make a #1 shoot, but with everything that is done it is almost less expensive to just have a totally custom rifle built from scratch.  As for the 77s, I have a .270 that wasn't too accurate until I had it pillar bedded and that made a world of difference.  It was going to be my western deer gun.  The only problem is that I never made it west.

Jerry

slagmaker

I really like my 10/22's and my Ruger pistols. Only 22magnum rifle I have is my Marlin but I have the single six with the magnum cylinder. I have shot several boxes of the Winchester's through both and have had no problem with split cases or FTF.  But sometimes bad ammo gets through.

What ya want for your Winchester ammo. I may just be interested.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

HuntnCarve

A few weeks back the neighbor won a Ruger American in 7mm-08 in a gun raffle.  He bought a Leupold Vari X2 3x-9x scope, and asked me to set it all up for him.  The stock was a plastic synthetic, not very sturdy with a lot of flexture.   
At the range I had it on paper with the initial collometer bore sighting.  It did not really like the Remington Core Lockt 140 grainers at 100 yards?  Was getting about a 3" group?  I then tried some of my reloads using 140 Nosler Ballistic tips and IMR-4350.  It shrunk the groups down to 1 inch.  Had it printing about 1-1/2" high at 100 yards.  The neighbor was thrilled.  He fired a group that basically mirrored mine.  As for the rifle itself?  It will serve him well this coming deer season.  About the only gripe I had was the synthetic stock seemed a little flimsy...

Johnny, have you tried the Winchester .22 Magnum Supremes in 34 grain hollowpoint?  In my .22 Ruger they shoot really well.  Much better than the 40 grain Hollow point Winchester loads.  I never had a case split using it, but then again.  I never had one split using the Win 40 grain loads?  I love the 34 grainers.  Killed a bunch of Red fox over the years with them. 

Dave

FinsnFur

Quote from: JohnP on October 11, 2014, 12:40:54 PM

He used to be my biggest enemy.   :waiting:

But thats all null and void now!  :jump: :thumb2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Quote from: HuntnCarve on October 11, 2014, 08:49:07 PM

Johnny, have you tried the Winchester .22 Magnum Supremes in 34 grain hollowpoint?  In my .22 Ruger they shoot really well.  Much better than the 40 grain Hollow point Winchester loads.  I never had a case split using it, but then again.  I never had one split using the Win 40 grain loads?  I love the 34 grainers.  Killed a bunch of Red fox over the years with them. 

Dave

I have not tried the 34gr loads.  I've stayed with the 40gr HP mostly due to coyote hunting and thinking the extra weight (6gr  :laf:) would make a difference.  Most of my shots would be 50 yards or less in the woods. 

I remember JimmyinKy shooting a yellow coyote at LBL once with a 32 or 34 gr 22WMR and we never recovered it.  He shot it twice at about 25 yards or so.  I know that doesn't prove anything but it kind of soured me on bullets less than 40gr.    :shrug: