• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Where oh where have all the groundhogs gone......

Started by ARshooter, September 11, 2008, 11:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARshooter

I'm in SE Ohio. Over the last 3 years  the groundhog numbers seem to be going down. I know at least part of this is due to the increase in coyotes in my parts.

I'm happy about that. Hunt them on a regular basis now. Almost took the place of my deer hunting. Anyway ........would anyone out there care to chime in, with a groundhog report for their area ?

Specifically Ohio  and Kentucky.

Thanks, Dan

Hawks Feather

Like you, we used to have quite a few groundhogs in northwest Ohio.  Also, like you, there are not nearly as many as there once were.  I talked with one farmer, who was glad that they weren't earthing his beans, who said the coyotes are eating them.  The coyotes moved into a woods in the center of a mile section and the groundhogs started to disappear.  Unfortunately for me, the coyotes don't eat beans or corn and he doesn't have any chickens or small pets that the coyotes would like to eat.  That means that he doesn't want me shooting any of his coyotes that are keeping the groundhogs in control.   :rolleye:

Jerry

possumal

Give him time, Jerry. Wait until he figures out that when all the groundhogs are gone, the coyotes are still going to eat, and his pets might be next.  I had one farmer tell me that the coyotes on his place weren't bothering anything, so he didn't want to bother them. If he'd check with his neighbor, he'd find out that the coyotes living on his farm are feasting on his neighbors livestock.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

ARshooter

:sad: I love to hunt both hogs and dogs. Guess I cant have it both ways.

Frogman

Here in the Parkersburg area of WV the groundhog numbers have dropped considerably.  About a month ago I hunted a field were in the past I might shoot 15 times in one day.  We didn't even see a ground hog all morning or afternoon.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

They all went to HaMeR's to stand beside their brothers in the war that Diane has created against them :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 13, 2008, 01:11:00 PM
They all went to HaMeR's to stand beside their brothers in the war that Diane has created against them :laf:

According to the information gathered by the HaMer news network (war photos)  the hogs are sure losing big time.  :eyebrownod:  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Hawks Feather

Did I mention that Glen lived in this area till about a year ago?  He moved muttering something about not having anything to shoot.

Jerry

alscalls

He says he uses some kind of seed to grow em................... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls