• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My uncle's old shotgun

Started by KySongDog, September 17, 2014, 12:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

My uncle passed away over 10+ years ago.  Since his passing I've tried to help my aunt with financial affairs since she never got involved with that sort of stuff.  Recently she decided to down size from her house to an apartment.  She is almost 80 and wanted to make the move while her health was still good. 

She was cleaning out a closet and found a long forgotten shotgun which my uncle had bought back in the '50's and she asked me if I would like to have it to remember him by.  The gun is a J.C. Higgins model 20 12 gauge which was sold by Sears, Roebuck.  I took the gun home and cleaned it up a bit.  It doesn't look like it has been shot much as I don't remember my  uncle doing much hunting. 

This morning I took my uncle's memory and his gun for a squirrel hunt.   After a lot of walking, we manage to find a big female fox and a small grey.   They are in the crockpot as I type this post. 

It is amazing to look at the fit, feel and finish of those guns made "back in the day" when compared with today's production.  To me there is no comparison.  This old J.C. Higgins might have been a poor man's gun back then but it definitely shows quality that is missing today.

Here is a short video of its slick action:

And the result of me and my uncle's walk this morning:

Like most of you, I have several guns available to me.  But this one is special and I'll never sell or trade it.

HaMeR

I'm really happy you ended up with that shotgun Johnny!! It's a fine looking piece & it sure looks good up against that tree!!  :highclap: :highclap:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

slagmaker

OH man!! What a great gift from your uncle.

Hope you have many walks with him.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

Man what a great gift!! You can hear how slick the action is. They dont make them anymore like that.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

msmith

Pretty nice! Heirloom guns are the best.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

FinsnFur

You wanna sell that?? :huh:

I'm kidding :wink: What an honorable gift for sure.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

Semp, if you get another red squirrel or two. Could you send me the tails? I will be more than happy to pay to ship them out here. I'm wanting to use them tieing flys. Just dab a little salt over the ends of them, that is if you don't mind mailing them my way.

By the way, nice shotgun. Over the last few years, I have picked up two of my grandpa's old guns and one of my great grandpa's. Wouldn't take nothing for them.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

gravesco hunter

Seems like when you have a firearm from passed kin you remember them every time you look at it,i know i do,congrats on the shotgun and the hunt

KySongDog

Quote from: centerfire_223 on September 18, 2014, 04:44:31 AM
Semp, if you get another red squirrel or two. Could you send me the tails?

No problem.  PM sent.   

Coulter

That's a dandy piece Semp! Ya just gotta love a firearm that has some history behind it.

Steve

Okanagan

Yep, that's heritage kind of history.

Hawks Feather

It is great that it is staying in the family and also you have an heirloom.

Jerry

riverboss

Ive owned a couple old 22s that were jc higgins the fit and finish beats 90 percent of the 22s sold today and a many tree rats fell to them.

JohnP

That may well be a Win Mdl 12.  Winchester made a bunch of shotguns and rifles as did Remington that sold under various names during that time period.  Put three in and hold the trigger back, jack them into the chamber and if it fires them it's a Mdl 12.  Looks exactly like my Mdl 12.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

riverboss

I think your on to something Johnp.

shaddragger

Nice story Semp. I know you enjoyed one more walk with in the woods with your uncle.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Roundman

Sweet little gift. I love the old guns.

Dave

Nice Semp.  Nothing like a gun passed down from your family.  They're always far more accurate and lighter than if you'd buy it.