• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

LBL 2017... Another year in the books

Started by centerfire_223, February 06, 2017, 05:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

Well another great LBL hunt is in the books. After every year I always say that I am going to take more pictures, but that seems to never happen. Though I did manage to get a few pictures. Here is a little run down of our trip this year.

We (Drew, Drew's buddy Chris, and Myself) hit the road bright and early (4am) on Thursday morning. Made good time all the way, even stopped at the same gas station as last year (where Drew got the Sub that gave him food poison). Couldn't talk him into another one this year. Anyway made the LBL before noon. Arrived in time to see a pile of fur on the ground already. Those boys had been whacking them before we got there, so our hopes were high for success this year.

We hit the woods on Thursday afternoon with fairly cool temps (37 or so), cold for a southern boy. I found out after a couple of stands I didn't have enough clothes on. We made 5 stands before it got to late to see, with no coyotes seen; though we did have about 12 or so deer bust our when I started with the cryin' cottontail blues.

Next morning we started out bright and early with high expectations. I had it all planned out, 1st stand call in a couple, you know how it works. Plans didn't go like I had it planned. We made about a half a dozen stands with nothing at all showing it's self. The wind had begun to howl pretty good by 10 o'clock, so I decided to try and get down lower in the drainages to beat the wind. So we ease up into this stand of thick cedars and set up. I started that stand off with an old Verminator call I have, the Tweety. About 15 seconds into the stand I hears something coming through the leave and a coyote stops about 20 yards away. Now I have Chris sitting on my right and sort of 10 yards ahead of me. So that makes the coyotes about 10 yards from his boots and looking dead at him. I will have to give him credit for not loosing his cool when things get tuff. He never moved or tried to get his gun on the coyote till it turned it's head. In the mean time I had already gotten the coyote in my scope. As I was watching it, I kept thinking is he going to shoot or not? Little did I know he didn't have a shot at that second. But as soon as the coyote took a couple of steps I hear that .300 Blackout sound off. So now we have a coyotes out there going ape sh*t. So I go ahead and anchor him with the .223, after looking at it, we definitely didn't need the help. That .300 took out the whole brisket, you could stick a volleyball in the hole that rascal left. Total time on stand till the shot rang out, maybe 30 seconds. That's the way I like it. Here is a hero shot of my son (Drew), Chris and myself. It's awesome to get to hunt with these young folks, makes me feel younger.

The rest of the day was just a lot of walking and calling with nothing showing itself. I think word got out, stay away from this bunch of killers. Don't know that for a fact but just what I heard. From a reliable source.

Saturday dawn with colder than crap temps (17 degrees), that's cold for me. But never the less it was a beautiful sunrise. Got in a couple of stands before the wind started howling. We called till around noon with no more takers. Then back to camp to help Slag out with the stew. Though we did hang out and BS for a little bit before the cooking started.

Here is Hammer giving CCP a little shooting advice. Seems like I heard him telling CCP, you just put the little plus sign looking things right on the coyote and SQUEEZE the trigger. I could be wrong but, well I don't know. With that smile Doug has on his face, he has heard that advice before too.

That Hammer has a captivated audience, he even has Slag, Chris and Drew listening. Though I don't think Drew is paying much attention. An as you can see in the background Straycat, Alphabet and Coulter are engaged in there own set of lies (oops, wasn't suppose to say that), I meant advice.

Slag and myself started with the cooking around 1:30 or so. Slag got the meat all browned up while I took care of the vegetables. Slag, DearDad and myself sat around watching the stew cook and partaking in a few adult beverages till about 6:00 when everyone started showing up for supper. Here is Slag himself using the small boat paddle (spoon) to keep the stew from scorching.

After we all eat till we were about to pop, we all went inside for the raffle and more BSing. That I didn't get any pictures of, I will let Frogman and Pat post those. All in all it was an awesome time to be had with old friends and even a few new ones mixed in.

Many thanks for everyone that had a hand in this whole trip. Thanks to everyone that sent in donations for the raffle, HuntnCarve I won me one of those carved key chains you sent. Hat's off to you for the talent you have, that thing is awesome. It will be put up and treasured.

After a long and tiring ride back home, with many miles to think over the weekend, I can't wait to get back to LBL 2018. Those that have never made it, you need to put it on your list of things to do. All it will take is one time and you will make sure you make the next year. To all my friends, SEE YA NEXT YEAR!!!

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

HaMeR

:laf: :laf: @ the shooting advice!! I was telling Richard & those guys the whole idea was to HIT what they are shooting at!!  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

Great wright up  and the pics are a nice touch. Glad ya got fur on the ground and I really enjoyed appreciated the help with the cooking.

