• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

range tech question

Started by jeremy, January 18, 2011, 09:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremy

So im going over my range card for my 22-250. I am going to purchase a redfield 3x9x50mm scope. My question, is the line of sight still -1.5 at the muzzle or is that different beacause the 50mm lens? I know there are many variables in this like mounts, but I need a place to start. Also does anyone have reports on the scope. Thanks for the help.
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Hawks Feather

Jeremy,

Without seeing it, I would guess that it is not 1.5 inches.  I believe if you get it sighted in for say 100 yards, the drop at 150, 200, 250 etc would be the same as it would be for any other .22 bullet weight at the same velocity when sighted in for 100 yards. 

Jerry

weedwalker

You'll just have to measure from the center of your chamber to the center of your scope. With a 50mm scope it'll probably be closer to 2".

WldWldWest

As usual, The lower the better!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

HaMeR

I think the 50mm objective is going to require the higher rings for barrel clearance. Those should put you up near the 1 3/4" to 2" range. Depending on your use for this rig I don't see a need for a 50mm objective. That's just my opinion for whatever that is worth.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

WldWldWest

I like a 50mm OBJ on most of my long guns!

My opinon :wink:
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

HaMeR

Quote from: WldWldWest on January 19, 2011, 02:07:42 PM
I like a 50mm OBJ on most of my long guns!

My opinon :wink:

Nothing wrong with that Doug. But if it's a 300yd or less coyote/groundhog gitter I don't see the advantage. That's all.   :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

jeremy

Well thats exactly what it is. I wont take many shots over 300, but my thinking was just the opposite. I chose the 50mm for those  first and last light shots. I figured I could always engage targets out to 400 with a x9, but maybe could take a shot at last light with the 50mm i could not with the 40mm. If my thinking is wrong here please let me know. I was trading light and clarity for power. I will also ask if anyone has a scope they would recommend in my budget of $200-250. Like I said it is a 22-250 and its going to sit on an encore for varmints.

John Wayne

Hawks Feather

I have an older Redfield and it is a decent scope, not the best, but for the money it is pretty good.  I have it on a .270 that might make a shot at a deer some year (just not Ohio).  As for the 3x9 power, it was a pretty good scope when I had younger eyes.  I used it on a .243 Winchester Model 70 heavy barrel that killed more than it's share of groundhogs.  The 3x9 doesn't show the movement like higher power scopes which can be a plus.  Since I am more of a benchrest, bipod, lay it on a log kind of person I have gone to higher power scopes on my varmint gun.

Jerry

HaMeR

I larger 30mm tube will let more light in. But those are most generally well over your intended price range. I have bought scopes from www.swfa.com in the past & always got good service & a decent price.  www.opticsplanet.com is usually purdy good as well.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

I put a nikon prostaff on my .223 this year.  3-9X40 and I like it.  brighter then anything I have owned but I have always shot cheapies.  I can't wait till summer to hunt chucks with the BDC ret to see how close it is. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

KySongDog

The Burris scopes are real good for the money.   I use a Burris Fullfield II 3x9-40mm and have been real pleased with it. 

Here is a review

Burris Fullfield II

Palegroe

Jeremy just the 50mm objective is 1.968" American so half of that would be 1" so in a perfect world you could keep a 50mm objective center line at 1.5" above the center line of the barrel.  But in the world I shoot in its very hard to do with out some custom metal.  I have always read and with my experience that when you go over a 42mm obj and don't go to a 30mm tube you are not getting any advantage of more light because the 1" tube is only capable of letting so much light in and a 42mm obj can max out a 1" tube so to get the total advantage of a 50mm objective you need to go to a 30mm tube.  They are new to the scene but the vortex are good and I just got a Hawke about a year ago and really like it.  Hammer is right www.swfa.com are great people and you can't hardly beat their prices.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8

jeremy

Thanks alot for the help guys. The information was very useful. I decided to drop down to the 40mm and go with the 4-12x40mm redfield revolution. After reading the discussion, it was clear that the 50mm had some disadvantages. What palegroe was saying made alot of sense. I did some homework and the revolution looked to be a good one for the money. I checked out the Burris and I read some bad reviews on the customer service and the fact that they were discontinuing some of the fullfield line threw up a flag. Redfield is now owned by leupold. The revolution is made at the same factory, same glass, and same warranty. I will give a review when I get it zeroed. Thanks again.

John Wayne

pitw

Quote from: Palegroe on January 21, 2011, 09:15:26 PM
Jeremy just the 50mm objective is 1.968" American so half of that would be 1" so in a perfect world you could keep a 50mm objective center line at 1.5" above the center line of the barrel.  But in the world I shoot in its very hard to do with out some custom metal.  I have always read and with my experience that when you go over a 42mm obj and don't go to a 30mm tube you are not getting any advantage of more light because the 1" tube is only capable of letting so much light in and a 42mm obj can max out a 1" tube so to get the total advantage of a 50mm objective you need to go to a 30mm tube.  They are new to the scene but the vortex are good and I just got a Hawke about a year ago and really like it.  Hammer is right www.swfa.com are great people and you can't hardly beat their prices.

I got to have supper with this guy ^^^ at the LBL last year and it became abundantly clear early on in the conversation to me, that if'n we were gonna talk guns that I'd do the listening :biggrin:

Looking forward to the review :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

jeremy

well I got my scope in and man I like it. Very clear and bright. I zeroed the reticle at 200 and fighting the cows and wind, I just called it a day. Hopefully I can confirm the 3, 4, 500 yrd another day.

John Wayne