• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Coon callin

Started by browning204, July 19, 2007, 07:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

Can anybody give me info on callin coons?

Minaska boys gave me advice awhile back. They said call into Cotton wood trees<----- I don't think we have those here.

We have the typical Pines, Oaks,Maples,Birch and stuff.

I heard they live near water sources.

Any info would be cool.

p.s. Most of my callin will be done during the day.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

THO Game Calls

Look on the map and find Stirup Iron Pond, it's off Rt 4 north of Boscawen on the left hand side.  About a mile up from the County Correctional Facility on the right and the State Nuring home on the left you will see the State Forest Nursery,  and right across from the Atlantic Salmon Fishing access point,  you turn left on to Stirup iron pond road.  It's the first left past the nursery.  Follow the road back about 2 1/2 miles.  It is dirt. It is not passable in the winter or when we have very wet weather. 

About two and a half miles in, on the left you will see a small three or 4 acre pond.  It sits back in off the road about 100 feet.  Sit down on the bank and call.  Watch the dam side on your left.   Late afternoon is best.  The place is loaded with coons.   It is also a fly fishing only pond, but lots of people poach there.  Not a problem to set up and call with them fishing right next to you.  They pretty much leave when you get out a gun.   

Al

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

browning204

I will hafta look at that on the map. Thanks

THO Game Calls

My bust, it is off of Rt 3 not 4 - 4 is the other place.

On the map on this site they call it Stump Iron Road.  The pond is right next to the road lable Garrish Road which is what the road used to be called before either of us were born.  That whole are up there is very good coon calling habitat.  You have a tiny winding creek that follows the road for miles.  They feed in the creek, but in the summer and early fall, the state dumps trout in there so they run into the Merrimack.  There be some fat racoons up that way. 

Al

browning204

Sweet! I will check it out!  Gotta get my use outta my coon sounds!!!

ohiobob

browning204
What Coon sounds do you have ??? the Old Johnny Stewart Sounds ??? I have been wanting to try that myself,,I use to LOVE walking off of High Walls in the Strip Pits DAMN there is a LOT of SHARP ROCKS on those High Wall faces  :laugh2: BUT I lived  :laf: But from what I have read about it,,it sounds like fun WITHOUT all the cut up Arms and Legs  :shrug:  When does Your Coon season come in ??? I think ours comes in around the middle of November  :confused: :shrug: But let us Know how it turns out
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

THO Game Calls

Our coon season starts on Sept 1st and goes till March 31.

You'll find most coons around here near the small low lying creek beds and small ponds, usually ones less than 5 acres and surrounded by woods. 

But I shoot the darn things on sight no matter the time of year.  They are one of the biggest carriers of Rabbies in the state.

Just a couple months ago, a teenage girl found a sick baby racoon.  Of course she just had to pick it up and take it home.  She tried to feed it and nurse it back to health but it died.  Before it died, she had let about 20 people hold it and pet it and let it nibble on their fingers -

You guessed it, the baby coon died of rabies and all those folks had to have the shots LOL

Al

browning204

I had to get those shots once, Not cuzza a racoon but had to get them.

4 in the arm and 4 in the ass, it was not fun.

The shots aren't bad, unless you hate huge needles. The bad part is the juice that the shot puts in you feels like lead!!!

I swore when I was walking out of the doctors office, my ass was dragging on the ground behind  me.  :sad:

browning204

Bob, I have coon sounds from Wildlife tech.

I have like 6 of them, i forget which ones right now.

baby sounds

coon fight

distress and some others.

ohiobob

browning204
I DON'T know if I want to know HOW you GOT Rabies or not ???  :laf: :laf: :laf: I always heard the Horror stories of the Rabies Shots,,where they would tell you that you get 21 Shots,,ALL in your Belly Button  :sad: DAMN that would SUCK !!!
But about the Coon Hunting with a Caller,I think that would be fun as hell,,does ANYONE hunt them Specifically in the day time ??? or would it be night time like we USE to with Walkers or Red Bones ???
Bob

THO Game Calls

QuoteI DON'T know if I want to know HOW you GOT Rabies or not ??? 

Dating them Massachusetts women  :)

If he hadn't settled down with this pretty little woman he has now, he might not be alive today LOL

Al

browning204

Quote from: THO Game Calls on July 23, 2007, 06:07:36 AM
QuoteI DON'T know if I want to know HOW you GOT Rabies or not ??? 

Dating them Massachusetts women  :)

If he hadn't settled down with this pretty little woman he has now, he might not be alive today LOL

Al

Thanks Al, and your probably correct.

But it wasn't a massachusetts women, it was a Londonderry women. I dated this girl in Highschool. Although I was from Derry and she was from Londonderry (which is taboo) we dated. Her Mom had some cats and some where just cats she found. She had like 5 or so cats. One day a bunch of us were hanging around at her house and one of the cats went off the deep end and went bazerk. It started to bite and scratch people legs and feet and act all weird out of the blue. Some of us got the shots as a precaution by suggestion of the vet.

So I got 4 in the arm and 4 in the ass!! I don't remember if the cat had it or not.

After a little while I got what I needed from the "relationship" :innocentwhistle: and was on my merry way to date that girls best friend. Never really saw her since.

THO Game Calls

Don't fret Mike - from what I have heard, everyone who dates a girl from Londonderry ends up getting shots sooner or later :)

AL

browning204

Quote from: THO Game Calls on July 23, 2007, 08:59:13 AM
Don't fret Mike - from what I have heard, everyone who dates a girl from Londonderry ends up getting shots sooner or later :)

AL

you got that right!!!!

vvarmitr

So it is true!  :holdon:  You can get rabies from pussy .................. cats!  :shck:

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

ohiobob

I wonder what made that cat go Berzerk "on its own" ???  :wo: was it bad cat nip ??? :biggrin:
well at least you DIDNT SPREAD the Cat Scratch Fever  :biggrin: Do I have to Send Ted Nugent a Dime now that I used those 3 words ???
Bob

Vv,that was funny as hell about the Pussy........................... Cat

studabaka

We're not allowed to use electronic calls here for anything but crows and yotes. Is there such a thing as a 'coon call'?
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

THO Game Calls

Minaska has several that come wth the bandit, and I think they have a CD with coon sounds too.

Al

browning204

Yes Minaska has some good ones along with the WT. I know mine are just coon vocalizations. The actually make weird noises.

They are cool.

studabaka

K...... but is there a hand call(s) that can be used to make those coon sounds or would I just go the distress route given I can't use an ecaller?
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff