• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Hello from the "Land of the Midnight Sun"

Started by Tikaani, November 05, 2019, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

Been awhile once again. Last year was the first time in 17 years we didn't bring home a moose, the phrase "a bird in hand etc." applies. We had this moose in our yard and I passed. I was flying in to the South Fork of the Koyukuk on a ten day hunt and decided to pass.

As for the hunt, we saw a few of the biggest moose I have ever seen. Fly in float hunting allows you to get to some very remote areas, did not see any people or human activity for over 10 days and sixty miles. The down side is at 60 is you have to realize and accept your limitations. A moose over a third of a mile away from the river is almost impossible to get to the raft. Remote areas here in Alaska require you to keep the meat quartered and on the bone to help preserve it during extended days on the river.

Our son's electrical company put a flag pole up on our property, something we have wanted for awhile.

The grandsons are enjoying fishing and we are beginning to take them on some remote trips around Alaska. The youngest caught his first fish last winter, a burbot.

As I have been doing for the past few years, I took a Veteran out hunting who has fought cancer and it is now in remission. He spent a week with our family and got a nice 5'8" Black bear off the Yukon river.

This years float hunt got the family one small moose. Dian flew the co-pilot seat flying us in to a remote airstrip a good friend was our pilot. I still have a muzzleloader tag for the Wood River this month, providing there is enough snow and two rivers that I have to cross freeze.

I hope this link works, it is our landing and start of this years float hunt.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Ct30FxhTY_i3dbJiJAst319XmhJHbkz/view?usp=drivesdk

Those few events along with berry picking, salmon fishing and shed hunting life here is just moving along. Just finished our wood pile as well. Hope everyone has a great holiday season.

John and Dian

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Todd Rahm

Hey stranger, glad see you’re still kicking up there.

JohnP

Welcome back John.  Enjoyed the write up and pictures and them boys sure look happy.

P.S.  Wish I was sixty again.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

pitw

Well it's certainly good to see ya again :yoyo: :yoyo:.  Your living is other peoples dreams and I'm betting would be their nightmare for most.  Hope to see a pic of a muzzle harvest later.
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Hey John,

Good to see you're still kickin'. Those pictures sure make me wish I could get up there one more time. Good luck with the upcoming muzzle loader season.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

I am so jealous! :doh2:
I could look at your pics all day John.
Every pic tells a different story. And it's so hard to not get lost in the scenery while taking in that story. Thanks for sharing these :bowingsmilie:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Good to see your handle, John, and hear how you are doing.  Looks like you are doing better all the time.  Love the pics.  Great stuff and we thank you for sharing that country with us.

Your woodshed is sure neater than mine ever was when I lived in cold country!

Tikaani

Hey Todd, we should get together, I will be in Anchorage the 10th-12th of December for the Western Arctic Caribou Conference.

JohnP, the grandsons are great, they keep me young at heart, I always tell them "I'm a 10 year old in a 60 year old body" 

pitw, my old Canadian friend, how is life down on the plains of Alberta.

Pat, this place is like well aged whiskey, you can never get enough of it. If you ever do return, be sure to call me.

Jim, glad you liked the pictures, the truth is they do nothing for this place. I can't imagine living anywhere else. I keep up with your fishing adventures when I get on "the Facebook" lol

Ok, you know the old saying about firewood, it warms you up when you cut it, when you stack it and when you burn it. Just a fact of life for Dian and I. This year we have a plan though, we hope by the end of next summer we have enough to get us through ten years, by then we will more than likely have had to move off the mountain and closer to town.

A few more pictures.

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Hawks Feather

I always have enjoyed looking at the pictures you post.  Not as good as being there, but will be the only way I am ever on an Alaskan hunting or fishing trip.  Glad to hear that all is good with you and the family.

coyote101

All the outdoor pictures are great, but reclining with the grandbaby is the best!

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Todd Rahm

John I would be all over that but I moved out of state in September. Working on the slope month on month off and currently looking to root in Tennessee.

KySongDog

Good to see you are still out and about, John.  60 years old ain't nothin'.  I was 63 when you, Mark and me went up the Gunny Sack looking for Dall sheep.  Thanks for the great memories.   Glad to see Dian is doing well and the family.   Good luck with the muzzleloader hunting.

Johnny