• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

? for you tree guys.

Started by pitw, October 14, 2009, 10:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

These trees should be as naked as a bride on her wedding night :shock: .  We have had the warmest September on record and then on October 4th the temp dropped to 22F and hasn't got any warmer since.  We had a wind yesterday up to 50mph in gusts and no more leaves fell than on a summers day.  My question is do you think these leaves are glued on for the winter or will they turn color and fall some day this fall?
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

What kind of trees are they?
I have seen red oaks keep their leaves all winter after plenty of rain and a quick freeze....they turn brown but they stay on the tree.
However that looks like a light colored bark on those trees with smaller leaves......
They should still be able to loose their moisture......but who knows....mother nature may wanna keep em around. :shrug:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Quote from: alscalls on October 14, 2009, 10:15:23 PM
What kind of trees are they?
I have seen red oaks keep their leaves all winter after plenty of rain and a quick freeze....they turn brown but they stay on the tree.
However that looks like a light colored bark on those trees with smaller leaves......
They should still be able to loose their moisture......but who knows....mother nature may wanna keep em around. :shrug:

They are poplars Al.  All the trees are the same though.  Willows, poplar and spruce.  If it don't warm up enough for the sap to run down the tree's soon I'm a mite scared of what will happen when they freeze solid.

vvarmitr

Sometimes it's not about the freezing, but the amount of daylight in the day.  Walnuts lose their leaves long before a freeze. As the days get shorter this will have an impact on the trees.

pitw

Quote from: vvarmitr on October 15, 2009, 09:24:21 AM
Sometimes it's not about the freezing, but the amount of daylight in the day.  Walnuts lose their leaves long before a freeze. As the days get shorter this will have an impact on the trees.

I always thought that the daylight hours was a big part of it myself but that didn't change this year.  My lilacs look like they could bloom and we got 4 inch's of wet snow last night, they are hanging bad today.  Supposed to go up in temperature today 10C so I guess we'll see what happens after some warmer weather.   Funny part is the leaves seem more stuck now than even in the spring/summer.