• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

16 oz saltwater jigs & up

Started by Okanagan, May 15, 2010, 06:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

A year or so ago someone (Fins & Fur himself?) posted a photo of a big saltwater jig he found in a freshwater lake.  I happened to be in a fishing store today and remembered to take a few pics of such saltwater jigs.  These are 16 oz with a 13/0 hook.  The big rubber squid is made for a much larger jig but they were out of the big size lead headed hooks to fit it.

These are mainly for various rock cod such as ling cod and red snapper, and also for halibut.  A decent sized rock cod of 10-20 lbs could take a gallon size paint bucket in its mouth.

Hawks Feather

I am not sure, but I think that is about the size and weight that Jim uses for his large mouth bass.

Jerry

FinsnFur

I remember that pic. It was a huge green Mister Twister.

That there's some monster tackle. I kinda like the High Tech Hootchie :eyebrow: Wellllllll I like the name of it. :biggrin:
16oz mannnn thats a lotta lead :eyebrownod:  ...and to think I was online today looking for 1/4 oz spinner jigs :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Yep, I can like the High Tech Hootchie!

In the second picture if you look closely, that is a 24 oz. jig to the right of the 16 oz. one being held in hand.  Hadn't noticed that.  For me, these work best with hand lines, 250 lb. test so it does not cut hands.    It looks identical to weed-eater line and may be the same stuff.

FinsnFur

I see it now. Baby thats a pound and a half :alscalls:
I cant even imagine. If i threw something like that around here there wouldn't be a fish from here to the St Croix bridge. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com