• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Gun related laws on a new thread.

Started by pitw, January 20, 2010, 08:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I figure we need a place to discuss this besides the youth contest thread. 
  Yes we live in different country's with a border.  I believe we can all learn something by discussing the differences and seeing things from different perspectives.  Like FOs said I live in a restrictive country and you guys have your amendment to fall back on.  We all would like to see different areas and I think maybe with what FOsteology knows, and all us others can add we will all be a lot smarter in the end.  I know I learned more in the past 24 hours than my elected politician has learned in six years in the house of commons :innocentwhistle:.  One thing I feel the need to address is this quote.

Quote from: FOsteology on January 20, 2010, 05:45:49 PM

I need to make this publicly clear as I've perceived some scuttlebutt behind the scene.... I nor Jim had absolutely NO intentions of Bob being left out. One way or the other he would have been made whole and right by me on this contest. Period.

I know I talked in chat with about six guys last night about what they knew or could learn about getting the gun up here.  I also know that FOsteology has been nothing short of superb in his handling of the sticky issue and had told me before that Bob was never, ever going to be cheated out of a gun[anyone says anything to the contrary speak up now cause I'm short on sleep and feel the need of a good scrap so the dog don't get kicked] and trust me I believed him.
  I have tried in the past to just get a sprayer across the border from six miles on your side and because it had an engine it would take 72-who knows how many hours to get it across.  Had it been a pull type I could have drug it home that day.
  Guns and hunting equipment are kinda/sorta the same as I can bring some things back here but not others and without the knowledge of what can be taken either way legally it can really turn a border crossing into a nightmare. 
  The contest was a wonderful event that shouldn't be marred by anything resembling a scrap.  Everyone on here is a winner because of the contest, the youth got a place to show their stuff[and take home some loot] and us old[passing gas twice] got to see them and relive memory's I'm sure.  If we learn from this we can make future contests just that much better.

Let us learn.                                                  Your turn guys.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

You just be sure and post that proud legend of a new coyote hunter somewhere where Red Fart can see it.......
I sure aint seen him do anything nice for a kid......

We are all proud of Bob and I dare to say if ever given the chance I would be proud to hunt with him any day...... :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FOsteology

I have to admit, I wasn't very optimistic from the start as I have previously gone down this road....

Problem I encountered before was the lack of an FFL on my side that both had experience in this, as well as willing to assist in obtaining an export permit from the US Dept. of State.

I was on the horn first thing this morning burning up the phone lines calling FFL holders as far away as Houston.... my last ditch resort was to make a post (cry for help!) on the campfire and Accurate Reloading to see if anyone there (huge international membership on both sites) could be of assistance.... or at least direct me in the right direction. That way I'd have something more positive to relay to Barry this afternoon when I was expecting his call.

Just when it was looking grim, Barry found a guy on his end that could not ONLY handle the Canadian side of things, but he also had a direct business contact (FFL holder) in Montana that he regularly imports from! Hit me like a ton of bricks in the head later.... spinning my wheels stateside when I should have been thinking about the FFL Canadian equivalent (Possession and Acquisition Licence/PAL??) as one would have to assume they of all people in this scenario would have some inkling on the procedure and whom they have dealt with on this side of the boarder.  :doh2:

You don't know how relieved and happy I am (Jim too!!!) to have a positive solution. I was honestly sick to my stomach as I know no matter how much money may have been obtained from selling this rifle, no off the shelf rifle would stand a candle to what Charley and I put together.

I'm ecstatic that all has worked out for the best! Still have just a small amount of a sour taste in my mouth from all the bureaucratic red tape and hoops one has to go through. What's utterly shocking is that these rules not only apply to complete firearms, but also firearm parts (barrels, receivers) in which even rifle scopes are included!  :shock2:    Last part makes no sense to me..... but then again.... anytime dealing with a government agency and their rules and regulations, sense doesn't seem to come into the equation.....

KySongDog

Congratulations to FOs, Barry and everyone who made this happen.   :congrats:   

msmith

I just can't wait to see pics with Bob and the rifle...especially if he nailed a coyote with it.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

pitw

The thing of it is it wasn't just FOS and Barry :nofgr:.  FOS has already said he talked to many people and I talked to so many I think I even sold a gun :readthis: in the process.  The way people stood up and wanted to help with this problem was truly amazing to me.  In chat alone I came away with at least 6 sites to garner information from that all taught me something.  People are a wonderful commodity when it comes time to get something done :bowingsmilie:. I know one thing for a fact now instead of a myth and that is I'm leaving a day early for Montana just so I can spend a few hours at the border talking face to face with the gaurds.

slagmaker

I know I found a lot of information and I even found a link from the Royal mounted police site to a site that had a listing of all people/bisinesses that can export/import on the American side [Even found some in TX] and a listing of the Import export  business on the Canadian side.

I must say the RCMP site was very easy to navagate. When they said you need this form or this permit they had a link right there for where to obtain what ya needed.

If ya read the info it really isnt all that hard to do IF you have all your ducks in a row and all your paper work. It just takes a lot of ducks and a lot of paperwork. :readthis:

If you really want a lay out of how to ship guns between the two countries go to gunbroker.com and check out there help pages on international shipping. Lots of good reading there and a ton of info. You know in case a member runs into this kind of problem in the future.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

Fos,

While it seems that this is pretty well worked out, if if heads south again let me know.  I have a friend, or some of his staff, in DC that might be able to help.

Jerry

pitw

Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 21, 2010, 10:43:45 AM
Fos,

While it seems that this is pretty well worked out, if if heads south again let me know.  I have a friend, or some of his staff, in DC that might be able to help.

Jerry

Hey cool Jerry.  Do you suppose they could help with any pardons or extradition problems I may encounter down there :wo:.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: pitw on January 21, 2010, 10:54:06 AM
Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 21, 2010, 10:43:45 AM
Fos,
Jerry
Hey cool Jerry.  Do you suppose they could help with any pardons or extradition problems I may encounter down there :wo:.

I don't think a US Congressman carries much weight on the other side of the border.  You just need to work to get your cousin elected as your representative.    ;yes;

Jerry

FOsteology

Slag,

If you don't mind and not to much trouble, could you please post a link to that list of people/businesses (FFL holders) you found on the RMP site? That would without a doubt be some good useful information to have tucked away for possible future use.

slagmaker

Will do. I will see what I can do to get everything I found in one post. Went through a lot of sites and my internet is slow so bear with me.

slagmaker

I am having troubles finding some of the links I found last night.

Here is the list gunbroker.com has for exporters. This is not the big list I found but it will help
http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?FAQID=1110&NoCount=1

I found a more lengthy list and I am going through my history to see if I can find it. There was a list at the American ATF site but it keeps telling me I have an error now everytime I try to open that page.

This is the firearms program at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police site.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

This is the list of carriers that Canada wants you to use for shipping firearms
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/carr-tran/index-eng.htm

I will keep trying to find everything I found before.