• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

a bit of eye candy

Started by bowjunkie, July 06, 2007, 11:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rahm

Oops let me apologize Kerry. I reread this and it sounded kinda bad.

QuoteYou spin some smoking calls, as I check your site frequently, but your beauts never make it there.

The calls on your site are nice too, but what I meant to say, is your eye dazzlers never make it there. I hope that comes across better.  :confused:

ErictheRed

Is that in the background what the wood looked like before you turned it into a call?

I would like to see a before and after picture.  That is amazing.  What kind of wood is that?

BasinBoy

welcome to the site Kerry and Kim. glad to see ya on here. loving my call i bought from you a while back

carvercalls

Thanks Todd I hope to get some calls posted up.. What is the process of posting?
ErictheRed   My wife Kim is an avid duck decoy collector that is one of her old decoys in the back ground... But the Oliepod burl doesn't look much better :laf: Thanks Kerry

Arkyyoter

Hawks Feather

Kerry,

Pretty simple process.  First you send $500 to Jim, then $250 to each of the other call builders here, and then we vote (after all the payments have cleared the bank).   :biggrin:

It is really pretty simple and unlike some places there is no fee involved, just the request that you remain an active member of Fins and Fur - do more than just post calls for sale.  If it is a call that is for sale it needs to be posted in The Hand Call Store that is located in the Game Calls Forum.  While I can only speak for myself, but know there are several others that agree, I am not fond of auctions.  I guess my feeling is that if a call is worth $100, then set the price at $100 and see if it sells.  If it doesn't, you either have the wrong price or the wrong market.  I think this is pretty standard for most of the call builders here.  The exception would be Pilgrim who I don't think of as a production builder (read that as doesn't make a lot of calls, but the quality is such that they are in high demand).  He usually has auctions.  This is just MY view and not necessarily the view of everyone here.

One work of caution.  If you ask for an evaluation of your call, you can usually expect to get an evaluation.  If it looks like an unturned piece of 2x2 pine, expect to be told that it looks like a 2x2 piece of pine.  Canned praise for a 2x2 piece of unturned pine won't happen here.

Just my 2ยข and again I am not a moderator or in charge of anything but my own turnings.  That is when my wife tells me I can be in charge of my own turnings.   :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

Todd Rahm

QuoteWhat is the process of posting?

No process, No fees.........just  post away.  :wink:

Oops, there are different sub forums under hand calls. So the only rule is...............post it in the right forum/sub forum, and if'n ya don't.............Jim will move it free of charge.............another wonderful service offered at FNF.  :laugh2:

Todd Rahm

Sorry Jerry...........I musta been posting the same time.

Yipper, Jerrys dead on..............................you'll get nothing but honest feedback here.  :shock2:

:sleep2:  <----------------just love that lil' feller.

Hawks Feather

:sleep2:   Yep, that would be me.   :wink:

Jerry

Or were you thinking that you were dozing?

awh

Beautiful call. Welcome Kim & Kerry. Can't wait to see some more of the calls posted here. What Todd forgot to tell you is before you post make sure you IM all members except him so they have a chance at them.... :biggrin:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

ErictheRed

QuoteErictheRed   My wife Kim is an avid duck decoy collector that is one of her old decoys in the back ground

:doh2:

I saw a show on TV one time where these scuba divers were going down in a river (might have been the Mississippi I don't remember) where they used to float logs down the river to saw mills.  There were hundreds of water logged logs laying on the bottom where they they had been caught up in log jams and eventually sank.  They had been there for over a hundred years maybe almost 200.  They would hook cables to them and bring them up.

Then they would take them to a wood shop and cut them open with a band saw.  It was like finding treasure.  You never knew if the old algae covered log was a gold or coal.  I think they were making violins, table tops and stuff like that out of it.  It was AMAZING what some of that wood looked like after it had been worked.

What does that kind of wood look like before you work it?

Here is a link  that talks about this kind of "treasure"  http://www.american.edu/ted/sunkwood.htm

carvercalls

ErictheRed,Thats very neat about the sunken wood.. Thanks for putting the link.. Here are some pics of the oliepod burl the cut slabs are from the same burl that bowjunkies call was made from.. Then there is a pic of an un cut burl.. Thanks Kerry

ErictheRed

Here is a another link where you can go and see some of type wood they are recovering.

http://www.fwds.com/ETL/index.html

The treasure part is that when they bring up the  old logs they can't really tell what they are until they cut into them.  It could be birdseye maple or some type of pine.  Even some of the old growth pine is prety impressive.

The maple, birch, oak, black cherry and walnut is the stuff that is the real "treasure".