• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Rem. 597 22 WMR

Started by Yotehntr, February 16, 2010, 11:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Well it's a bit anemic but to follow the WMA rules in TN it's that or a shotgun. I usually hunt private but for a quick hunt I live close to a WMA.... anyway to get to the point, I bought this gun last year, as far as accuracy it does pretty good for a rimfire. If I could just get it to function as a semi auto instead of a single shot it'd tickle the cra_ out of me. You see the clip malfunctions, I've never been able to shoot 8...(what the clip will hold) sometimes only 1 in a row....now that's real good on a coyote huh... I've done some searching on the net, and found out yep that a problem...no real good solutions. I'm pretty sure I at least have the 2nd generation clip... I took one apart and stretched out the spring...trying to strengthen it some. Cleaned it out real good...still no good...I've considered buffing out the whole inside of the clip & follower ...anyone have any dealings with these junk clips???
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

coyotehunter_1

Brad, sorry I have no experience with the 597's myself but have you seen this? >>>

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67286
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Yotehntr

:yoyo:  You da Man Chet!!!  :yoyo:   I've had the clip apart...no problem... a little sanding/buffing will be a piece of cake.  Thanks bud!  :yoyo:

KySongDog

Nice site, Chet.  Thanks for posting that link.

slagmaker

Let us know how it works out for ya.

My sisters 597 sometimes sticks so this may be the answer for her's.

Rimfire cdentral is a great site. Loads of info for all your rimfire needs..
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Yotehntr

Well now that I've tried doing this I see the mag they're working with is a 22 lr.   I have the follower gliding through with no problem drops in and out with out a glitch... put shells in and they hang everywhere.  :mad3: What a piece of junk.  I've  used a dremel and tried grinding/polishing all rough edges as far inside the clip as I can... buffing with jewelers rouge.... I've been a Remington fan for a long, long time. I've sent the company a couple e-mails...they answer with generated messages sending me some where that says...access denied!!! Here's what I sent them:

I have been hunting with Remington shot guns and rifles for over 30 years. My 1st was a Remington 1100 16 ga. I saved up and bought at 16 (used) I remember once when the barrel was off I let the bolt slam forward...didn't know any better at the time. It broke the extractor and I ended up carrying it to a gun smith. He fixed it free of charge and said Remington stands behind their guns. Needless to say that won me over and I've been a life long buyer of Remington ever since...as a matter of fact, I'm sitting here with a Remington hat on my head. I have 6 Remington's in my gun safe and the next gun I've been planning to buy is a Remington for very large game. After being the company that I've always said and argued makes the best guns, and being #1 on my list I purchased a Remington model 597 22 WMR. I haven't been able to get it to shoot more than a couple shots before the cartridges jam inside the clips. (I bought an extra) I contacted someone on one of these "contact us" pages and got a short cut to no where, and get an access denied on top of that. I am shocked to say the least but have been in the working world long enough to know there are employees at every company that don't live up to company standards. I hope this was one of these instances and not a different direction Remington has decided to take. I honestly expected 2 new clips for my gun when I contacted Remington the 1st time. I hope to have a better response this time. Please don't disappoint, Thank you for your time, Sincerely,

Brad Gainey
3102 Chanda Ln
Murfreesboro TN 37129

Took the time to write that and get a generated message sending me to no where... have to say I'm dissappointed.

HaMeR

Have you called them?? The problems you are experiencing are the same ones that led me to the tube fed Marlin 22WMR. It's a bolt gun but once the trigger was re-worked per all Marlins it's doing purdy good. I was told that if I bought a 597 22WMR all IO had to do was call rem & tell them it wasn't feeding properly & they would send me a new metal clip. Apparently that isn't the correct fix either.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Yotehntr

:doh2:  noooo.... well now I have.     :biggrin:   They are sending me a new clip free of charge! Hope this one works better!  Thanks Glen!

HaMeR

Hopefully in the next few days I can say I was glad to help.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

You're Welcome.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

MI VHNTR

Yotehntr, I had a 597 Mag years back. The magazine can be a cause of FTF and FTE, but there is also another place to look for a cause for either of these problems. The bolt on these rifles rides on two guide rails. that are held in place by two allen head screws. If either of these screws are too tight, the guide rail can flex and cause the bolt to bind causing the FTF/FTE problems. I had it happen to mine after I gave it a complete disassembly and a good cleaning. Once the screws were only finger tight, the rifle ran just fine. This might help you to get your rifle to run properly.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Yotehntr

Nope, it's the clip...when the cartridges aren't making it to the top of the clip it's a dead give away.  :wink: