• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Native Brook Trout on the dry fly...

Started by nastygunz, July 13, 2008, 02:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

:yoyo: nice, I love them tasty little things, best eating fish ever.

alscalls

Looks like the mountans of WV? Where are ya?
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

nastygunz

Brookies, salt,pepper, flour/cornmeal= MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :biggrin:.........In NH about 15 minutes from my house, beautiful little brook loaded with fish. I ahve never even seen another person fishing there, that picture is where I caught 2 fish, textbok trout hole, current, big rocks at the head of the pool, high undercut bank. They were hittin every fly I tossed in the water but had the best luck with that tiny white dry fly.

alscalls

I love catching them but I do not think I ever ate one. :shrug:
I would rather eat bluegill or walleye I just never liked trout for eating.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Never seen were they? They look like they are about the size of french fries.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

BOW DOWN BEFORE THE TROUT-GODS, BLASPHEMER!..........ok i always wanted to say that to a bass guy FNF... :eyebrow:....yeah they are little but just right for the stream...id rather catch natives that size then big stocked trout all day long. Everything is fake n man made these days, but them little critters aint, they are tougher then nails in their own way. One good run of lumbering down through that stream some day and they will all be gone in the blink of an eye. But hey, then they will stock the brook with bigger fish right?  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

:laf: :laf:
You got enough points from me nasty~ to rise above me anyway, just for getting that tiny fly tied onto the end of your line. :laf:

I couldnt do that. I'd have to pay to have it done. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

I have to look over the top of my glasses to do it haha! :wink:

Ladobe

Quote from: nastygunz on July 13, 2008, 11:34:19 AM
Brookies, salt,pepper, flour/cornmeal= MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Now there are some pictures that make my mouth water.    :yoyo:   I too would rather have a mess of these little guys to eat than even a native bruiser trout, and they are so much fun to catch with ultra light gear.     Lucky man to live so close to a spot for them.

Try them ponassed sometime, as soon after caught as possible.   There is no better way to eat a trout to get all the natural sweetness of the meat.   I lived in trout country most of my life, was a serious trout fisherman preferring small streams and high alpine lakes I had hiked into - hence, smaller natives to the big trout of large rivers and lakes.   Few trout I caught ever made it far from the place caught as I'd build a small fire right on the bank/shoreline and ponass them on the spot as soon as I had enough for a meal - usually within minutes after caught.    Try them ponassed and you'll never go back to skillet trout.   "How sweet it is."    :eyebrownod:

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

cb223

CHAD

coyotehunter_1

Nice fish !!! :thumb2:

Ponnased ?  It's a form of native American cooking. If you have ever roasted  marshmellows over a campfire then you have ponassed.  :laf:
It's just a simple matter of fastening the fish or meat onto sticks and cooking it over an open flame.  :wink:

A "Googled" ponassed salmon:

Photo: bushcraft adventures.com
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

nastygunz

Interesting Chet.....I gotta wonder..is this where fishsticks came from?.... :biggrin:

FinsnFur

:roflmao:
Leave it to Chet. Ya gotta love it :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Ponassed.  Never heard that word, though have cooked many salmon and some big trout that way, as well as chunks of elk.  On the Pacific coast we use split alder usually with cedar stiffening sticks.  At the end, chewing off the meat that has cooked onto the sticks is one of the best trreats.  Cook it slow, so far from the fire you think it won't cook, and like most campfire cooking, a big bed of coals beats open flame.  A little smoke oil and some spices add a variation.  Mightly fine eating.

Ponassed.  The site where that name shows up on Google is in England. Wonder where they got the word?  I learned the method from Pacific Northwest Indians, and many tribes use it.  Will have to see if the word came from one of their languages.  Nowadays, most call it barbeque!

golfertrout

i like bigger trout :biggrin:  they fight alot harder then them 6 inch brooks.  biggest one took a half an hour to land on 4 pound test.   so u would rather catch a 6 incher then a 24 incher?  :wo:  not me i will take the big fish every time

nastygunz

It pisses me off when the big trout grab my fly and interrupt my pursuit of the native brookies.... :innocentwhistle:

nastygunz

Sometimes.....if all I can catch is big fish.....I just say the hell with it and go hunting......... :innocentwhistle:

nastygunz

BUT, all kidding aside....I grew up in VT fishing brooks and beaver ponds far from civilization......so it is a heritage thing....and there is a very different mind set when I am on the big lake chasing salmon or lakers then when I am in the woods on a remote brook that isnt stocked and has a breeding population of native trout...to me as a fly fishermen nothing says trout like a pristine beaver pond on a cool morning with rising trout all over the pond...and a 6 inch trout puts up a fine fight on a 6 foot 2 weight fly rod... :wink:...so in the words of the legendary Jim Champion....SIZE ISNT EVERYTHING! :yoyo: :biggrin: