• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Jim question...

Started by Silencer, June 24, 2009, 04:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

I just hooked up a netgear wireless router to have 2 other cp's upstairs... 

Here's my question, now that I have it "wireless" can anyboday and/or their brother that live near me get into my system ??? 

Thanks    Vic

Todd Rahm

If its not secure they can.

To test this ya can get on your laptop if its wireless and through your connections search the area for available connections. Mine comes up with 9 in my area and three of those are unsecured, and it will tell ya this.

Mine is secure.  :wink:

weedwalker

Yeah Vic, you need to secure your router or any of your neighbors will be surfin' your net.

Todd Rahm

Well not your net per say, but if ya have an information transfer limit, say your allowed to 10gig a month, and friendly neighbor wants to down load movies on your conection, the provider will have a smile on their face when they bill ya.  :wink:

Like me, I have a 10 gig limit but for every 1 gig I go over its $35 bucks.

FinsnFur

They got ya covered Silencer.

Bout the only thing I can add is that if your router offers different types of encryption, choose the WPA/PSK
It's just easier to work with.
Some of them require a certain configuration of alpha numeric characters, where the WPA/PSK just requires a simple password created by you. And when your setting it up, the password will be referred to by the term "WPA-PSK String" in the set up steps.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

Thanks all, I'm gonna have to go through it all again.  I just placed the cd in and followed the easy step instructions.  I do remember having to give a certain number letter system but I dont recall any encryption type deal. 

I was gonna have 2 more lines run to the upstairs but the cable guy told me to go with the router and I'd save $$$$ in the long run cuz they charge the full amount for each additional computer connection.
They dont do that with TV, I can have as many of them as I want  :confused:

FinsnFur

That dont sound right.
My telephone company provided me the router, and I can run up to 6 lines from it.
Either 6 more DSL extensions, or 6 more phones, for no extra cost.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Silencer

There's only 1 connection in and 1 out of my modem that they provide ( I actually rent )  Maybe if I got a differnt modem with additional connections out ?  I'm not sure if thats possible er what I'm even saying lol...

FinsnFur

The modem will only have one line in and one line out. The router actually routes the signal. And since it's such a superior signal it can be split many times. So if you wanted more lines for the phone or additional PC's you'd do it via the router.

But you'll notice it's very difficult to buy a router anymore. If mine goes bad or I want an upgraded one, my telephone company provides it at no charge. And I think they have to since they arent for sale one the street any more.

Tiger Direct used to have all kind of them, but not no more.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers