• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Showcase, Red Hat Calls by itzdirty (Rick Howard)

Started by Rick Howard, September 05, 2013, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Howard

Hello All,
My name is Rick Howard and I am a custom call maker.  I only make predator calls.  Selling calls started as an accident for me.  I started making calls for personal use 3 years ago.  Early on I posted a photo of a call on a web forum to show some folks what I had done.  While I was hoping for praise, to my surprise the requests started coming in.  As I was new to call making I began sending out a few calls to some valued testers along with doing my own R&D to meet the request with a quality call. 

After many hours, days, weeks, months, and a few years of tinkering, testing, and building I have settled upon 3 calls I make on a regular basis.  I have a long list of folks to thank for all their help also.  They know who they are and many thanks go out to them.  The three call are a Horn Howler, Large Distress, and Small Distress.  I make each part of the call myself.  Each barrel, toneboard, and reed are shaped by me so no two are an exact match.  I use a wide variety of Domestic and Exotic woods for my call barrels.  Digressing a bit I say that I only make the 3 calls on a regular basis but, I am always willing to take on a custom project or make alterations to my regular calls.  I will do my best to craft your vision or come up with a unique design for you.  Also from time to time I will sit down and make something different.     

The Small Distress, which I am showcasing for giveaway, is capable of soft and loud calling with a high pitch tone.  It is about 2 ½” OAL with a uniquely shaped toneboard.  I have shaped a flat spot and a catch on the back of the toneboard.   The design helps the caller hold and run the call without the use of your hands easier.

Here is the call for the showcase giveaway.  It is made from Spalted Maple and have a CA finish Inside and out.

Small Distress:

Large Distress:

Horn Howler:

Formerly known as itzdirty

coyote101

Very nice Rick. They look and sound great.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Good sounding calls.  I especially like the hands free use of that small distress.   :congrats:

By the way, posting videos of the calls and how they sound was a great idea. 

Hawks Feather

You are getting great sounds from your calls.  The 'tooth' on the tone board would be a real plus.

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

Rick Howard

Thank you for the kind words gentleman.

The prices vary based on the materials used and the time required to work them.  On average I would say the horns go for $70 with a modest reed gaurd such as the one listed.  The large distress calls average $35 and the small $25.

The large distress call I have shown in this post is $50.  The call being given away would be a $35 call... If not being given away that is lol.  The small distress calls pictured with the quarter were $25 calls but are sold. 

You can send me a message here or... Email redhatcalls@gmail.com if you would like to pick up some calls.  I check both daily.... Multiple times...

Thanks again fellas.  Good luck to everyone at snagging this little guy.

Rick Howard

The large distress Macassar call is sold. 

Dave

They both look and sound really good. 
I too like that little bite piece in your small distress call.

Rick Howard

HaMeR

Those are some nice looking calls. I've really started liking the smaller calls myself.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Rick Howard

Thank you HaMeR.  The call was created first because I wanted something I could run without using my hands.  Second the size was nice so I could just put it in my shirt pocket, grab my seat, drag, and my rifle and go. 

This coyte was taken that way.  Well... I forgot my seat and my drag but I remembered the really import things....

Coulter

Nicely done Rick...way to find a bit of a niche to fill in the predator call world.

Steve

Rick Howard

Todd Rahm

Very nice and welcome to the family!!

Like that tone board idea.

weedwalker

Nice looking calls. :yoyo: I like the smaller calls myself.

Rick Howard

Thank you fellas!  Your kind words are vindication of my hard work.....  Okay, it is fun work but still hard. :madd:

Okanagan

Niiiice calls!  I really like the smooth tones you produced on the demo videos.   I have had to thin the edges of reeds on open reed calls to get them to start easily and fade to a whisper whimper like yours will do.

Rick Howard

Thank you.  I try hard to get my calls to play with little air or a lot of air.  However the caller feels comfortable.

nailbender

Very nice intro!  Nice call too.  Like the sound on the small one. :congrats:

Rick Howard