Looking forward to next year and I am gona have to order one of them mugs you made. Those are top notch.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Bluesman

Good post here Ronnie.  Thanks for the invite, sorry I couldn't make the trip this year.  Thanks for putting up the pictures and telling us about the weekend.  Good job putting down some fur too.

JB in NC
Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB

nastygunz

Man that looks like a good time, that stew looks pretty damn good too!

KySongDog

Great write up, Ronnie!  Good to see you again.  I'm looking forward to next year as well. 

Not trying to hijack your thread but I guess we post pics and tales here. If not one of the mods can move this post to where ever it needs to be.

Here is the coyote I shot on Tuesday.  The only one I found all week and I put in a few miles in the effort.  :rolleye:  Took about a minute or two for her to come in.  It happens fast in the LBL woods most of the time. 

By Saturday the coyote slayers at LBL had amassed 8 coyotes.  I think it was riverboss who got 3, coyote101 (or his friend?) got 1, Coulter got 1, Frogman got 1, centerfire_223's crew got 1, and mine.

Okanagan

Thanks for the stories and pics.  Look forward to Pat's account.  Wish I could have tasted that stew!

Shortround

Hey guys I had a great time  :yoyo: I loved meeting all of you again the stew was good slagmaker look forward to next year!!!

centerfire_223

KYSongDog, next time take the leash off of the thing before you take the picture...hehe  :biggrin:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

KySongDog

Quote from: centerfire_223 on February 06, 2017, 02:07:08 PM
KYSongDog, next time take the leash off of the thing before you take the picture...hehe  :biggrin:

Oops! At least I untied it from the tree after shooting it.   :eyebrow:

centerfire_223

I know a few people were asking about Slag's Stew recipe this past weekend.

I found it on here:

Bear’s Varmint Stew

15-20 Lb. Chuck roast
(cut into large bite size chunks & brown, garlic salt and salt)

5-7 Lb. potatoes

1 Large stalk Celery

1 Large bunch carrots

3-5 Lb. onions

2 large green peppers

2 medium heads cabbage

Approximately 1 gallon tomatoes

Garlic salt, salt, pepper to taste

1 10 Oz bottle soy sauce

1 small jar La Choy brown gravy sauce

6 bay leaves

2- 2 ½  tbsp. crushed red peppers

4 Oz dark Karo syrup

2 Large cans tomato Juice  (approx. 1 gallon)
(May substitute V-8 Juice)

Simmer until carrots are edible

Serves 20-25 people @ 2 bowls per person
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

slagmaker

See I told ya it was on the site.

It was a ways back though
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

As always LBL was a blast! Lineman Steve and I arrived on Monday late.
We hit the woods early Tuesday morning our first stand he called in a coyote from my right.
We had to use our rimfires or shotguns! we took our 22 mags and I sent the 40 gr CCI into the boiler room, he went about 25 yards and piled up. We headed for another spot and made our next stand but nothing showed up.
We drove to another spot and hiked up the hill to a large bowl Steve had called before and said it looked really good.
He started calling and after about 3 series I hear something coming from my right and a coyote appears about 90 yards away! Steve saw it also but it was around 140 yards from him. A little to far of a shot, I lip squeaked it down he hill to about 50 yards and i sent one into its chest.
It hit the ground and I turned to look at Steve, it got up and started taking off we both opened up on it.
It ran about 100 yards and started to lay down so I threw 2 more rounds at it and thought it was down.
We never did find it I wish Spot was with me I'm sure it died and he would of found it.

We hunted for a couple hours and called another one in that I shot 3 times just to be sure he wasn't getting away.
That evening Weedwalker and alphabet showed up and Ky songdog was also in camp.
We hunted hard wed and Thursday but never saw anything.
Driving in Thursday night I had a large bobcat cross the road and made a plain to go after it Friday morning!
Steve hunted alone that morning and saw 2 coyotes but no shot.
I never found my cat but I did find another coyote that I shot with my at. Steve and I hunted hard the rest of the time but never did d call in anymore. I really would like to say thanks to all of those who donate these nice door prizes and they're time for this event! Without you it wouldn't be as much fun as it is.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

KySongDog

FinsnFur

Shooting advice :laugh2: :laugh2:
If thats what it actually was, Dougs grin gave it away that Rich was was being misled with BS. :laf:

Ronnie and Johnny...do either of you have any issues with me posting your pics on our LBLhunt.com site?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Coulter

Nice write up Ronnie. LBL was a great time as always. I can't wait to come back down next year. It's a looong ride, but man it's worth it. Heck, maybe I'll actually bring some calls along with me next year since I get grief about not bringing anything every year :innocentwhistle:

KySongDog

WldWldWest

Really good write up Ronnie good to see you man as well as everyone else!
Even you HaMaR! :innocentwhistle:
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!