• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Some critters I've seen

Started by 1snafu, July 19, 2022, 07:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1snafu

To date I've seen 3 lone wolves, 2 mountain lions, 1 large coyote hybrid(4" long track). Et a few other large canines I could not ID for sure. Et 1 black bear.

This bear is around 600+ yard marker.

Okanagan

Man, you've got some good camera equipment!  That's a good pic of the bear.  I'm surprised that you have any bears in your part of the world.  Good to know.

Lions are rare to see anywhere.

1snafu

Camera has 120x zoom. 60 optical + 60 digital.

1snafu

Speaking of cameras. The above was taken with a Panasonic DMC FZ-70. Camera has taken a pounding from me over the yrs & has kept on ticking. I do not treat my hunting stuff to well. As it gets knocked around some & taken some stout hits.

BEST hunting camera I've ever owned.

Okanagan

Quote from: 1snafu on July 19, 2022, 12:07:33 PMCamera has 120x zoom. 60 optical + 60 digital.

How do you avoid mirage???  Most of the time I can't use a spotting scope above 40 power due to mirage. Cold mornings at dawn and sometimes really cold days we can go to 60 power and I'm sure more would work those times.

1snafu

Who knows how to avoid mirage. Not I.

1snafu

I had a mild stroke in 08. So my memory is fragmented. I just recalled I did see 2 other coyote hybrids. One of which was paired up with a smaller mousy grey coyote. I hit that coydog quartering through his chest. Knocked chunks of his lung out onto the snow upon exit & he hit the deck. Bullet was a 55gr 223 SN. He regained his footing & hauled ass. I couldn't reconnect. I tracked him 3/4 mile to an abandoned farmsted & he crawled under an old machine shed. Not recovering him? Bothered me for many yrs. He was such a rare canine. A "trophy" in my book. Mousy grey I figure was the female she got away.

The 3rd hybrid was about 2 city blocks away. When I seen it, a farm tractor moving hay bales kicked it up. Seen it for maybe 10 seconds. Canine was average coyote size. But had extremely long flowing body hair. Canine reminded me of a long hair collie cross. I never did get a shot off on it. Met a trapper the following Winter same area as that hybrid I seen. I described to him what that coyote looked like. He told me he seen the same? hybrid about 10 miles NorWest of where I seen it the Winter before. He also agree'd it looked like a coyote/long haired collie cross. I never seen that hybrid again.