• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Gator hunting in NC!

Started by nastygunz, October 17, 2017, 06:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambam

Gator hunts are actually pretty boring, but they are goooooood  eatin' .

nastygunz

I had some in a restaurant once and thought it was pretty good.

FinsnFur

How can it be boring? Swamp People make it look like complete chaos :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

I got the opportunity to harvest one when SC first got their gator season. I shot it with a bowfishing arrow and then pulled it in. I agree with bambam, not that big a deal. If I ever decide to give it another go, I will definitely go the rod and reel route. Now that would be fun, sort of like hooking into a Jaws, literally!

As far as the eating, the one I killed was 11 feet long, have no idea how old, but the one thing I do know is it was so tuff you couldn't eat it. I ran it through the meat-cuber with the grain and across the grain and it was still like shoe leather. Wound up throwing it away.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

bambam

The one I killed was 7 feet long, my daughter's was 8 feet long. I spent HOURS cleaning off the fat and cutting it up, but it was all delicious. We got them skinned and on ice really quick, getting the meat cool quick makes a big difference, as with all meat .

nastygunz

They definitely aren't as bony as our famous Vermont fur bearing alligator trout or as some people call them beaver trout:

Much like the ermine and the snowshoe hare they also turn white in the winter time :

FinsnFur

I've tried breaded and fried gator nuggets from some restaurant up here a while back and it wasnt tough at all. It was actually pretty good. They doped it up with something cajun as expected but it was good.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com