• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

chicken

Started by pitw, May 17, 2016, 02:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

The chicks showed up today. :biggrin:

They always send an extra per each 25 and this year we even got one extra Turkey on an order of 10.   :yoyo:

After making each of them take a drink they is right to home.

This little girl was quite the gal as she wanted a close up but the photog is an idiot. :argh:

Just outside the chick house is

This fellow will change from 100lbs to 1400lbs in a little over a year.

Our meat bill is near nothing and with a 15 and 18 year old's lad's that's a feat not all can attain.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Dale

are they that dumb you need to make them drink so they know how to?... I know turkeys aren't smart enough to come in out of the rain, but to drink, now that is down right stupid...

never lived on a farm, but had 4 uncles that farmed, and one of my closest friends growing up lived on a farm, so I had plenty of exposure to the farm life... unfortunately all are gone except one uncle and he's not farming anymore so I'm without those benefits any longer... 
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

pitw

Dale, ost of them will drink on their own but with no mother to teach them I was raised to dip each birds beak in the water so they know where it is.  Seems to work as we never lost any from dehydration. :biggrin:  Turkeys can be so stupid it hurts but they is the best fly peckers in the world. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

Dale

Quote from: pitw on May 17, 2016, 05:21:57 PM
:biggrin:  Turkeys can be so stupid it hurts but they is the best fly peckers in the world.

LMBO...  "best fly peckers in the world."  I guess besides tasting good, fried or roasted, that's their other redeeming factor...   :biggrin:
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

FinsnFur

Now thats a box of chicken wings! :highclap:

And then there's future steak in the back of the truck.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

You folks in Alberta are living the life and doing it right!

Man, does that box of chicks ever bring back memories of my childhood-- all the way from keeping them in a warming box under a light bulb to a summer day when we would butcher most of them.  We also had our hens hatch off a few batches each year.  One old hen was my Mom's favorite brood hen, and Mom would give her turkey eggs, duck eggs, whatever to sit on and hatch off.  Within days of hatching, the turkey chicks were too big to get under her wings but they would all try.  The old hen would go bonkers when her newly hatched ducklings would hop into irrigation ditches and paddle around with the hen clucking frantically and running beside them on the bank.

Fried turkey beats fried chicken if you fry up the young turkeys when they are about the size of a big laying hen chicken.  Kind of a waste to eat them that small but primo eating. 

Hawks Feather

Years back I had an incubator and would get fertilized Button Quail eggs from some place in the east.  They grow really quick and can crap more than they eat which made for more cleaning than I really liked.

Jerry