• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What’s it worth? A new collaborative effort…

Started by Coulter, May 04, 2009, 09:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I met two gentleman at a waterfowl show I attend each year and we decided to try and combine our efforts. They obviously have much more time invested in these calls than I do so I let them set the price on them. These calls are all hand done, both carving and scrimshaw work. The calls are made of cow horn and measure up to about 7” or so in length (priming horns). Each one has a coyote head scrimshawed onto it and I gotta say… the coyote head is absolutely amazing. They all have a lanyard groove carved into them and some of them have a little extra carving done on them as well.

Here is the deal…I have not yet finished designing a decent open reed toneboard (I am working on it still) These calls are all closed reed for right now. I haven’t seen a closed reed predator call made from cow horn yet. These calls are for super long distance calling… they are loud but may still be muffled for closer work by cupping your hand over the exhaust.

I do plan to have them do more work for me and we will be putting out some calls with more extensive scrimshaw and carving work…as well as the open reed design.

So what is something like this worth to some of you collectors out there? I know you want to see some pics. I will get them done when I get home tonight. I know what they want me to get out of them; I just want to see if it is out of line before I post up the price and the nicest couple of the twelve they gave me for sale.

Steve

Coulter

Okay, here you guys go... I figured I would put a couple of them up here -  1 black and 1 brown. Each one of those little bitty black lines is done by hand, scrimshawed onto the horn. So what would be a good price to charge in your professional opinions. :wink: They did give me a price of what they would like to get out of one, I just want to see if it is reasonable from an unbiased opinion before I offer them up.

The brown call...

A little closer look...

The Black Call...

A little closer look...

And here is a powder horn with a wolf scene that shows what I am hoping to have done on some howlers if and when I get a design done on my toneboard. This is just to show what they are capable of doing. Again, all by hand, one little line at a time and hand carved! I would love to keep this for myself, but I am taking it to a show this weekend and trying to sell it for them.

Oh and don't mind my dandelion garden...its almost harvest time :roflmao:

Steve

ninthinning

Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

alscalls

It is to hard to decide something like that not knowing what it took to do......Very nice work! :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

Your artist has done some beautitful work there. I doubt I could do as well with pencil and paper. I think the 175 would be about right for the calls and 250 for the powder horn.

Al, they took about five times the work you put in your bows if that gives you an idea.Jimmie

Bills Custom Calls

Steve
I think I would have to have one of those in my hands so I can slobber all over it to be able to tell you what it would be worth  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Those are very nicely done and I wouldn't even begin to know how to price them
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Wow.
I was gonna say pretty close to 200 bucks. Man that is some art.

I'd like to hear what HuntnCarve and Todd have to say about the value.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Thanks for the input guys. These calls are going to be sold for $80 TYD.

Bill, I didn't really know what to charge for them either thats why I let the two guys that did the most work set the price for them. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't out of line before I offered them up for sale.

Jim - Todd, Dave, Brian and some others gave very valuable insight on the CPCMCA website. Here is a link if you want to check out what they thought.... http://custompredatorcallassociation.com/forums/index.php?topic=710.0

By the way, if anybody wants one speak up soon, I will heading out to a show tomorrow morning and I'm hoping not to come back with any of them. I only have twelve and I'm not sure if anymore will be done like this or not since they are having trouble locating a good supplier of priming size horns. Future scrimshawed horns my be larger standard sized horns with more artwork and hopefully an open reed design if all goes well.

Steve