• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

concealed Carry

Started by johnoh, November 03, 2010, 02:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnoh

Well I finally went and got that out of the way, and now i am not sure What i want to carry. Any of you guys have any Ideas. I liked the way the taurus pt111 fit my hand but I believe it is a little big, I also liked the 12 round mag. The Taurus  slim was thin and would be easy to carry, but I have heard some mixed thoughts on taurus.  I liked the kel tec pf 9, do not know a lot about them, and then there is the the Ruger light carry revolver and the smith bodyguard revolver. I think i I am leaning toward the smith bodyguard. Well you guys know how it is I go in the gun shop and want one of each. Any thoughts on any of these or any other good carry guns. I am thinking if it is small light and easy to conceal i will carry it more. Well of to work thanks.

FinsnFur

I'd lean towards a sawed off Bennelli 12 ga :laf:

It's not allowed here but if I could, I think I'd want a small 9 :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

The secret to concealed carry is to actually carry a handgun.   :eyebrownod:  So you are thinking right with the "small light and easy to carry it more" thought.  

A hand cannon in your safe does you no good on the mean streets.   So back to the question. What to carry.  Of the ones you mentioned, the S&W bodyguard is an excellent choice as is the Ruger.   Revolvers are under appreciated these days me thinks.  They are simple and highly reliable when, under the extreme stress of a shooting, your hearing shuts down and tunnel vision sets in.   No safeties and levers to fool with just pull and fire.  

The Kel-Tec PF-9 is the lightest, flattest 9mm made.  The newer ones have the bugs worked out so it should be reliable.  I have not owned one so I don't know for sure, only what I read about them.

IMHO, the most reliable 9mm would be the Glock.  Either model 17, 19, or 26.  It is a bigger package to carry though.  Rock solid is how I would describe it.  Load the 9mm with quality hollow points and it works well for self defense.  

I don't usually recommend a 1911 to people for concealed carry.  It takes more training and is a much larger package and harder to conceal.  But if you're thoroughly familiar with it and will actually carry it, the 1911 is the way to go.

weedwalker

I carry a S&W model 39 single stack 9mm. 8+1 in the tube. It's thin and small enough to carry concealed without much of a print. Summertime is the hardest time to carry because of the lighter clothes you wear. Inside the pants with your shirt hanging over it works best then.

vvarmitr

Here is something to think about ...
If you can't get your auto out in the clear where it can work; it's nothing more than a single shot.
Hammerless revolvers can be emptied from inside a pocket.

bigben

I have been thinking about picking up the rugar lcr they came out with the other year. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

I think it depends on what your "need" is and your comfort level.  I have a little Kel-Tec .380 with a laser on it that is more of a "piss someone off" that kill them, but around here that is about all that I think I would really need.  Around here the site of a firearm or a little red dot on your chest will take care of most problems.  I have never really felt I needed to worry about the streets of town.  I also have a .357 Smith with a 2 1/2 inch barrel that is easy to conceal and carry that would be better if I really thought that I would be in a shootout.  Finally, I have a compact Glock in .40 that I also have concealed holsters for.  I don't have a concealed carry holster for the Colt 1911.  The bigger the gun the less convenient it is to carry, but if I were thinking that I would be in a situation where my life depended (or possibly depended on it) I would go with the larger caliber.

Jerry

P.S. Like Jim said, there is nothing like the end of a shotgun to get someone's attention.

KySongDog

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 03, 2010, 10:15:47 AM
.................. if I really thought that I would be in a shootout. 

If I really thought I was going to be in a shootout I'd take this.......    :eyebrownod:

slagmaker

I carry a S&W lady smith 38spc with pachymaier (sp) grips. yeah it says lady smith on the side but I figure the baddie on the other end aint too worried about that.

My point, accetiable weight and easy to carry so I carry it. Lots lighter and easier to hide than either Ruger P89 or P90 that I have.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Roundman

I carry the 4'' xd in 40 S&W. I carry outside the pants and don't really worry about printing. The gun has been very reliable to date with 0 ftf or jams. If I had to do it again I would have bought a compact or maybe even a subcompact. 

The wife has a S&W 642 in 38 and this little gun is perfect. Easy to use, lightweight, and has plenty of punch. It's a little harder to shoot than the xd because of the short barrel and harder trigger pull, but would be a great gun to carry every day.

What every you decide on shoot it a bunch.

johnoh

Wow thanks for all the replies. I am really starting to lean toward the smith bodtgard 38, it has a lazer on it and well most times the dancing red light will get the job done. I have a Glock 34 and love it, my buddy has one of there subcompacts but it is a little big to conceal, and a little heavy.

johnoh

Man the more i look I want one of each.  :confused:

nastygunz

I carry a S&W Airweight .38, I use .38+P ammo and usually use a pocket holster in pants or shorts, very light and easy to conceal at anytime of the year..I found when I used a heavier .357 S&W I rarely carried it due to weight and size:

FinsnFur

Not a hijack attempt here johnoh...just a related question :wink:

Can you walk into a school, business, or other public building with a conceal carry, that has a sign on the front door stating "No Weapons"?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 05, 2010, 06:06:28 AM
Can you walk into a school, business, or other public building with a conceal carry, that has a sign on the front door stating "No Weapons"?

Sure you can walk in carrying, but you get arrested if you get caught.  Even someone without a concealed carry license can, but they too get arrested if they are caught. 

Jerry

bigben

I recommend this site for a brief description of the rules of each state and what your CCP or LTCF permit is good for in other states.  http://www.handgunlaw.us/
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

Were not allowed to carry in schools or court houses jim.  any other place is legal but the owner of an establishment is allowed to tell you to leave if they dont like you carrying. 

KySongDog

Quote from: bigben on November 05, 2010, 09:48:16 AM
any other place is legal but the owner of an establishment is allowed to tell you to leave if they dont like you carrying. 

The secret to concealed carry is to keep the gun concealed.   :laf:

bigben

well yeah I know that but he asked what could happen if we carried into a bussiness.  if they would notice that you are carrying even concealed they may ask you to leave.

KySongDog

Just funnin' with ya.   :eyebrownod:   

I've seen guys carrying "concealed" that printed the gun something awful.    :laf:   Didn't leave much to the imagination.   :nono: