• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Got a new one.

Started by coyote101, March 18, 2019, 07:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I picked up a new toy at a gun show recently.

Thompson/Center Encore in .300 Blackout with Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12X42 scope.

I took it to hog camp last week and took this guy Friday evening:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Boy that looks short!
How long is that barrel? Does it kick like a Mule?
Nice shot on the hog by the way :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Geez that looks like a huge hog.  I also wanna know about the kick.  Good job. :highclap:
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 18, 2019, 09:37:08 PM
Boy that looks short!
How long is that barrel? Does it kick like a Mule?

The barrel is 16 1/2 inches long. That's a little behind the first row of ports on the muzzle brake, it's about another inch to the end of the brake.

Recoil is minimal, .300 Blackout is just a .223 necked up to .30 caliber. Some guys are shooting .460 & .500 magnums in these things, that would be brutal!  :sad3:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Interesting round, nifty rifle.

WTG on the pig.  Would love to get a whopper hog like that.

nastygunz

Crikey! That pig looks like a man eater.

Hawks Feather

Nice little gun there. I have a friend who keeps trying to get me into 300BO but I have resisted. I have shot his and it is a nice accurate round, but I don't have any hogs around here for target practice.

JohnP

A lot of the guys around here are now shooting the 300BO and really liking it.  For all the hunting I do any more I'm going to have to pass on it.  Pat did that hog run a distance after you shot it, how about terminal ballistics? 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Quote from: JohnP on March 19, 2019, 10:32:17 AM
Pat did that hog run a distance after you shot it, how about terminal ballistics?

John,

The hog ran about seventy-five yards before going down. I was using Barnes 110 grain VOR-TX ammo. The bullets are all copper, and are supposed to expand to near double diameter while retaining most of their weight. The shot was through and through, but the blood trail was minimal. He might have been hard to find in thicker or taller vegetation. 

I shot him about where the yellow dot is just to the left of the feeder. He ran across that little creek and ended up in the field about where the blue arrow is. (The dark spot near there is just a shadow of a depression in the field) The dark spot under the yellow arrow is a big sow that my friend Kenny shot the night before the picture was taken.

Here is a closer look at that big sow. She tipped the scales at close to 230 pounds,

Pat
NRA Life Member

HaMeR

Dang!! Thems some nice hogs Pat!! You guys done real good!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

WOW! That's a big sow.  Since he shot it the night before and it's still there does he not plan on butchering it?  Not that I'm criticizing him for it if that is the case, just curious.  I know in some parts/ranches of TX, OK and elsewhere they just leave them lay. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Quote from: JohnP on March 19, 2019, 06:52:07 PM
WOW! That's a big sow.  Since he shot it the night before and it's still there does he not plan on butchering it?  Not that I'm criticizing him for it if that is the case, just curious.  I know in some parts/ranches of TX, OK and elsewhere they just leave them lay.

John,

Those boars and big sows can taste pretty nasty, so we usually just take pictures and drag them to a dead pit. Also, this place has had a lot of hogs test positive for brucellosis, so we are careful about getting any hog blood on us. I have butchered a few of them and the smaller sows are pretty tasty. There is a 10X12' walk in cooler on the place to hang the hogs if we want to keep them.

Pat
NRA Life Member

KySongDog

Nice Pat!  That looks like a big one. 

Do you wear hearing protection with that new rifle? 

coyote101

Quote from: KySongDog on March 20, 2019, 10:54:41 AM
SeeNice Pat!  That looks like a big one. 

Do you wear hearing protection with that new rifle?

We did not weigh him, but I would guess him to be around 200 pounds, maybe a little more .

I wore hearing protection while zeroing the rifle, but didn't have it when I shot the hog. I won't make that mistake again. It is pretty loud behind that brake, and the muzzle flash is pretty pronounced.

Pat
NRA Life Member