• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Black girls

Started by msmith, April 05, 2010, 09:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msmith

Aberdeens that is!  :eyebrow:

The pic ain't that great, but I picked them up at the WV Southern Bull Test sale last Saturday. All are yearling heifers.

Here is the Big Dawg's 4H steer. We had another weigh in a couple weeks ago. He has gained about 2.1# per day so far. In this pic he weighs in the neighborhood of 1075#.

Thought Barry, as well as others, might be interested in these.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

dog dropper

The 4-H steer looks good Big Dawg, mine is about 950 lbs. I am feeding about 22 lbs. of rolled barley and 3 ounces of feed lot mineral. For hay he is getting about 10 pounds of per day. What are you feeding your calf Big Dawg? Nice heifers by the way, they look like they're  going to be good cows. Nice pics. :yoyo:
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!!!

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Good looking heifers Mike  :yoyo:.  You maybe shouldn't have told these guys about a bull testing station though  :eyebrow:.  Big Dawgs steer is doing fine and looks like he will finish nicely.  When is your sale day for the 4H calves?   Also looks like you must have some oil activity in your area by the pipe on them corrals.
Thanks.
Barry

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 05, 2010, 10:06:10 PM
Black girls :laf:

I knew what he meant :confused:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Bopeye

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:

Good looking black girls.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Wonder how long before the yoyo sign runs out?  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

JohnP

These two just came in off the winter range a few weeks ago.  I don't suppose there is much of an age difference in ours and yours, yet there appears to be a considerable weight difference.   We need about ten acres per head while you guys can probably put ten head per acre.  These are the last two of about 450 head we had just a few weeks ago.  They also will be 4h projects.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

vvarmitr

Thanks for sharing.
I enjoyed working cattle as a kid. :biggrin:
Kinda wished I had one or two as a pet. ;yes;
I know .... :loco:

HaMeR

Those look like some nice rounded out heifers Mike.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

GunDog

Fine looking black girls ya got there!  :yoyo:

msmith

Dog Dropper, We need some pics of that bovine!  :yoyo:

Since Big Dawg isn't here right now, he feeds him by volume. Close to 5 gallon, twice a day, (9-10 gal total per day) of ground corn, corn gluten, ground soybeans, and molasses, mixed at 14% protein (this is a premix we get at the feed store) with about a two pound supplement of calf manna.  http://www.mannapro.com/CM_cattle.htm  He keeps trace minerals and second cutting hay in front of him all of the time. Sale day is August 5th.

Thanks for the comments on the heifers. I was pleased as I bought them sight unseen based wholly on their EPDs. I got to the sale late and did not get a chance to look them over. I just got a quick look as they ran them into the sale pen. Fortunately my local vet was there with his dad buying and he coached me on some of them. Gotta love good neighbors.

Barry, I felt it safe to mention the bull test. They only do it once a year and they use electrical stimulation vs massage anyway.  :innocentwhistle: Lots of oil here. Been several booms starting in the late 1800s. Had one in the 70s, and another one now. Can't go a day without seeing a Chesapeake, Equitrans, or Haliburton truck. The guy we bought our farm from, his brother retired from Pennzoil, hence the pipe corral.

http://www.livingplaces.com/WV/Tyler_County/Sistersville_City/Sistersville_Historic_District.html

JohnP. Those are range cattle? Good lookin' stuff! They would be welcome here for sure. Lots of length and not sunken in in the girth and I like the white face. We are small, small scale compared to you. 450 head is about 434 more than we have, about 425 more than we will have and about 449 more than we need. (gotta have one to eat) Acreage around here is so broken up and the terrain is so rough that it is impossible to run very many head. The biggest operation in this immediate area is about 200 head, with most farms ranging 15 to 50 head of brooders. With proper lime and fertilizer, and pasture rotation, you can run one head per acre. That means, on our 185 acres, we will be able to have about 20 brood cows with a few hold over heifers, bulls, and steers for about a total of around 25 to 30. This is because WV is about 75% brush and timber due to the topography. Some counties lay better than others, but we are not so fortunate. I NEED a 4 wheel drive tractor to make hay due to the inclines. I really don't need any more than that anyway being mostly a one man operation and having a full time job.

Hey VV. If you have the room, you might as well run a couple of steers. Sell the one to pay for yours and it should also lower your property taxes.

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

dog dropper

This is my 4-H steer for 2010. His name is Rex.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!!!

HaMeR

Rex is a big boy & looks filled out very well. You're doing good with him!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Yeah HaMeR for a feedlot heifers calf that was going to get a headache this fella has done well with some attention from the lads.  I really do wish that all young people could participate in 4H as it teaches some important life lessons as well as creating life long friendships.

HaMeR

I hear ya Barry!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

When I finally gave in & let Diane have a cat in the house I told her she better not bring the best cat home from the shelter. I wanted her to find one that didn't look like it would have a chance at life & raise it like her own Child. She did just that.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

Quote from: pitw on April 09, 2010, 05:15:36 PMI really do wish that all young people could participate in 4H as it teaches some important life lessons as well as creating life long friendships.

Every year for about the past 20 we would donated three bulls (to be made steers) and three heifers to the local 4H.  The kids that got the heifers had to donate their first calf to another kid in 4H, the kids that got the bulls/steers had to donate some of the money they made at the auction back to the 4H. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

Whats that thing weight Dog Dropper. Mannnn he is one beefy dude. Pun intended :wink:

Quote from: JohnP on April 09, 2010, 10:09:39 PM
Every year for about the past 20 we would donated three bulls (to be made steers) and three heifers to the local 4H.  The kids that got the heifers had to donate their first calf to another kid in 4H, the kids that got the bulls/steers had to donate some of the money they made at the auction back to the 4H. 

John that is a heck of a generous arrangement.   :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Some how this statement doesn't surprise me in the slightest  :bowingsmilie:.  The circle will continue as one of the 4H motto's is "Learn to do by doing".  :biggrin:

msmith

Quote from: pitw on April 10, 2010, 04:35:56 AM

Some how this statement doesn't surprise me in the slightest  :bowingsmilie:.  The circle will continue as one of the 4H motto's is "Learn to do by doing".  :biggrin:

Amen to that!

Very nice looking steer there dog dropper!  :yoyo:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI