• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Picked up one of my unicorns yesterday.

Started by bigben, January 15, 2017, 07:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Friday i stopped in at a local gun shop and had a look around. I first spotted a springfield 1903. There was a gentleman right there looking at another old milsurplus rifle.  I looked over the 1903 and admired the gun work done to the sporterized 30-06. The fella said hi and put the gun back he was looking at. We started talking and i realized the gun he put back was a krag jorgenson. I picked it up and looked at it for several minutes and the price tag was $200. We continued talking for a bit more but i walked out empty handed.

A bit backstory i remember growing up and thanksgiving the uncles would drive to the cabin and shoot their "deer" rifles in for the upcoming season. I remember my one uncle always used one of "paps" guns and it was a dark colored rifle with a weird magizene contraption. Threw the years i had a fondness for that old krag. To the point i looked for years and only ever found them for 3-500$. And mist had shot out bores and shoddy gun work. I almost bought a nice looking appearance wise krag but the barrel was shot.

Friday night the girlfriend and i had dinner dates with my parents and her parents. I had brought up to her father about this krag i almost bought. I said the price and he said i would be a fool not too buy it. The next morning i went right back to the gun shop and picked it up woth a box of ammo 250$

It sports iron sights and a bubba'd stock. The bore was a bit green and fuzzy but rifling was pronounced threw the gunk. I cleaned it up this morning and took it to the range. I was pleasantly surprised to see a three shot group at 50yds like this.

Its drilled and tapped for scope mounts and im able to get the mounts. So im thinking about putting a 4x scope on it.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

coyote101

Nice Ben. :biggrin: I'd say you got quite a deal.  :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Good buy.  And that's an impressive group with open sights on a new-to-you rifle!

Dave

Nice Ben.  And you know you'll never miss that $200, but would later beat yourself up on not acting on the opportunity.

bigben

Thanks fellas impretty pleased with the purchase. Im hoping to harvest a deer with one of my old milsurplus guns next season
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

HaMeR

Nice looking rifle & great grab Ben!! Looks like you'll be hunting with one of your Uncles next year too!!

This story is just one of the reasons I enjoy the LBL so much.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Nice looking rifle and pretty impressive target.  Now you just have to wait till next year's deer season.

Jerry

bigben

He hardly ever brings his out anymore. He picked a 300 mag and he uses that. I am one of the few that do not use a magnum caliber for deer in our cabin.

Yesterday my girlfriends step father showed me his krags he has. His father was a well known gunsmith in the area. Two of them are still chambered in 30-40 krag. He however trimmed the mag opening and made it so it looks like a regular gun. It loads from the top and there is a lever on the side to load it. Very unique setup. That one is a danish one. The other one is apart and being finished at some point by him. The final one he made into a 45-70. It has high rise scope mounts that has a peep on it. Has inlays in the wood as well. Really well made. His gun work was excellent. Someday i might be half as good as he was.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!