• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

They're learning!

Started by Yotehntr, April 03, 2016, 02:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Took the curs out hunting with Bobby for those that remember him from LBL a few years ago.  We showed our stuff and went in right at sun up in full "stealth" mode.  Got set up put the cur dogs behind me and got them settled in, Bobby was about to start and I noticed... a coyote watching us?  :doh2: ... Bobby started in with me whispering stop! Stop!.... I'm guessing that I misjuged the distance to the coyote by at least 50 yards, I was guessing about 300...  the arrow is where she was.

Well after the shot she turned and ran up the hill, I noticed with a limp.  I sent the curs out (they didn't see her) but Dan seemed to hit her trail and the curs disappeared over the hill leaving us a long way behind.  They got about 600 yards ahead and after 10 or 15 mins came back.  :confused:  wondered if I'd made a good shot and it was dead, so we followed the "bread crumb" trail the GPS leaves.  We were about to give up we'd walked to the furthest point and Roi started barking and then Dan joined in.  Bobby said he saw Dan run by, then Roi, then Dan...  :rolleye: wait a min... Then realized the 1st Dan was the coyote, they bayed it up about 80 yards ahead of us under a down cedar. Wish I had it together better at the time as it would've made some great pics and or video.  Dan has figured out the end that has teeth and doesn't get a mark on him, Roi's a little rougher and has a few cut's to prove it.  Here's where they had her bayed.

Little blurred but show's the action.

I'd made a terrible shot, I hit her in the foot, if it hadn't been for the curs we'd have never recovered & killed this one.  They're really catching on and doing well.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

I love these kinda pics. :congrats: Reminds me of hunting with Vargy after one of his big BBQ's down in Missouri. Damn that was fun.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dale

good to hear the pups are coming along so well... y'all make a good team, you slow'em down and the dogs have the final fun...    :biggrin:
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

nastygunz

Cool pix!

KySongDog

Great story and pics!  That last pic says it all.  :yoyo:  I'd say your dogs were learning very well. 

Yotehntr

Quote from: Dale on April 03, 2016, 09:52:55 PM
y'all make a good team, you slow'em down and the dogs have the final fun...    :biggrin:

LOL Yeah I think I'll try to slow 'em a little more next time!  :laf: 

They curs were pretty sore yesterday, I guess dan got bit on the back foot (has a limp) Roi I guess was just tired from the fight, he's the rough one but seemed to come out with less injury than Dan.  :shrug: 

After we got the coyote came back over the hill to this view.

JohnP

Thanks for the picture and story Brad. 

I recently got a rescue lab and plan on using her this fall for coyotes.  Not to run them but to sit by my side and be another set of eyes, nose and ears.  However, unlike you if I shoot they are dead.............. :innocentwhistle:
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Thanks for taking me along on the hunt.  It was fun!

Jerry

Yotehntr

LOL it wouldn't be hard to do better that's for sure John!  I'm pulling the range finder out and plan to start carrying it at least until my judgement gets better.

Dale

Quote from: Yotehntr on April 04, 2016, 09:58:07 AM
Quote from: Dale on April 03, 2016, 09:52:55 PM
y'all make a good team, you slow'em down and the dogs have the final fun...    :biggrin:

LOL Yeah I think I'll try to slow 'em a little more next time!  :laf: 

After we got the coyote came back over the hill to this view.

yeah we can feel your pain...   :wink:

Yotehntr

LOL It's nice to be able to hunt farms like that, wish I could own one!

pitw

Great story.  Wish I'd been there to witness it.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Dale

Quote from: Yotehntr on April 04, 2016, 10:35:19 PM
LOL It's nice to be able to hunt farms like that, wish I could own one!

don't we all... 500 or so acres would be a nice start... 3X's that would be most excellent...