• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

You ever have one of those days?

Started by keekee, February 17, 2007, 04:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

Its been one for me! I got some new burl in the mail this week and very first piece cracked right down the middle! I got the next one to turn well and did turn out nice.

I went to turn a standard call and noticed a little problem. I had a .007 difference in wall thickness. So, I changed the mandrel and turned new plugs. Set up another call and still had .007 difference in wall thickness. Really a little more this time I would say around .015 or so, I could see it with my eye and didn't haft to use a Mic.

I got the indicator out and checked the mandrel, it was good to. Then I set the indicator up on the taper of the head stock. Sure enough, I got two bad bearings in the head stock! I could move the bearings a good amount, I cant believe I didn't notice this before now.

I went back and checked the calls I had turned, wall thickness was good on all them. Never seen a bearings go that fast?

So, got her shut down till I get some bearings in here to change them out!

Brent

Lonehowl

Kee, Ive done the exact same thing. You start measuring and eyeballing everything, with the lathe on, turning it by hand, etc.
I discovered today, after turning about 20 pieces of  Delrin, my motor is making a "funny" grinding sound :rolleye:

FinsnFur

Brent, that may be from me  :holdon:

Remember when I said how do ya run this thing, and then let me make a call?
I was...... :shrug: well you seen me.  :sneer:  I was really going at it like a professional. I wondered if the lathe was even going to endure the time it took me to make mine the way I was hogging into it.

:laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

There was allot of hrs on them bearings! They earned there money for sure. Just never seen them go that fast!

It might have been your falt Jim! :innocentwhistle:

Brent