• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

soap

Started by pitw, December 04, 2016, 07:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I don't always do the stuff that can be done to save money but I damb sure watch how it can be done.  I was up to the colony earlier this fall[kid lost me camera card for a spell] and the women were making soap for washing clothes and cleaning the kitchen.  These folk do not like cameras but as I was there to pay a fellow for something he did for me and I have known the colony my whole life they allowed me to take some pics.  No less than 4 elders came over to check me out in the two hours I spent with the women while waiting for Moses to show up.  Normally the women never talk to us outsiders but all these women finally warmed up and I think I learned as much from them in two hours as I do from 2 years with the men. 
   They do this soap making once a year or maybe 2 years as they use all the chicken fat, pig scraps, beef tallow and it looked like most anything an animal may have had.  There were more than a few bones I saw put into this batch.
  The morning started at 5am for a couple of them as they started the fire to cook up the soap in this.

The goop looked like this and later it kinda/sorta foamed up right to the top before being allowed to cool a bit before being poured into the cake makers.

Some of the ingredients.

The lye came in pails

The cakes of soap after cutting and bagging were placed in a granery for a year or so and then ran through a feed shredder to make flakes[kinda/sorta]. the tables in back held the containment units for the hot soap to be cooled down.

The only pic I will show of the women as I don't want to irritate them.

They made 5 batch's a day and each batch took about 2.5 hours to cook. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

That's a lot of soap.

Muse have been very interesting to observe
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Dave

Those are some nasty ingredients.  I guess I can't get pissed at my dog anymore for rolling in animal scat and such - she wants to smell like the old man after a nice soapy shower!   :puke:

pitw

It certainly changed y thinking on where Hoffa is, now I'm betting they washed their hands with him not of him.

FinsnFur

That woulda been interesting to watch. What did the broth smell like as it cooked? Something dead? or like a lard smell?
Were the women hot??  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Being as the batch appeared to be fairly toxic I stayed upwind but I have smelled worse food cooking.  Smelled a lot like soap being ade the old way. :shrug: 
The women are dressed from the neck down with most having a kerchief over the hair.  It was funny at first as most wouldn't talk to me but after I sat and chatted with the 84 year old gal for half an hour they all felt more comfy about talking.  These folk are a weeeeee bit backwards as they are kept rather stupid in order to keep them at home.[kinda/sorta like any where else].  The one 18 year old was easy on the eyes but I ain't into being their breeding stock as I kinda like me kids to have a couple more options in life.
They is interesting folk though.

slagmaker

We have amish and Mennonite around here. As a young man I used to look for the Amish girls going through rumspringa. Them girls liked to...... yeah that was a fun time.

Hawks Feather

slagmaker

FinsnFur

So unless your Slag, it's not a good place to pick up chicks :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names