• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

45 long Colt who's got one?

Started by WldWldWest, May 09, 2011, 10:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WldWldWest

Alright, Im itching for a Ruger Vaquero in 45LC! Dont really know why!?! But whatta Cool shootin iron with a Hoss for a round!

I've never had any dealings with a 45LC, Somebody school me?
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Todd Rahm

I don't have a deticated gun for the round but my 454 and my comanche both shoot them.  :shrug:

hunter724

my daughter has on in a nef single shot...she killed her first 2 bucks with it...my son in law just got a new gray laminate stainless steel...lever in a marlin in that caliber sweet rifle.....easy to reload even having to have to crimp them...for the single shot i done....

Hawks Feather

I bought a used Ruger 45LC three years ago, bought brass, and bullets, but have never loaded or fired a single round.  I guess I am not any help at all for you.   :sad: 

Jerry

WldWldWest

Quote from: Hawks Feather on May 10, 2011, 07:15:16 AM
I bought a used Ruger 45LC three years ago, bought brass, and bullets, but have never loaded or fired a single round.  I guess I am not any help at all for you.   :sad: 

Jerry

At least someone else bought one that didnt really have any plans for it! You did help Jerry! I'm gonna do it too!

!

MI VHNTR

I've got a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 LC. It is an absolute blast to shoot.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

msmith

In a Ruger Blackhawk or OLD Vaquero, you can load them about the same as a 44 mag. It makes a great deer round. In a new Vaquero, or Colt SAA type revolver, they are just fun to plink with or for CAS.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

vvarmitr

Thanks for the chance to show off Buddy. My idea of a great hiking/hunting/self-defence/working on the farm/etc gun.  :biggrin:
I love the 45LC & hope someday to get a Marlin levergun or maybe a Henry Yellow Boy or both in it!   :eyebrow:
Only thing is the off the self ammo is light so it can be shot in the older guns, but if you get the Black Hawk or Vaquero you can stoke her & get the 44Mag boys to blush in shame.  :wink:   :laf:

WldWldWest

Whats the difference in the old and new Vaquero? Course I would wanna shoot a deer with it!

!

KyBoarSlayer

Hey Wild West,
yes the 45 Colt is a blast to shoot. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull, and I shoot a lot more 45 Colt than Casulls through it. In fact, for a deer round, I dont believe you need the power of the Casull, unless you plan to shoot over 100 yards. I dont know if you reload, but the manuals make a distinction between regular 45 Colts and 45 Colt +P. From the Hornady manual for example, the regular Colt loads go to about 850 fps with the 250 gr Hornady XTP, while +P loads go to 1300 fps or better ! These +p loadings can actually exceed the power and performance of the mighty 44 mag !

I would recommend getting a revolver capable of handling the +P loadings, especially for deer hunting. Even these +P loads are not a problem to handle in my Ruger, in fact they are quite pleasant to shoot, especially compared to Casull loads :).

Here are the loads I used in my 45 Colt last year for deer and boar respectively (for informational use only, please refer to your manual for loading data):

Deer load
45 Colt
250 gr Hornady XTP
18.7 gr AA #9
Average velocty: 1006 fps

Boar load
45 Colt
250 gr Hornady XTP
25.7 gr H110 (from Hodgons 2010 Annual manual under 45 Colt)
Average velocty: 1319 fps

the boar load is stout, and cleanly dispatched (with full pass through in some cases) 2 300 pound Tennessee razorbacks.
Hope this helps,
Billy Jack

WldWldWest

Quote from: KyBoarSlayer on May 16, 2011, 01:59:31 PM
Hey Wild West,
yes the 45 Colt is a blast to shoot. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull, and I shoot a lot more 45 Colt than Casulls through it. In fact, for a deer round, I dont believe you need the power of the Casull, unless you plan to shoot over 100 yards. I dont know if you reload, but the manuals make a distinction between regular 45 Colts and 45 Colt +P. From the Hornady manual for example, the regular Colt loads go to about 850 fps with the 250 gr Hornady XTP, while +P loads go to 1300 fps or better ! These +p loadings can actually exceed the power and performance of the mighty 44 mag !

I would recommend getting a revolver capable of handling the +P loadings, especially for deer hunting. Even these +P loads are not a problem to handle in my Ruger, in fact they are quite pleasant to shoot, especially compared to Casull loads :).

Here are the loads I used in my 45 Colt last year for deer and boar respectively (for informational use only, please refer to your manual for loading data):

Deer load
45 Colt
250 gr Hornady XTP
18.7 gr AA #9
Average velocty: 1006 fps

Boar load
45 Colt
250 gr Hornady XTP
25.7 gr H110 (from Hodgons 2010 Annual manual under 45 Colt)
Average velocty: 1319 fps

the boar load is stout, and cleanly dispatched (with full pass through in some cases) 2 300 pound Tennessee razorbacks.
Hope this helps,
Billy Jack

Thanks Billy Jack, Thats some good info! Im kinda on fire for the Vaquero, Will the new one's hold up to the +P loads? I load for quite a few rnds but never fooled with the 45LC! I do load for my 44Mag 629 Classic

!

vvarmitr

You know w/ the Vaquero you don't have adjustable sights. :nofgr:
If you would want adjustable sights you'll have to go w/ a Blackhawk or the double action Redhawk.
The Blackhawk is like the Vaquero (single action), but has the adjustable sights & you can get both in a Bisley configuration as well.
Personally, I like the Bisley.  :biggrin:

WldWldWest

Quote from: vvarmitr on May 31, 2011, 10:25:09 AM
You know w/ the Vaquero you don't have adjustable sights. :nofgr:
If you would want adjustable sights you'll have to go w/ a Blackhawk or the double action Redhawk.
The Blackhawk is like the Vaquero (single action), but has the adjustable sights & you can get both in a Bisley configuration as well.
Personally, I like the Bisley.  :biggrin:
Let me show my real knowledge of a wheel gun....What is a Bisley? Really I dont have a clue! What set me on fire for the Vaquero is my Barber which is a friend of mine that is Overboard Crazy about Engraved Handguns bought one and had it completly engraved and after he showed it to me and I got to play with it and shoot it I decided to pick one up. I'm not crazy at all about the engraving but the Gun and the round intrest me. The adjustable sights are not a deal breaker for me as I dont tend to hit what I'm shooting at anyway :alscalls:

!

Hawks Feather

Quote from: WldWldWest on May 31, 2011, 11:15:51 AM
I dont tend to hit what I'm shooting at anyway :alscalls:

Now there is a statement that describes me.

Jerry

msmith

The new Vaquero is more of a replica of the Colt SAA. I don't believe they are rated for the +P loads. The old Vaqueros or Blackhawks are...however; sometimes you need the throats reamed. There is a guy on the internet doing them for $25.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI