• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

SCOPE MALFUNCTION!!!!!!

Started by bushmaster, August 02, 2009, 09:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmaster

Hey fellas, new problem that needs the attention of you seasoned shooters.  My millett scope that is mounted on my .338 Win Mag. recently developed a problem.  I had the magnification on full power and fired.  The sight picture became blurred and never came back to clarity. I backed off the magnification and the sight picture came back.  Then, the problem repeated. Eventually i was reduced to using minimal magnification and infinite focus to keep a clear sight picture.  WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

alscalls

Sounds like your scope is toast.......I have had it happen similar to this in the past. I would call the company and explain everything to them....they should replace it for you......That scope may not be good enough to hold to that cal./load
Do you have a muzzle break on this rifle?
I ask cause it can sometimes cause a violent backlash to a scope and some just will not take it.
I have shot a lot of spring and piston high powered air rifles the back and fourth motion of the spring when fired can rip the cross hairs right out of a scope not designed to take it. :wink:
That scope will get worse and eventually look like a kaleidoscope ....seeing dual or multiple images....or the cross hairs will break.
I have sent a bunch of them back and never had a problem getting a replacement.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

weedwalker

FOsteology

Quote from: weedwalker on August 02, 2009, 10:13:03 PM
YOU BROKE IT !!

Without a doubt!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

alscalls

Thanks Ed I coulda saved a lot of typing........... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

Hawks Feather

Sounds like it is time for it to return to the manufacturer.  Shooting a .338 can cause some scopes to die.  I can't really say much about the Millett with high power since I only have one on a .22 LR.

Jerry

KySongDog

You didn't break that scope, bushy.  That dayumed .338 win mag did it!   :biggrin:   I hope ya got a nice Limbsaver recoil pad on that baby.   :eyebrownod:  That caliber is a real azz kicker with 220 grain bullets.   :shck:   Are ya goin' grizzly bear huntin'?   :laf:

bushmaster

I DO have a muzzle brake on it as well as a limb saver.  Never knew that the brake could cause such a misfortune, but it makes sense.  The problem didn't occur until AFTER I had the brake installed.  Only 50 rounds LATER!!  DAMMIT!!! :argh:  I went to the millett sight and the actual bottom line of the warranty info said That a Receipt is required to honor the warranty.  I bought the rifle used from my local gun store with the scope already on it.  I'll call them anyway but do you think Im up shnitz creek here?

THANK YOU ED, I was lost before you shared such wisdom :roflmao:

SEMP, I load 225gr spitzers with 72gr of H4831sc. i have never been grizzly hunting.  It's anything i need it for rifle :wink:

weedwalker

Quote from: bushmaster on August 04, 2009, 12:40:16 AMTHANK YOU ED, I was lost before you shared such wisdom

No problem Nate. Glad to help. I've been around other scopes that did this and after checking them out it always came down to one thing......

They were BROKE

Carolina Coyote

Bushy, Call Millett (714-842-5575) The Scopes have a lifetime Guarantee, or sent it to them with a letter ( NoReceipt) of what it is doing and they will send you a new one, I dropped one and bent the tube, they replaced it.
Address:
Millett
16131-K Gothard Street
Huntington Beach, CA 92647.
Their site: WWW.MILLETTSIGHTS.COM
They are good scopes and the company will honer the guarantee. cc

alscalls

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on August 04, 2009, 09:42:12 AM
Bushy, Call Millett (714-842-5575) The Scopes have a lifetime Guarantee, or sent it to them with a letter ( NoReceipt) of what it is doing and they will send you a new one, I dropped one and bent the tube, they replaced it.
Address:
Millett
16131-K Gothard Street

Do It.....I have done this many times with several companies......they all seem to want to help ya out....just be honest with them and see what you need for that gun....that round....a muzzle break....even a simms pad.
Some of them even sent me a better scope at no charge to see if it could take it.  :eyebrownod:
AL

Todd Rahm

Bushy, Its not you, its your scope.  :biggrin: A .338 will put a beating on your average walmart scope.  :wink: I don't know anything about the scope ya use though.

I was using those High Energy 250's in mine when they first came out years ago, my scope survived the abuse but man, after three rounds I had to get all the precautionary devices myself. I'd say the kick between the regular 250's and the HE rounds was equivalent to saying it went from kicking like my lil sister to down right getting hit by a semi.  :shck: I had to quit shooting them as I had to beat my bolt open to eject the rounds.

I first took those HE rounds to the range to sight in the rifle and man after three, I said "I'm gona wait until I get my rifle set up for this before I shoot anymore of those rounds". My lil skinny buddy called me wimp in not so polite terms and laughed at me. (He hadn't shot them yet)  :sneer: So I loaded the HE's in my rifle and placed on regular 250 at the top, and told him to give them a try.  :innocentwhistle: He shot that first regular one like it was nothing and looked back with a big shit eating grin on his face, and shrugged like it was nothing. (This is where evil Todd grinning on the inside) I said "Go ahead and try a couple more."  :biggrin: He touched of the trigger on the second one, and I can't really describe it, but it sure looked like someone hit him with a baseball bat, and he damn near dropped by rifle.  :roflmao: His departing words after that second round was "Dude, I'm done and I ain't shooting anymore of those."  :roflmao:

alscalls

AL

bushmaster

:laf: :laf:  I have had similar experiences.  I let people at the range try it out and most times they get bit on nose.  It's priceless to see the shock on their faces.

I called and they said to send it in.   :whew: The guy on the phone said it sounds like something just came loose inside.  we'll see if they repair or replace it.

bushmaster

Quote from: alscalls on August 04, 2009, 09:51:48 AM
Quote from: Carolina Coyote on August 04, 2009, 09:42:12 AM
Address:
Millett
16131-K Gothard Street

Do It.....I have done this many times with several companies......they all seem to want to help ya out....just be honest with them and see what you need for that gun....that round....a muzzle break....even a simms pad.
Some of them even sent me a better scope at no charge to see if it could take it.  :eyebrownod:

You were right!!  They said that they werew sending me a new buck gold 4-16x56mm, but it is back ordered until the end of september.  I told the lady that waiting so long did not sit well with me and she offered another choice of scope.  I requested the new buck gold side focus 6-25x56mm scope and she said that there would be a difference of $300.  I asked if i could be compensated for my wait by having the difference waived and she put me on hold.  After about 5 minutes, she came back and said that they would be happy to!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:  Needless to say, I am one happy camper.  If you guys are interested in viewing the upgrade, it is the BK30738.  I'm no good at posting pictures.

FinsnFur

geeeeez, hit em kinda hard didnt ya :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

I knew they would help ya out!   .........Most folks these days just wont ask........
I am glad your getting it all worked out......but do ya think the scope can take it?
What did they say about the muzzle break?
AL

bushmaster

They didnt remark on the brake as much as the caliber.  They didnt say what broke in the scope either.  If the new scope doesn't stand up to the .338, i guess i'll just have to upgrade again :eyebrow:

alscalls

AL

Carolina Coyote

Bushy, Let me know how the new scope checks out as I was looking at that model to put on a 270,  Glad to hear that they stood by their warranty. cc